AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

ECHL's Reading Royals has special jerseys for Team USA Night on Saturday:

Β 

jersey-front.jpg

Β 

And the OHL's Erie Otters honored the former Erie Panthers (ECHL 1988-1996) with special jerseys, also on Saturday:

full-uniform.jpg

• Like 1

I think the outline numbers were a bad choice for a jersey that already hasΒ  other prominent colours. If it was just a blue and white jersey, fine, but not a jersey with other colours.Β It looks like someone forgot to use the paint can tool to fill the the numbers in with black.

Β 

I do think the shoulder patch is great though, especially for a Royals team that has struggled with them.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

20 minutes ago, zubazpirate said:

Victoria's new thirds look NHL-calibre to me. Kamloops, on the other hand, looks like something you'd see at the 11 pm beer league.Β 

Absolutely… I mean it doesn’t help that it’s an Oilers navy alternate ripoff.Β 
Β 

And River City has got to be one of the worst nicknames to use for something like this. I can think of at least 10 other cities that use the (probably self given) nickname of the river city. If I didn’t know that was specifically for Kamloops, I wouldn’t know which city in North America it was for…

• Like 3

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

35 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

Absolutely… I mean it doesn’t help that it’s an Oilers navy alternate ripoff.Β 

Β 

The Blazers brand has always been so tied into the Oilers because they started as the Kamloops Junior Oilers in 1981 and then kept the colours through the name change after Pocklington sold them off in 1984. They went what I would call "throwback inspired" with their current primary set in 2015, which is essentially just the Oilers navy/copper/red set in navy/orange (and the same jersey template Red Deer has been wearing in black/maroon/silver since 1997), so it makes sense they would look to Edmonton for an alternate.

Β 

Back to the point, Kamloops had those River City alts for last year at the very least as well.

IbjBaeE.png

On 1/2/2024 at 3:22 PM, kiwi_canadian said:

New Victoria Royals thrid jersey:

Β 

GCiuI7xaAAAViez.jpg:largeGCy4eS5bwAEy7sT.jpgRoyals-VS-Hitmen-Jan1-2024.-Photo-by-Jay

I think these jerseys are too dark and I am tired of the numbers matching the jersey colour trend. I think this would have been a lot better if they went with a lighter blue. Maybe it’s just the lighting of the jersey in these photos but it is just too dark imo.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple thoughts:

• Always nice to see them in black and pink again
  • This is reading as phantom yoke, which I kind of thought we were past as a society
  • Based on the explosion/blast emoji in the tweet and the mask looking to be on the shoulder (that is the shoulder right?), I'm reading the return of the "Starburst" logo on the front.

1837.gif

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

Bloomington, IL has been awarded an expansion franchise in the ECHL for 2024-25. No name or branding announced yet but a Twitter/X suggests they will be the Bloomington Bison

Β 

Signature intentionally left blank

18 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Couple thoughts:

• Always nice to see them in black and pink again
  • This is reading as phantom yoke, which I kind of thought we were past as a society
  • Based on the explosion/blast emoji in the tweet and the mask looking to be on the shoulder (that is the shoulder right?), I'm reading the return of the "Starburst" logo on the front.

1837.gif

Β 

I was right, though I was thinking they might be a recoloured Carolina black template but these are a unique template based off theirΒ original jerseys and their Bret Hart Night jerseys.

The phantom yoke is a dumb as usual and I think the logo could be moved down on the torso.

Β 

The photos on the online store also show the jerseys having the Bret Hart "the best there is" speech as a hanger effect.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, ORLMagic86 said:

Β 

Call me crazy, but I'd want to see them go back to their black and pink look full-time.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Completely agree. AFAIK they are the only high-profile North American hockey team that has a strong tie to pink elements in their identity. Why not lean into it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ORLMagic86 said:

Call me crazy, but I'd want to see them go back to their black and pink look full-time.

Β 

5 hours ago, zubazpirate said:

Completely agree. AFAIK they are the only high-profile North American hockey team that has a strong tie to pink elements in their identity. Why not lean into it?

Β 

They have leaned into the pink occasionally over the years during anniversaries and subsequent jerseys plus one outdoor game jersey.

Β 

The thing with the Hitmen is that they have been in their current colours for 26 seasons and only wore pink for 3, with the last of those being in 1998. So as much of a history they have with pink, it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things.Β 

IbjBaeE.png

On 1/17/2024 at 9:03 AM, Dilbert said:

Bloomington, IL has been awarded an expansion franchise in the ECHL for 2024-25. No name or branding announced yet but a Twitter/X suggests they will be the Bloomington Bison

Β 

There was a Twitter, a Facebook, and Instagam with the Bison name.

Β 

It's gone now but there were edits to the team's Wikipedia page that said the Bisons name and that the team would be affiliated with St. Louis.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

This is like the fourth or fifth team to try to make a go of it in Bloomington-Normal and for whatever reason it just never catches on. Among non-Chicago markets, you'd think it would; Blo-No as a college/insurance town being virtually recession-proof versus Rockford being success-proof.Β 

Β 

How I wish we could get a nice little IHL going with Milwaukee, Rosemont, Quad Cities, Rockford, Peoria, Bloomington, Hoffman Estates, and Grand Rapids all being economically viable together, but I can't see it.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

3 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

This is like the fourth or fifth team to try to make a go of it in Bloomington-Normal and for whatever reason it just never catches on.

I hope they don't follow in the footsteps of the San Francisco Bulls by folding midseason.
Β 

• Like 1