MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

30 minutes ago, Cujo said:

This was the year the Montreal was super loaded, right?

😬😬

Nope, 1994. The year the team had the best record in the sport, they finished in front of only the Pirates (post-Bonds slide), the Mets ("worst team that money could buy" era), and the Padres (Gwynn nearly getting .400 wasn't enough).

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Cujo said:

This was the year the Montreal was super loaded, right?

😬😬

No, 1993 was the year the Phillies whipped everyone in the National League's candy ass, so the Expos didn't even try because they knew they'd just get destroyed.  I don't blame fans for not coming out to those games just to see their team get murdered.

Seriously though, I've been to Olympic Stadium (post-Expos move), and while it's accessible via mass transit, from what I remember it's not exactly in the most convenient location for a city that utilizes mass transit as much as MTL does.  I enjoyed the hell out of my brief stay in Montreal, and selfishly hope that they can build a park in a great location that give me an excuse for an annual roadtrip.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That spaceship could be on top of a train station like Boston Garden and it would still be unacceptable. I don't think it could even work as an interim solution. It should only be used for Grimes music videos.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Nope, 1994. The year the team had the best record in the sport, they finished in front of only the Pirates (post-Bonds slide), the Mets ("worst team that money could buy" era), and the Padres (Gwynn nearly getting .400 wasn't enough).

That's, like, so unnecessary man.....

XM4KeeA.png

10 hours ago, insert name said:

I got the reference, that was just an unnecessary burn. 

Are you actually irritated by someone taking a dig at a sports team on the internet?

Technically, the 1992, not 1994 Muts were the "worst team money could buy".  I remember how pissed off I was that they outbid the Phillies for Bobby Bonilla with what was (at the time) an absurd 5/25M contract (that those idiots are still paying for!), brought in "manager of the stars" Jeff Torborg, Eddie Murray, the shortstop from the Angles, etc.  "Dream Team" plans never work outside of the NBA, and within a year or two, former Phillies manager Dallas Green of all people was trying to salvage what was left of that mess.

That's also around the time the Phillie Phanatic began wooing Mrs. Met, before eventually turning Mr. Met into an unwilling cuckold and bedding the ball-headed beauty in front of his jealous eyes.

6a017d3bd5738f970c01b8d11a79b8970c-600wi

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Are you actually irritated by someone taking a dig at a sports team on the internet?

Technically, the 1992, not 1994 Muts were the "worst team money could buy".  I remember how pissed off I was that they outbid the Phillies for Bobby Bonilla with what was (at the time) an absurd 5/25M contract (that those idiots are still paying for!), brought in "manager of the stars" Jeff Torborg, Eddie Murray, the shortstop from the Angles, etc.  "Dream Team" plans never work outside of the NBA, and within a year or two, former Phillies manager Dallas Green of all people was trying to salvage what was left of that mess.

That's also around the time the Phillie Phanatic began wooing Mrs. Met, before eventually turning Mr. Met into an unwilling cuckold and bedding the ball-headed beauty in front of his jealous eyes.

6a017d3bd5738f970c01b8d11a79b8970c-600wi

Hmm, I didn’t think this would spark a lecture. I don't have to be told twice the Mets are bad. Believe it or not, I kinda know that already. I knew it was a joke but I guess my sarcasm didn’t translate well on the internet. Guess I forgot the “/s”  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

XM4KeeA.png

11 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Hey, the team turned it around by the end of the '90s. They recovered pretty well from the early-'90s, especially on a uniform front.

ay+swoosh.jpg?w=525

That tail is very: 😞

But you gotta love that 90s as hell styled font in the bottom of the card. 

XM4KeeA.png

8 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I haven't caught every game, but have the Red Sox worn their home whites even once this postseason? I haven't noticed any instances of it. If that's the case, they deserve to lose.

Wore them last night. Lost anyway.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

16 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I haven't caught every game, but have the Red Sox worn their home whites even once this postseason? I haven't noticed any instances of it. If that's the case, they deserve to lose.

Game 4 last night was the first time they wore the whites in the playoffs.

So far, they are 0-3 in their regular home white and road greys and 5-1 in the navy and red alts (3-1 in the home red and 2-0 in the road navy). If I were a Red Sox fan, I think I would want them to wear the red and navy the rest of the playoffs just going off of their record in each different uni. 

Just now, DarthBrett said:

Game 4 last night was the first time they wore the whites in the playoffs.

So far, they are 0-3 in their regular home white and road greys and 5-1 in the navy and red alts (3-1 in the home red and 2-0 in the road navy). If I were a Red Sox fan, I think I would want them to wear the red and navy the rest of the playoffs just going off of their record in each different uni. 

Ah ok. Last night was the only game I didn't flip on for even a single inning, so I obviously missed it.

On 10/19/2021 at 5:57 PM, DarthBrett said:

Looking at the Expo's annual rank in attendance, I have to say people are forgetting how much they were ignored in Montreal for so long. Granted, the team's last 10 seasons were sort of a mess in terms of ownership and the lack of trust. But come on, they were ranked near dead last almost every season from '86-'94, which was before the fire sale and beginning of the end for the Expos.  Now Montreal wasn't as bad as Tampa/St. Pete was in those early years, make no mistake. But they were almost as bad or actually just as bad (actually worse those last 6 or so seasons) from the mid-1980s and on until 2005 when they finally moved. The city actually did come out and supported the team for about 5 years from '79-'83, but then after that they sank to the bottom of the NL and fans stopped going to Expo games and never did come back. 

**note that from '69-'92 there were only 12 teams, from '93-'97 there were 14 teams and  from '98-'04 there were 15 teams**

YEAR NL RANK IN ATTENDANCE

1969    7th

1970    6th

1971    8th

1972    9th

1973    9th

1974    9th

1975    9th

1976 11th

1977    6th

1978    7th

1979    4th

1980    4th

1981    3rd

1982    3rd

1983   2nd

1984    8th

1985    8th

1986  11th

1987    9th

1988  11th

1989  10th

1990  10th

1991  12th

1992  10th

1993  13th

1994  11th

1995  10th

1996  11th

1997  13th

1998  15th

1999  15th

2000  15th

2001  15th

2002  15th

2003  15th

2004  15th

Just to be clear about the numbers here: The NL had 16 teams at the time. So, to add insult to injury, the Expos were actually 16th from 98 to 04. Oof.

8 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Just to be clear about the numbers here: The NL had 16 teams at the time. So, to add insult to injury, the Expos were actually 16th from 98 to 04. Oof.

Good catch! Totally forgot Milwaukee switching to the NL in '98 gave them 16 teams until Houston switched to the AL. 

On 10/21/2021 at 11:09 PM, monkeypower said:

Excuse me?

Conan O'brien loved taking shots at the Mets. Had skits such as the one above, another where Mr. Met attempt suicide via hanging (head was too big to fit) and another where he was a prostitute. 

XM4KeeA.png

Archived