New York State License Plate Vote

Cosmic

https://now.ny.gov/page/s/vote-for-the-next-nys-license-plate-design

Personally, I voted for #5. It borrows the theme of the soon-to-be-retired blue and white plates, but with more NYS navy and gold. All four other designs are NYC-centric, which I would rather avoid. #4 was a close second, though. If the goshdarn Mario Cuomo Bridge is on license plates all over the state, I'm moving.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NicDB said:

Definitely 5 for me.  I think the idea is to split the NYC vote among the first 4, and have 5 sneak in for the win.

I think the idea is to throw out the vote total and have 20 million pictures of the bridge named after the governor's daddy all over the place.

#4 for me. It is the best representation of the Statue of Liberty. The Statue of Liberty isn't just a symbol of NYC or even New York State, it's a symbol of America. And it has E Pluribus Unum in the corner as well.  It would instantly become one of the best license plates in the US. 

I like all of the Statue of Liberty plates though, hopefully the vote doesn't get split. 

I voted for #2 because it most reminds me of the Statue of Liberty plates I liked growing up, but also like #4.  However, we all know that they're using the other four choices to split the vote for all who liked the old Statue of Liberty plates so that "Daddy's Bridge" will win, it's the New York way.

These are all terrible.

New York's plates were blue and orange (I don't care what that colour is called; it's orange) continuously from the 1920s through the 1980s. Those colours and only those colours are the correct ones.

Getting blue and orange plates back helped improve the visual environment. To lose them again will be sad.

I like the current plates so much that I got replicas for my bike, front and back.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 minute ago, Ark said:

I'll never understand font elitism.

I'll try to help: readily available fonts that are more form than function burn out faster than function-first fonts like Helvetica and Futura. When you see Neutraface on a billboard for a new condo development for the sixteenth time, it loses some of its magic.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I voted for #2. Reminds me of the classic Statue of Liberty plates from the 90's. #5 would be my second choice. (Not coincidentally, that one echoes the 2000's plates.)

I also suspect this is some vote splitting gambit to get Daddy's Bridge on the plate, but fortunately I'm not sure a single soul not named Cuomo is voting for those plates.

I would vote for #2. If I had any say, this would be the one and only NY plate. 

300px-New_York_license_plate,_1986.png

Silly trivia: My car had that plate when I lived in Syracuse and I put a Chief Wahoo sticker over the face of lady liberty. At the time, I thought it was pretty slick. Now, it seems kinda dumb. :upside: Oh well. 

PZv8ntc.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

Silly trivia: My car had that plate when I lived in Syracuse and I put a Chief Wahoo sticker over the face of lady liberty. At the time, I thought it was pretty slick. Now, it seems kinda dumb. :upside: Oh well.

+

On 8/14/2019 at 11:25 AM, the admiral said:

An Indians shirt where Chief Wahoo is removing his face to reveal an Elders of Zion caricature for some reason, everyone gets really mad at me but I keep insisting I was trying to make some good points

=

A New York license plate where the Statue of Liberty is removing her face to reveal Chief Wahoo for some reason, everyone gets really mad at me but I keep insisting I was trying to make some good points

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I voted for #5, it’s best looking, best font, and visual wise has geographic representation that includes anything outside of nyc. I’m from Long Island so I love the little light house added next to the nyc skyline too. Not a fan of the yellow they’re using too and how prominent it is, maybe switch the navy and yellow on the line and bottom wordmark it might look better. 

Mets, Jets, Islanders

3 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The simpler the design, the better. You should be able to read these things, that's the point.

1987-illinois-old-license-plate-for-sale

This is sufficient (for Illinois, obv)

Define simple though,

Besides the bridge one, I would say #5 is the least simple out of all of them because there is so much going on. But you could argue that the design is more simple than the State of Liberty plates because it is less detailed than those.

The BLUE and YELLOW plates they have now are perfect, classic with just enough modern...  Why are they changing them again??? And what is Excelsior???  I thought these were to honour Stan Lee with that on there...

shamrockles.png

shamrocklescronological.png

3 hours ago, SHaMROCK said:

The BLUE and YELLOW plates they have now are perfect, classic with just enough modern...  Why are they changing them again??? And what is Excelsior???  I thought these were to honour Stan Lee with that on there...

"Excelsior" is the state motto and its on the state seal and the state flag.

Archived