Angels tell Anaheim they're opting out of their lease on Angel Stadium

Gothamite

Keep in mind that as long as the Angels keep collecting that $150 million a year check from Fox Sports (or whomever winds up with the Fox RSNs in the near-future), plus the equity stake in Fox Sports West, they're not leaving Southern California.  That contract doesn't expire for another thirteen seasons.  They wouldn't even get that much money if they moved to another market...hell, even if they were to become a third NYC team.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MadmanLA said:

Keep in mind that as long as the Angels keep collecting that $150 million a year check from Fox Sports (or whomever winds up with the Fox RSNs in the near-future), plus the equity stake in Fox Sports West, they're not leaving Southern California.  That contract doesn't expire for another thirteen seasons.  They wouldn't even get that much money if they moved to another market...hell, even if they were to become a third NYC team.

There was some rumble that Arte was interested in buying the Fox Sports West RSN himself. Idk how that would affect that check, but it would certainly give the Angels a more direct revenue streak.

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

There was some rumble that Arte was interested in buying the Fox Sports West RSN himself. Idk how that would affect that check, but it would certainly give the Angels a more direct revenue streak.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp-angels-spring-training-20190218-story.html

This L.A. Times article talks about that, and practically everything else about this thread.  It's basically a convoluted mess, as far as how the Fox RSNs sale gets situated...a lot of players involved.  I saw somewhere else that he wants to buy both of the L.A. Fox RSNs, and Fox Sports' Arizona & San Diego channels. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Whatcha got me lookin' at here, the weird strip club logo?

LA Live is the area in the heart of Downtown LA right around Staples Center and the convention center. So, three miles away from Dodger Stadium, it's very uncommon territory to see prominent Angels advertising.

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

LA Live is the area in the heart of Downtown LA right around Staples Center and the convention center. So, three miles away from Dodger Stadium, it's very uncommon territory to see prominent Angels advertising.

And I’m presently here listening for the death rattles of Willie Desjardin’s coaching career but that’s for another thread.

VmWIn6B.png

13 hours ago, Gothamite said:

They did that a fair amount when they rebranded to LA Angels back in 2005, too. 

spacer.png

I definitely remember seeing an Angels billboard along Wilshire Boulevard right around that time as well.

They and the Dodgers did a joint billboard for Trout and Kershaw back in 2015; this one was at Wilshire and Highland Avenue in the Miracle Mile District...

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MadmanLA said:

They and the Dodgers did a joint billboard for Trout and Kershaw back in 2015; this one was at Wilshire and Highland Avenue in the Miracle Mile District...

spacer.png

I feel like a billboard advertising the choice between red and blue could have some negative implications in LA, no?

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I feel like a billboard advertising the choice between red and blue could have some negative implications in LA, no?

The people making the billboard probably didn't even think about things like that. Hell they probably don't even live in LA.

2 hours ago, Quillz said:

The people making the billboard probably didn't even think about things like that. Hell they probably don't even live in LA.

People of even below average intelligence could probably tell the difference between baseball and politics. Doesn't seem like a real issue to me. Unless people in Los Angeles are super dumb, but I never got that impression.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Also, "Freeway Series"? Lame.

I like it. But blame the car companies for killing public transit in Southern California if you must.

• Like 1

What's wrong with it (other than the general ills of Southern California urban planning)? I like it as the West Coast counterpart to Subway Series.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like Freeway Series.

24 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

People of even below average intelligence could probably tell the difference between baseball and politics. Doesn't seem like a real issue to me. Unless people in Los Angeles are super dumb, but I never got that impression.

I was meaning the history of gangs in LA and the colours of the two major gangs, not politics.

• Like 3

IbjBaeE.png

44 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I like Freeway Series.

I was meaning the history of gangs in LA and the colours of the two major gangs, not politics.

Ah. Well. Nevermind then. This is why we have locals like you to set us straight.

14 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Ah. Well. Nevermind then. This is why we have locals like you to set us straight.

Yes, it is me, a definite local Southern Californian local. I hate traffic and I drink pop soda. I love the beach but I hate traffic. Did you see the traffic on the I-5? I was just trying to go to In-N-Out.

(I'm most definitely not local, I am Canadian)

• Like 4

IbjBaeE.png

32 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Yes, it is me, a definite local Southern Californian local. I hate traffic and I drink pop soda. I love the beach but I hate traffic. Did you see the traffic on the I-5? I was just trying to go to In-N-Out.

(I'm most definitely not local, I am Canadian)

I saw Bangin' in LIttle Rock, I understand gang stuff. It was like a rite of passage in Central Arkansas. Let's all refer to interstates as the from now on.

It's the inverse of Chicago, where the tollways and expressways comprise route numbers that change or get doubled up such that saying "94" is effectively meaningless. They're all 94!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫