Rochester Royals [NBA Concept]

chestnutz

Hello all!

Recently I fell into an obsession with NBA 2k20, and after seeing the customization options available in franchise mode, I picked up the Sacramento Kings and moved them back to their original home (and my hometown...) Rochester, NY! Did this pretty quickly and it's just for my fun video game team, so not a seriously thought out suggestion or plausibility.

So I whipped up a simple identity system for them, blending elements of the past to create a simple, old school, regal lookin basketball club. I wanted to stick with only one color, as I wish there were more of those (like the Celtics). For uniforms, I wanted simplicity and stripes. And check out those old school Royals shorts, HAD to include them in the alternate). Used some Rochester icons as the nameplates! 

Finally, put them on the team in game and we're looking like kings of the court (with new draft pick Peja Stojakovic!)

Thanks for lookin!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Wow this is beautiful work, i loved how you put up the wordmarks together. Honestly if the team in past actually seen these artworks, i am sure that they would be preferred these over what they had, no question. I wondered if there are any plans on doing next teams?

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

17 hours ago, scottyeagle said:

A little strange to see that the two capital R's are different.  I understand one of them is built from the descender of the Y, but shouldn't the other be that way too?  

Totally get that critique, thanks for the comment! I kind of prefer a bit of variance, gives it some old school character I think, rather than just a font spelling it out. Plus I never actually use that Rochester wordmark, just threw it in for hypothetical future merch.

3 hours ago, JMtexan09 said:

Wow this is beautiful work, i loved how you put up the wordmarks together. Honestly if the team in past actually seen these artworks, i am sure that they would be preferred these over what they had, no question. I wondered if there are any plans on doing next teams?

Haha thanks! Not sure how easily I could have created this using 1950s technology, but if they ever come back to town, I'll be sure to nudge them in this direction. As for others - there's always a sports design itch that I haven't been scratching the past few years, but this did inspire an idea to create accompanying color-based rebrands for Rochester's other teams (Red Wings - red, Rhinos - green, Amerks - blue). We'll see!

42 minutes ago, jbird669 said:

This is EPIC, man! 

Thank YOU, man! 

spacer.png

Well I love everything about this. The Rochester wordmark is especially attractive. Plus, you managed to pull off this identity without it looking too much like a basketball KC Royals in spite of the similar color scheme and nickname.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

19 hours ago, rknig1010 said:

Love how it has the old timey feel, but could fit right in in today’s nba. Great work!

Thank you! Definitely that sweet spot I always aim for

17 hours ago, Maroon said:

Well I love everything about this. The Rochester wordmark is especially attractive. Plus, you managed to pull off this identity without it looking too much like a basketball KC Royals in spite of the similar color scheme and nickname.

Definitely something I was wary to stay away from. I made sure to not look at any KC Royals stuff til after I was done, I was worried people would immediately think it's a KC ripoff. Appreciate it!!

14 hours ago, jdavidev said:

I love this!  And am definitely curious about your Red Wings and Amerks work.

Now I am going to go through some Zweigles hots on the grill for dinner.

Hell yeah, wish I could get my hands on a garbage plate down in Texas!

spacer.png

I would like to see this concept on some other templates - the video game is just tough for me.  I'm in love with the brand, logos and word marks though.  The flower imagery is great.  I actually enjoy the two different "R"s in the word mark.  Definitely provides some character to the brand. The city pride jersey is a bit much for me, but everything is so beautiful I think it adds to have something so funky.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:50 AM, chestnutz said:

Thank you! Definitely that sweet spot I always aim for

Definitely something I was wary to stay away from. I made sure to not look at any KC Royals stuff til after I was done, I was worried people would immediately think it's a KC ripoff. Appreciate it!!

Hell yeah, wish I could get my hands on a garbage plate down in Texas!

new york style deli . com is how I survive out in LA 🙂

This is really great work. Love seeing all the wordmarks and inspirational material. I definitely put the home and away sets ahead of the city pride uniform. The strict two-tone simplicity looks very clean. The top flourish on the "L" in Royals is really cool and something totally unique. I personally like the differing "R's" and nice local shoutout to Kodak. Great job overall.

Archived