NFL 100th Anniversary Celebration

thespungo

Hey guys –– it's been a while.

So, I'm working on kind of a big project. I wanted to come up with something that was more than just a league-wide uniform re-design like I last did in 2014, a project that best celebrated the last 100 years of professional football. I'm nowhere close to being done, but thought it'd be fun to start sharing some working ideas with you all as I strive to complete this project before the NFL's 200th Anniversary. Feel free to leave comments as we go along, ask questions, leave ideas, et.c Or, if you want to ask me anything design-related or talk about past projects of mine, feel free. Happy to talk about whatever you guys want.

My proposed NFL 100 celebration will feature four different quarters that span the length of the regular season, each showcasing a different period of the last 100 years.

spacer.png

The first four weeks of the season would kick off with teams playing in throwback uniforms. Each team would get to choose one home set and one away set from their past to feature. The throwback jerseys would be designated with a bronzed 100 shield. For this project, I'm trying to focus on throwback uniforms that team's have never worn in modern times. Will be tough for the newer times, like the example below, but for most teams I've been finding some interesting designs to bring back.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The second quarter of the season, teams would wear their modern day home and road uniforms. Boring, I know, for the purposes of this project, but in real-life it would give the season-long story a good linear narrative. These jerseys would be designated with a modern 100 shield. I'm deciding between doing the uniforms as-is, imperfections and all, or updating minor design issues while still retaining the overall look and feel of the originals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the third quarter of the season, teams would wear color rush uniforms. Overall I've liked this innovation as it feels like we're pushing uniform design towards something new and interesting. I feel like we're on the edge right now, between old and whatever we might see in the future as fabric technology advances and sports design gets more bold and less traditional. These jerseys would be designated with a tonal color-on-color 100 shield. My goal with these is to try and design a color rush set that teams haven't worn yet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

In the final quarter of the season, teams would throw it forward to futuristic concept uniforms. Perhaps what they'd wear in 2120? Probably not, but that's the gist of it. Here's where I'm spending the majority of my time, starting from scratch to give each team a brand new look and feel that better aligns with their brand identity.

spacer.png

In the past I would jot down ideas alongside reference images in my notes, then work through the designs in my photo-realistic templates. But this time around, because the scope of the project is so huge, I've been starting off with flat templates in Illustrator so I can get the designs right before starting on the new realistic templates I've created. The last time I'd made uniforms with a flat Illustrator template was 2012, here's what I was working with back then:

spacer.png

And here's what I'm working with now:

spacer.pngspacer.png

For the Detroit Lions, I wanted to take what they've got right now and focus it a bit more on the city of Detroit. Bucking the matte trend, I would go with chrome-dipped helmets and reflective chrome-inspired pants to harken back to the flashy chrome of the Motor City's muscle car past. The chest stripe is tailor made for the team, calling to mind both a vintage Lions logo and the Ford Mustang:

spacer.pngspacer.png

While the numbers are meant to be reminiscent of the fat, curvy, and bulbous numbers found on the side of vintage race cars:

spacer.png

10 hours ago, DaBestoftheWest said:

Oooh this is gonna be awesome. Love the whole thing so far, but really dig the Ravens destiny jersey

Yeah! This was one of the first ones I did, so I mocked it up as I was creating all of my new photo-realistic templates. It's still one of my favorites so far.

spacer.png

On 4/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, thespungo said:

I'm nowhere close to being done, but thought it'd be fun to start sharing some working ideas with you all as I strive to complete this project before the NFL's 200th Anniversary.

😅 Man, I hope so! A few random thoughts here.

First of all, your creativity is off the charts. That Destiny Ravens uniform in particular is wild. What is the inspiration on those numbers? It reminds me of stained glass in a cathedral, which gives me medieval vibes to go along with the overall futuristic aesthetic. Assuming that is what you were going for? Pretty impressive to nail both! Are those added colors part of the The Destiny series, or are they Ravens-specific in this case? 

And just wanted to add I respect the work you've done to develop your photorealistic template. I like to build my own as well and can relate to how much time and commitment it must've taken you to get it looking the way you want it. Speaking of -- do you plan to try to add different finishes for the helmets of other teams? Just curious. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your work. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

14 hours ago, j'villejags said:

😅 Man, I hope so! A few random thoughts here.

First of all, your creativity is off the charts. That Destiny Ravens uniform in particular is wild. What is the inspiration on those numbers? It reminds me of stained glass in a cathedral, which gives me medieval vibes to go along with the overall futuristic aesthetic. Assuming that is what you were going for? Pretty impressive to nail both! Are those added colors part of the The Destiny series, or are they Ravens-specific in this case? 

And just wanted to add I respect the work you've done to develop your photorealistic template. I like to build my own as well and can relate to how much time and commitment it must've taken you to get it looking the way you want it. Speaking of -- do you plan to try to add different finishes for the helmets of other teams? Just curious. 

Looking forward to seeing more of your work. 

Some great thoughts. There are some definite medieval vibes in the numbers, that was intentional. Didn't set out for the stained glass effect, exactly, maybe it was in there subliminally because of the gothic numbers –– but I like that idea a lot now that you pointed it out! Always love when art can mean different things to different people.

Like a lot of birds, Ravens have iridescent feathers. When light refracts off of them just right, Ravens can give off a sort of natural gradient effect –– that's what I was going for there. Kinda like a rainbow in an oil slick. After doing that, I thought it was a good fit for the Destiny shield as it felt futuristic to me and exactly the kind of design choices I was hoping to make for other teams.

spacer.png

Haven't thought through multiple helmet finishes for the photo templates. Right now it's just the standard one that you saw in the Ravens example, which is kind of almost a matte finish, and then several other teams will have chrome-dipped finishes. Thought that might just cover everything well enough, not sure most people are nerdy enough like us to care about that small detail in fake jersey mockups. It's fun, though!

Are all of your uniforms going to be on the photo realistic template or the flat template?

Also, that Ravens Destiny uni is a HOMERUN

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

1 hour ago, Chawls said:

Are all of your uniforms going to be on the photo realistic template or the flat template?

Also, that Ravens Destiny uni is a HOMERUN

Everything will be presented in the photo templates. The flat templates are just for personal use while I'm designing everything.

Guest darkpiranha

This looks incredible. Selfishly, I hope you are stuck at home during this shutdown so you have time to work on this and crank these out!

Next up are the Arizona Cardinals, one of my more recent favorites.

Really looked at the color palate of the cardinal bird and took inspiration from there. Darkened the red a bit for a more fierce look, included black where it felt natural, plus a road grey with hints of red. Other elements such as the red section of the face mask, helmet design, and top number notches were inspired by physical features of the birds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

25 minutes ago, thespungo said:

Next up are the Arizona Cardinals, one of my more recent favorites.

Really looked at the color palate of the cardinal bird and took inspiration from there. Darkened the red a bit for a more fierce look, included black where it felt natural, plus a road grey with hints of red. Other elements such as the red section of the face mask, helmet design, and top number notches were inspired by physical features of the birds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Without the two-tone pants and monochrome, this would be a great look for the Cardinals right now. Can't wait to see the rest of the series.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

3 hours ago, Punchy_Gungus said:

Without the two-tone pants and monochrome, this would be a great look for the Cardinals right now. Can't wait to see the rest of the series.

The pants remind of when Russell Athletic tried these for football and basketball. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived