MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

47 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

You don't think that changes if Billy Beane does one of his semi-miraculous turnarounds where he finds 9 guys you've never heard of and turns them into contenders?

I don't think another first round exit is going to fill a stadium, no

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

On 6/28/2022 at 11:21 PM, who do you think said:

As far as Vegas goes - assuming that MLB does indeed shove this move through in the manner of someone body-checking a couch through a tight doorway - the bottom is gonna fall out on somebody there at some point if leagues keep moving in just because it's trendy. CSA of only 2.3 million people, nothing but desert beyond that, volatile local economy based almost entirely on tourism and hedonism, and yeah that water thing. Also Vegas just put up a new AAA stadium, what would happen to that if they went and slapped down some Globe Life Park monstrosity?

From an urban planning and community development perspective, that's the thing that concerns me the most. At the current clip, Lake Mead might well become Crater Mead relatively soon. (Tangentially related, even up here in South Dakota it seems as if water levels are drying up...and there's a whole freaking river cutting the state in half. And that's to say nothing about the falls that give my current place of residence its name.) So unless Vegas plabs to start raffling off the water in the Bellagio's fountain in the next several years, I don't see how that can be anything near sustainable. 

On 6/28/2022 at 11:21 PM, who do you think said:

I've said it before but both these teams (Rays and A's) have been in limbo forever now. If there was any decent place for them to go that actually wanted them, they'd be there already. Bud Selig was publicly crapping on O.co and calling the franchise unviable without a new stadium twenty years ago!

Ha...the RA'ys! 😆

Actually, I really do have a question about that, for the smart guys on this forum (of which I am not--at least in this wheelhouse, anyway): how likely could it be, or would it even be possible, for the Rays and As to pull a Steagles or Card-Pitt from way back in the day and actually merge?? I mean, apparently neither franchise is getting much of anywhere in getting a new ballpark, one seems to have pretty good fan support from TV but not at the gates while the other can't get a stadium or it's fans back (from what I've read in here)...they're on both coasts (for now), so could merging them & moving them to the middle somewhere (Vegas, Montreal, Nashville, wherever) ever actually happen?

(I legit don't know the viability of something like this; just figured I'd do like one user's name says and throw u a scenario...)

On 6/29/2022 at 11:05 AM, McCall said:

For the first time in their 5-year history, y'know.🤨

Has it been that long already?? Seems like just last year when I stood outside that then-newly-constructed glasshouse contemplating going in there to see a game (versus the Avalanche, I might add--in which VGK proceeded to get straight smashed to the tune of 6-1 or something like that)...where does the time go??

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

54 minutes ago, tBBP said:

From an urban planning and community development perspective, that's the thing that concerns me the most. At the current clip, Lake Mead might well become Crater Mead relatively soon. (Tangentially related, even up here in South Dakota it seems as if water levels are drying up...and there's a whole freaking river cutting the state in half. And that's to say nothing about the falls that give my current place of residence its name.) So unless Vegas plabs to start raffling off the water in the Bellagio's fountain in the next several years, I don't see how that can be anything near sustainable. 

Ha...the RA'ys! 😆

Actually, I really do have a question about that, for the smart guys on this forum (of which I am not--at least in this wheelhouse, anyway): how likely could it be, or would it even be possible, for the Rays and As to pull a Steagles or Card-Pitt from way back in the day and actually merge?? I mean, apparently neither franchise is getting much of anywhere in getting a new ballpark, one seems to have pretty good fan support from TV but not at the gates while the other can't get a stadium or it's fans back (from what I've read in here)...they're on both coasts (for now), so could merging them & moving them to the middle somewhere (Vegas, Montreal, Nashville, wherever) ever actually happen?

(I legit don't know the viability of something like this; just figured I'd do like one user's name says and throw u a scenario...)

Has it been that long already?? Seems like just last year when I stood outside that then-newly-constructed glasshouse contemplating going in there to see a game (versus the Avalanche, I might add--in which VGK proceeded to get straight smashed to the tune of 6-1 or something like that)...where does the time go??

I highly doubt the MLBPA will allow both teams to merge.

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I highly doubt the MLBPA will allow both teams to merge.

The only way the discussion even starts is if teams agree to expand rosters by 1 to make up for the lost team, and the combined team would probably have to agree to some payroll floor clause so that there's at least the same amount of $ going to the same # of players league-wide post merge.

I'm pretty opposed to expanded rosters, especially now with universal DH, but it may be a better alternative to having two teams like this.  It would probably be better if they could fold 4 into 2, rather than 2 into 1.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 hours ago, tBBP said:

Ha...the RA'ys! 😆

An odd number of teams is unworkable from a scheduling standpoint. Period. Itwould have to be an even number of teams contracted, and @BBTV pointed out some of those problems. 

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

The only way the discussion even starts is if teams agree to expand rosters by 1 to make up for the lost team, and the combined team would probably have to agree to some payroll floor clause so that there's at least the same amount of $ going to the same # of players league-wide post merge.

I'm pretty opposed to expanded rosters, especially now with universal DH, but it may be a better alternative to having two teams like this.  It would probably be better if they could fold 4 into 2, rather than 2 into 1.

If two teams merge, the MLBPA will want the September 1st roster expansion to be moved up, possibly after the All Star Game.  

18 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If two teams merge, the MLBPA will want the September 1st roster expansion to be moved up, possibly after the All Star Game.  

Why would that matter?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 hours ago, tBBP said:

Ha...the RA'ys! 😆

MLB has to have an even number of teams. Merging 2 wouldn't work without expanding by 1 and that wouldn't make much sense.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Why would that matter?

They are not going to allow two teams to merge without getting something in return.  Whether it's to move up the roster expansion from September 1st or expanding to 26-30 players to start the season and getting rid of the September 1st Roster expansion.  

I don't think any talks of contraction or merging of teams happens without the MLBPA getting something in return, that's all.  

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

They are not going to allow two teams to merge without getting something in return.  Whether it's to move up the roster expansion from September 1st or expanding to 26-30 players to start the season and getting rid of the September 1st Roster expansion.  

Moving up roster expansion doesn't do anybody any good.  Nobody makes more money, all it would do is take playing time away from players who need regular MiLB playing time.  Permanent roster expansion to something like 30 would be mandatory to make up for the 100 lost jobs.

• 2 weeks later...

Wellp...looks like this Nashville thing is REALLY picking up steam now. Just ran across this interview with Dave Stewart and, well... they serious.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

59 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Wellp...looks like this Nashville thing is REALLY picking up steam now. Just ran across this interview with Dave Stewart and, well... they serious.

Surprised we hadn't seen this yet considering this was the end of May. But read the comment about Nashville and Raleigh and then saw who wrote it.

mac2

• LOL 4

13 hours ago, Red Comet said:

About two and a half weeks late due to the more interesting topics of interstellar expansion and former members posting on YouTube videos, MLB is reportedly going to waive the relocation fee if the A’s do leave.

I mean, if that's the case, at this point why wouldn't they move?

sig.png

On 7/14/2022 at 8:53 AM, McCall said:

Surprised we hadn't seen this yet considering this was the end of May. But read the comment about Nashville and Raleigh and then saw who wrote it.

mac2

Holy jack, man...whatever happened to that guy, anyway? He get banhammered from here?

I think in terms of southern expansion, the only two real options are Nashville and Charlotte (maybe New Orleans in a past life), and Charlotte is much closer to the Atlanta Sphere of Influence than Nashville is. not factoring in a potential A's move, the play to get to 32 teams would probably be Montreal and Nashville.

53Ocz8U.png

20 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

I think in terms of southern expansion, the only two real options are Nashville and Charlotte (maybe New Orleans in a past life), and Charlotte is much closer to the Atlanta Sphere of Influence than Nashville is. not factoring in a potential A's move, the play to get to 32 teams would probably be Montreal and Nashville.

If the A's end up in Las Vegas, then probably Nashville and Montreal. Not really a big push for Charlotte at the moment.