UNLV considering mascot change

WideRight

Couldn't they maintain the name Rebels, but just change up the imagery from the confederate guy? Pretty much any type of outlaw figure is considered a rebel am I right? How's about UNLV goes with a type of post apocalyptic, Mad Max style figure as it's new Rebel.

Or play it safe an go with a pirate themed Rebel. Desert pirates... That's similar to Mad Max isn't it?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Or play it safe an go with a pirate themed Rebel. Desert pirates... That's similar to Mad Max isn't it? a Raider.

Fixed it. I think the introduction of the Las Vegas Raiders may constrain UNLV a tad. Some of these options may come off as a bit Raider-esque, especially if it is a pirate. IMO, I think UNLV should adopt a more Cowboy-themed branding, while retaining the name Rebels.

In the past, I had thought the UNLV logo was supposed to be a cowboy because of the hat. In my defence, the UNLV logo wasn't one I really saw that much, I'm not American so the Civil War isn't something I really know all that much about and when I think Civil War hat, I think of this little number.

hat-civil-war-grey.jpg

But when you go through the UNLV logo history, it's clearly not a cowboy. Especially the first logo wearing the above hat and the second logo with the stars in the R.

1JmEXhn.png

The 1980-Pres. logo is pretty much this guy from the old Looney Tunes cartoon, whose whole thing is being a Confederate Southerner.

1ZtLQF5h.jpg

(For some reason I have a really strong memory of this cartoon, I vividly remember him yelling "Belvedere" and then the main character dog putting Belvedere in a New York Yankees jersey)

IbjBaeE.png

or Vegas could embrace the Star Wars Rebellion, use Orange , black and white for colors and have Mickey, Goofy and Pluto as mascots. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

7 hours ago, monkeypower said:

In the past, I had thought the UNLV logo was supposed to be a cowboy because of the hat. In my defence, the UNLV logo wasn't one I really saw that much, I'm not American so the Civil War isn't something I really know all that much about and when I think Civil War hat, I think of this little number.

hat-civil-war-grey.jpg

But when you go through the UNLV logo history, it's clearly not a cowboy. Especially the first logo wearing the above hat and the second logo with the stars in the R.

1JmEXhn.png

The 1980-Pres. logo is pretty much this guy from the old Looney Tunes cartoon, whose whole thing is being a Confederate Southerner.

1ZtLQF5h.jpg

(For some reason I have a really strong memory of this cartoon, I vividly remember him yelling "Belvedere" and then the main character dog putting Belvedere in a New York Yankees jersey)

"Oh, Belvedere . . . come heeeere, boy."

"Say hello to my uncle up in Boston."

"South Boston.  Alabama."

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 hours ago, monkeypower said:

1ZtLQF5h.jpg

That is absolutely the confederate character they were going for.  The “Colonel”.  It’s an officer’s uniform, common enough in pop culture. When Yosemite Sam was portrayed as a Southerner, he got the same getup. 

spacer.png

As did Bugs Bunny when he impersonated “General Brickwall Jackson”.

spacer.png

The mustache, the wife brimmed gray hat; UNLV can give him a feather, and a little fringe, but they can’t pretend he’s something that he isn’t.  And they can’t erase the stain of the confederacy from him.  

Even if “Rebels” as a name can be adapted to something less odious, that logo still has to go.

17 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Be woke all you want. I’ll enjoy my life. 

My racist Aunt posts stuff like this on Facebook a lot, usually preceded by, “this is the last thing I’m going to say about this: (insert obviously inflammatory, bigot-ish statement), and that’s all I’ll say on the matter.  Sorry, snowflakes!”  She then, of course, goes off in the comments, desperate to get the last word in, since that equals a “win,” I guess.  

Your chest-thumping followed by “I’m happy; don’t put your misery on me; enjoy being triggered” is real high-brow stuff. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

OK, I think this thread has run its course. We know where the UNLV mascot came from, we know they're considering changing it. No one is changing anyone's minds on the issue, and while the discussion started as one relevant to sports and graphic design, it is once again perilously close to being completely derailed. Thank you to all who kept things civil and on topic for as long as you did.

Archived