MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

On 7/17/2021 at 11:33 AM, Red Wolf said:

Well if we're putting forth joke ideas, then I would like to nominate Little Rock, Arkansas. Sure, we don't have a lot of the things that Las Vegas has, but we do have one thing they can never have: water.

VaIdonF.jpg

You stay putting on for LR, don't you? 😄 But yes, plenty of water. (And right now, plenty of runoff in that water from that OMGWTFIZTHEYTHANKIN 30Crossing bridge project--but we ain't finna talk about that right now.) Hopefully that's all finished by the time I make it back down there...

On 7/17/2021 at 12:37 PM, SFGiants58 said:

Anchorage fits the A’s more. Anchorage is a refuge for those who aren’t welcome where they’re from, for a variety of reason. The A’s wore out their welcome everywhere they have gone, much like famed serial killers Robert Hansen or Israel Keyes.

I don't know...from what I understand, the locals/natives will tolerate you, but ain't too keen on people trying to move up in there and take over. And now that the oil money is drying up, they're starting to feel the effects in the local economy (again, this is from reports I get from the buddies I had in the trucking world; I can't vouch for their validity). That said, I've actually been up there before, albeit a long time ago, and it was...different, I'll say that. I don't know that I could live there, per se (despite the fact that I went up there to investigate a job opportunity), but visit, yeah I can do that all day.

Side note: do we have anyone on these boards actually in or from Alaska? I half-remember one being around here back in the day...

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Looks like Vegas wouldn't be much of a downgrade attendance wise. The Las Vegas Aviators drew just under 6,000 fans yesterday, despite the weather being humid, brutally hot and intermittently broken up by thunderstorms. The currently playoff qualifying A's on a perfect sunny 75 degree day in Oakland,  only drew 8,572.

49 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Tomorrow is a big day for the A's as the City Council will vote on their Howard Terminal plans.

It's a big day, but not for the reason you list. Tomorrow the city council will vote on their own Howard Terminal plans that they released on Friday. The A's have already said if they vote yes on that plan, it's a no vote on the project. 

The A's have implored the city to vote on the plan the A's presented back in April and asked for a prompt vote on (the OCC thinks 3  1/2 months is prompt). But so far no indication the OCC will be voting on the A's plan for Howard Terminal. The A's are already planning another trip to Vegas for Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile, the A's just landed on the receiving end of yet another bad piece of news, of their own making regarding their half assed treatment of their minor leaguers in Stockton  just hours before the Oakland vote.

https://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Exclusive-Most-Oakland-A-s-single-A-players-in-16323267.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Mobile)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Even the Astros, loathesome as they can be seen, aren't hanging their Single A guys out to dry like this...

12 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Meanwhile, the A's just landed on the receiving end of yet another bad piece of news, of their own making regarding their half assed treatment of their minor leaguers in Stockton  just hours before the Oakland vote.

https://www.sfgate.com/athletics/article/Exclusive-Most-Oakland-A-s-single-A-players-in-16323267.php?utm_campaign=CMS Sharing Tools (Mobile)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Even the Astros, loathesome as they can be seen, aren't hanging their Single A guys out to dry like this...

I was just told about something similar by a friend who's former player (he's a high school coach) is playing A ball in Peoria (Cardinals organization).  He said the players prefer road trips because they lose money at home.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

32 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

I was just told about something similar by a friend who's former player (he's a high school coach) is playing A ball in Peoria (Cardinals organization).  He said the players prefer road trips because they lose money at home.

That's pretty pathetic. I wonder how many organizations are doing it. Of course being a local SF Bay Area article they don't elaborate on the other teams beyond the Astros. But the implication was that most are doing right by their players, similar to the A's recent food for MiLBers fiasco. Clearly the Cardinals aren't one of them if what your friend is saying is true. 

5 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

That's pretty pathetic. I wonder how many organizations are doing it. Of course being a local SF Bay Area article they don't elaborate on the other teams beyond the Astros. But the implication was that most are doing right by their players, similar to the A's recent food for MiLBers fiasco. Clearly the Cardinals aren't one of them if what your friend is saying is true. 

Depends on when his friend, the former player, played.

Hopefully this keeps them in town. The way A's ownership has been dragging their heels on everything indicates to me they're trying to pull a Stan Kroenke "fight and say no until they give up and let you :censored: off to a new market" tactic.

16 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Hopefully this keeps them in town. The way A's ownership has been dragging their heels on everything indicates to me they're trying to pull a Stan Kroenke "fight and say no until they give up and let you :censored: off to a new market" tactic.

I mean it's not what the A's wanted. It's good they voted yes, but they voted yes on something the A's have already told them is a "no". So really all the city has voted to do is continue negotiations from their side. The A's on the other hand have said this was a no. Whether they stick to that or if they come back to the table *shrug* who knows. But it's not the term sheet the A's had asked them to vote on and they're still almost $400 million apart. 

To say nothing of still needing the county's buy in on the TIF financing that the city just rejected in their term sheet. In any case the A's are going to Las Vegas for another scouting trip tomorrow. 

It's kinda crazy seeing a city lose its viability to host major pro sports teams. I'm pretty sure a city that has hosted a team in all four major sports has never lost all of them like Oakland might. The closest I can think of is San Diego, but you'd have to count the short-lived Mariners in the WHA  just to get to three different major leagues

Oakland lost the Raiders, the Warriors and the minor league indoor football team that hasnt even played yet. The fact that they are close to losing the A's tells me that the city just isnt trying hard enough.

Signature intentionally left blank

#*&%  Dave Kaval, #*&% John Fisher, #*&% the A's, and #*&% Major League Baseball.

If I'm Oakland Mayor Libby Schaff and the Oakland City Council, I'm telling ownership and management of the Oakland Athletics that they have until 5:00 PM PST on July 30, 2021 to accept the proposed term sheet that the council approved today, or get cracking on finalizing a stadium deal elsewhere.

After all, good ol' "Take It or Leave It" Kaval and the A's brass must have a surefire, ironclad, can't miss ballpark deal all sewn up someplace else by now, right? Otherwise, why would they so confidently be holding a "gun" to the collective head of Oakland's municipal leaders and rather cockily demanding, "Approve our term sheet exactly as we've unilaterally drawn it up, or we're 'pulling the trigger' on a relocation."?

The A's presented their proposed term sheet and insisted that it be voted upon exactly as presented. So, call their bluff, Oakland. Let's see how quickly a ballpark deal can be finalized in Las Vegas, Henderson, or Summerlin. Or is the new home of the A's going to be located in Charlotte, Montréal, Nashville, Portland, or Vancouver? You know, I hear Michelle Willard with the Greater Sacramento Economic Council is willing to take their call.

#*&% 'em.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Oakland lost the Raiders, the Warriors and the minor league indoor football team that hasnt even played yet. The fact that they are close to losing the A's tells me that the city just isnt trying hard enough.

That's an interesting take considering all that's transpired.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, ManillaToad said:

It's kinda crazy seeing a city lose its viability to host major pro sports teams. I'm pretty sure a city that has hosted a team in all four major sports has never lost all of them like Oakland might. The closest I can think of is San Diego, but you'd have to count the short-lived Mariners in the WHA  just to get to three different

major leagues

Yeah I don’t count the Mariners. And of course San Diego hasn’t lost the Padres. There are a couple cities that have lost teams in 3 but never 4.