AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

3 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I mean its a 10-15 minute, 11.5km (7 mi) relocation. Thats less than what the Cincinnati Cyclones did in 1997 when they moved from the Cincinnati Gardens to the Coliseum downtown. If the fans truly love the team they will follow

That's not really the issue so much as the OHL's overexpansion into the GTA never making sense in the first place. Why should the team even be in a position to relocate down the street from Mississauga to Brampton?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

That's not really the issue so much as the OHL's overexpansion into the GTA never making sense in the first place. Why should the team even be in a position to relocate down the street from Mississauga to Brampton?

Seeing as the team is already established in the GTA and moving to another area of the GTA, I dont see this as an issue. Its not like the area is gaining another team or losing a team. The GTA only has 2 clubs in the OHL in Oshawa and with the Steelheads so while the market isnt crowded at an OHL standpoint it is for hockey overall if you add in the Leafs, Marlies and the PWHL club

• Like 2

Signature intentionally left blank

5 hours ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Why (Orlando Solar Bears)

Wait, that's an actual jersey?! No way, this cannot be real. Who in god's name did approve this, and why? So many different questions for the textbook example of a practice jersey.

26 minutes ago, FCMacbeth said:

Wait, that's an actual jersey?! No way, this cannot be real. Who in god's name did approve this, and why? So many different questions for the textbook example of a practice jersey.

shoresy-goody.gif

It's an ECHL team and they're going to wear them for one night, mainly because their mascot is a polar bear.  https://news.sportslogos.net/2024/01/26/echls-orlando-solar-bears-go-all-out-for-white-out-night/hockey-2/ 

It's minor league hockey; you can't take it so seriously.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

13 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

12 hours ago, Dilbert said:

Seeing as the team is already established in the GTA and moving to another area of the GTA, I dont see this as an issue. Its not like the area is gaining another team or losing a team. The GTA only has 2 clubs in the OHL in Oshawa and with the Steelheads so while the market isnt crowded at an OHL standpoint it is for hockey overall if you add in the Leafs, Marlies and the PWHL club

All my junior hockey knowledge is Western, but from what I have heard and gathered, Mississauga has had attendance issues for pretty much their history. Here are their attendance numbers, click on the bars to go to the OHL totals for each year, and their personal highest average was fourth lowest in the league and their highest I could see was fifth lowest.

I just don't think there's much of a market for junior hockey in the GTA (probably for the same reasons the Argos have lower attendance) and from a Westerner's perspective, I don't know if there's much of a city pride atmosphere for any of the suburbs as opposed to viewing themselves as Toronto adjacent. I, unrelated, came across a relatively recent video from Kitchener's PxP person who talked about the Mississauga market and you can get some of the sentiment the OHL community has towards  Mississauga.

IbjBaeE.png

5 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

All my junior hockey knowledge is Western, but from what I have heard and gathered, Mississauga has had attendance issues for pretty much their history. Here are their attendance numbers, click on the bars to go to the OHL totals for each year, and their personal highest average was fourth lowest in the league and their highest I could see was fifth lowest.

I just don't think there's much of a market for junior hockey in the GTA (probably for the same reasons the Argos have lower attendance) and from a Westerner's perspective, I don't know if there's much of a city pride atmosphere for any of the suburbs as opposed to viewing themselves as Toronto adjacent. I, unrelated, came across a relatively recent video from Kitchener's PxP person who talked about the Mississauga market and you can get some of the sentiment the OHL community has towards  Mississauga.

I'm in Winnipeg and we recently went through a brief spell of having the WHL in town. Despite being an extremely successful team with several elite prospects, it struggled to gain any kind of a following. There were many nights where the Ice played to crowds of under 1,000 people. They just could not find any real traction. With the NHL and AHL already well established in a smaller city, there just wasn't much of a market for a relatively unknown junior product despite the fact that they had an excellent product at a great price.

What this tells me is that in most cities, you will find maybe one or two flagship teams with large, passionate fanbases that kind of carry the flag for the entire city,  they are the focal point for civic pride when it comes to sport. So the Oilers in Edmonton,  the Tiger-Cats in Hamilton, the Wanderers in Halifax, the Knights in London, etc. Then you have maybe a second tier of a couple teams that have smaller but still passionate fanbases. Examples of "mid" teams might be, say, the Hitmen in Calgary, the Sea Bears in Winnipeg, the Argos in Toronto, the U of S Huskies in Saskatoon. Once you get below that you are down to the teams that are kind of floundering without much of a devoted fanbase at all. I'm thinking like Valour in Winnipeg, the Steelheads, the Scarborough Shooting Stars, the U of C Dinos, etc. 

The bottom line is that the seventh or eighth most popular sports team in any city, whether it's Winnipeg or Toronto, is going to look pretty lame in terms of fan support.

17 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I mean its a 10-15 minute, 11.5km (7 mi) relocation. Thats less than what the Cincinnati Cyclones did in 1997 when they moved from the Cincinnati Gardens to the Coliseum downtown. If the fans truly love the team they will follow

I think if I was a fan I'd be more annoyed that my Mississauga-branded merch was now out of date as opposed to having to drive a few extra kilometres to attend games. 

43 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

The OHL's strength has always been away from Toronto, but the GTA grew so much in the '90s that it was fool's gold to the OHL the way Phoenix and Raleigh were to the NHL. Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Kitchener, and Guelph all together with Hamilton and eventually the Marlies in the AHL just put too much strain on Toronto and points west for sub-NHL hockey.

15 minutes ago, The_Admiral said:

The OHL's strength has always been away from Toronto, but the GTA grew so much in the '90s that it was fool's gold to the OHL the way Phoenix and Raleigh were to the NHL. Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Kitchener, and Guelph all together with Hamilton in the AHL and eventually the Marlies just put too much strain on Toronto and points west for sub-NHL hockey.

Kitchener, Guelph, Hamilton are not part of the GTA. They are part of the Golden Horseshoe. GTA consists of Toronto, Durham Region (Oshawa), Halton Region, Peel Region (Brampton and Mississauga), York Region,  and parts of Dufferin County, and Simcoe County.

Hamilton, Barrie, St Catharines, Kitchener are not a part of the GTA or Toronto census metro area. They have their own CMAs. They are a part of an urban agglomeration called the Golden Horseshoe. This consists of the GTA plus Hamilton, Guelph, Brantford, Kitchener, Peterborough, and Barrie.

Its like the Greater Boston area. It consists of Boston, Worcester, Providence, Cambridge, Manchester, Lowell, Brockton, Quincy, Lynn and New Bedford. But if you add Springfield, Hartford, Bridgeport, Danbury, Burlington, Portland, and Bangor you get the Golden Horseshoe equivalent of  New England.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, A_J_H said:

I'm just surprised that Brampton got an OHL team again, but the question is, no matter how good or bad the attendances are, how long will they stay in Brampton before high tailing out there?

Not long. I see you're in Chatham. I'd put money on that being their next landing spot. I know there are arena issues, but I'm surprised they don't have a team already. 

That, or another American market. Possibly Battle Creek, Lansing or give Detroit metro another shot.

sig.png

I hated that Steelheads rebrand. "Mississauga Majors" had a nice ring to it, and it kept continuity with the St. Michael's team--they just happened to grow up and move out to the suburbs, as one does. (City Catholic team moving to the burbs reminded me of DePaul basketball moving to Rosemont for 30some years. Toronto is just Alternate Chicago.) But Maple Leafs uniforms with a fish with its mouth hanging open? That's no good. There was no reason to scrap a heritage brand, absent licensing issues, I suppose.

Chatham is probably the biggest hole on the map now that North Bay is accounted for again and Belleville is in the minors. Lansing has Michigan State and Battle Creek seems a bit too far west.

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

There was no reason to scrap a heritage brand, absent licensing issues, I suppose.

Part of the stipulation for the team being sold was that the Majors name was to be returned to St Michaels. Mississauga had no choice but to rebrand.

4 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

That, or another American market. Possibly Battle Creek, Lansing or give Detroit metro another shot.

Heck yeah, I'd love to see Lansing or Detroit metro get a team in the OHL.

10 hours ago, Shumway said:

Grand Rapids...Flying Toasters?

The logo is somehow better than their normal one at least.

You know what must now be done...the Admirals must dust off the skating fridge sweaters in retaliation 😄

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬