MLB 2021

SportsLogos.Net News

3 hours ago, 5ss22 said:

This entire discussion has been about regular season attendance. Tampa Bay has hosted two World Series games ever, and they were both sold out.

By Phillies fans.  It was cheaper to 1) fly to StP, 2) pay for lodging, and 3) get a game ticket than it was to attend a game in Phila.

I know first hand because I looked into it at the time, and I know people that actually went.  Watch the replay of the games - there were plenty of cheers for the Phillies.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BBTV said:

By Phillies fans.  It was cheaper to 1) fly to StP, 2) pay for lodging, and 3) get a game ticket than it was to attend a game in Phila.

I know first hand because I looked into it at the time, and I know people that actually went.  Watch the replay of the games - there were plenty of cheers for the Phillies.

Assuming this is true (I’m sure there is some truth to it), who cares? The crux of this isn’t whether the Rays can ever have a fan base like the Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs it’s whether Tampa is one of the 30 best cities to host MLB games in. I think it’s pretty clear that any other potential market is just as much or more of a risk than Tampa and moving the team would be a big mistake. This isn’t MLS where there are a dozen unclaimed markets that would succeed.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

16 minutes ago, JTernup said:

Assuming this is true (I’m sure there is some truth to it), who cares? The crux of this isn’t whether the Rays can ever have a fan base like the Phillies, Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs it’s whether Tampa is one of the 30 best cities to host MLB games in. I think it’s pretty clear that any other potential market is just as much or more of a risk than Tampa and moving the team would be a big mistake. This isn’t MLS where there are a dozen unclaimed markets that would succeed.

Why would it be more of a risk when Tampa has already shown they aren’t. Tampa is currently not supporting the team and it won’t change with a new stadium regardless what the diehards think. Might as well try some place else where you have the opportunity to have fan support. Even if they don’t it’s just moving from one non supporting fan base to another.

1 hour ago, JTernup said:

I think it’s pretty clear that any other potential market is just as much or more of a risk than Tampa and moving the team would be a big mistake. 

The first part is true.  Any other potential market is just as much of a risk.  They could F it up just like Tampa did.  

But the second part is absolutely not true.  It's not clear at all that moving the team would be a mistake.  We all seem to agree that baseball in Tampa cannot succeed - or even be given a fair shot - without the stadium issue being rectified.  So far there's no reason to think that will ever happen.  Therefore, any other market that can at least generate at least the same local revenue wouldn't be worse than Tampa.  While I don't know what their TV deal is, given the stadium situation, I can't imagine that they make a ton of money.  I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, dont care said:

Family is from New England, New England teams got good at the same time

So you were born in Florida and have an allegiance to New England that you aren't from. Then criticize the Tampa Bay area for not building a fan base? 

Wow.  

3 hours ago, dont care said:

Tampa is currently not supporting the team 

You have this mentality cause YOU ARE not supporting the team...so you associate everyone must have the same mentality that you have. 

You already established that you for some reason are a fan of New England teams even though you live in Florida. And then like to point when when The Rays and other teams have issues with fans. Guess what. This isn't just a Rays issue. This is throughout organized sports. Many people like you do this. You are probably the same person that says how they don't like a food even though they never tried it. 

Just step out of the conversation. You have already shown that you don't want baseball to succeed in Tampa cause it impacts the Red Sox. So you have motives. 

2 hours ago, selgy said:

So you were born in Florida and have an allegiance to New England that you aren't from. Then criticize the Tampa Bay area for not building a fan base? 

Wow.  

Yeah, it's an extremely funny reveal but I don't know if this is the gotcha you think it is. I don't think it matters who they're a fan of and where they're from. If anything, they're an example of the Tampa Bay area not building a fanbase. If Tampa were able to build a fanbase, maybe they are a Rays fan today. (They could also be from somewhere not close to Tampa so they might not have any connection to Tampa in the first place)

1 hour ago, selgy said:

You have this mentality cause YOU ARE not supporting the team...so you associate everyone must have the same mentality that you have. 

It's been established on both sides of the argument in this thread that Tampa isn't supporting the Rays. So they're clearly not the only one with that mentality.

1 hour ago, selgy said:

You already established that you for some reason are a fan of New England teams even though you live in Florida. And then like to point when when The Rays and other teams have issues with fans. Guess what. This isn't just a Rays issue. This is throughout organized sports. Many people like you do this.

I don't entirely know what you mean in this paragraph. What issue with fans throughout organized sports? Many people like them do what? I'm actually asking because I want to understand.

1 hour ago, selgy said:

You are probably the same person that says how they don't like a food even though they never tried it. 

Again, like I said at the top, maybe if the restaurant was in a better location or was filled to capacity every night and the positive reviews were buzzing everywhere then they'd try the food. But it's not, so why get mad at them for sticking with the home cooked meal that's been in the family for generations instead of going and trying the food that nobody's really making look all that tasty in a restaurant that's not that cool and really far away. They're also not the only person in Florida not trying the food.

(Admittedly, I think I lost the metaphor a bit there. I thought it started well but I don't know if I stuck the landing)

1 hour ago, selgy said:

Just step out of the conversation. You have already shown that you don't want baseball to succeed in Tampa cause it impacts the Red Sox. So you have motives. 

dont care, your cover is blown. I don't see how the success of baseball in Tampa impacts the Red Sox, unless they are angling for the Rays to relocate to a city that would take them out of the AL East.

IbjBaeE.png

9 hours ago, selgy said:

You already established that you for some reason are a fan of New England teams even though you live in Florida. And then like to point when when The Rays and other teams have issues with fans. Guess what. This isn't just a Rays issue. This is throughout organized sports. Many people like you do this. You are probably the same person that says how they don't like a food even though they never tried it. 

I have this mentality because because Tampa as a whole isn’t supporting the team. Fans of the team are few and far between when compared to other fan bases anywhere but maybe Miami. That’s it. I’ll ignore your personal attacks because I guess saying the rays should move touched a nerve for you.

10 hours ago, selgy said:

Wow.  

It is not uncommon for people to keep their sports allegiances to where they grew up, or to what their families passed to them. That should not be breaking news in Snowbird Country of all places. (I've said this before specifically about MLS, which has an advantage in traditionally "bad" sports markets as being a blank slate local team for transplants who might carry baggage for Big Four teams.)

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Was sort of curious regarding  how much Bos and NY draw more when they come to town so I decided to just look at 2019 since there were no Covid worries or capacity limits that season. The Yankees for almost every other AL team draw way more extra fans to games than Boston does. Sometimes Boston didn't really draw any more than a normal home game for some teams. There were a few exceptions though, like Seattle and Houston, where Boston drew a lot more than the Yankees did.

Even more odd...there were a couple of teams that drew less those games (Oakland and Houston)! LOL So maybe those teams actually turn some people off to going in those cities? I mean, it makes sense (no offense to Yankee or Red Sox fans, but I hate those teams with a passion and usually avoid going to those games myself) but didn't think it would be enough to show up on the attendance records. At first I thought it was maybe because of weather, but I noticed this weird phenomenon with Houston games where weather would not play a factor. So who knows...

Anyways, here are the numbers I got

SEA        AVG ATTENDANCE                              22.1K
SEA        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE      31.6K  (+9500)

CHW     AVG ATTENDANCE                            20.4K
CHW     AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE     28.7K  (+8300)

CLE         AVG ATTENDANCE                            21.5K
CLE         AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE     28.9K  (+7400)

TEX        AVG ATTENDANCE                             26.3K
TEX        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE     33.7K  (+7400)

BAL        AVG ATTENDANCE                            16.1K
BAL        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE    21.6K  (+5500)

TBR        AVG ATTENDANCE                            14.5K
TBR        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE    19.5K  (+5000)

MIN        AVG ATTENDANCE                            28.4K
MIN        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE     32.1K  (+3700)

DET        AVG ATTENDANCE                            18.5K
DET        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE     21.8K  (+3300)

LAA        AVG ATTENDANCE                             37.3K
LAA        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE     39.0K  (+1700)

TOR        AVG ATTENDANCE                           21.6K
TOR        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE    23.0K  (+1400)

KCR        AVG ATTENDANCE                            18.3K
KCR        AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE    19.0K  (+700)

HOU      AVG ATTENDANCE                             35.3K
HOU      AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE      34.0K  (-1300)

OAK       AVG ATTENDANCE                            20.6K
OAK       AVG BOS/NYY ATTENDANCE    17.5K  (-3100)

As you can see, Oakland and Houston were actually negatively effected by Bos and NY showing up. Also interesting to note is that those two teams don't appear to really draw a lot more fans in cities like Kansas City, Toronto or Anaheim.  Or at least in 2019 they didn't.

And yes, Red Sox and Yankee games attract more fans when they are in town to play the Rays. But as you can see, at least in 2019, that the effect was much more more pronounced in cities like Dallas/Ft.Worth/Arlington, Cleveland, Chicago and Seattle. 

14 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

Back to uniform news… 

MLB has given Boston permission to wear city edition uniforms in the playoffs… this could be horrible. 

Well since this thread's done already been Rayjacked as it is...may I take this moment to point out how THAT could work as TB's primary colorway?

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I have a friend whose family is from New York so he instinctively likes the Yankees yet because he lives in Maryland, he has a soft spot for the Orioles.

It shouldn’t be that hard of a concept to grasp that family trends tend to dictate your sports fandom allegiance.

2 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

Back to uniform news… 

MLB has given Boston permission to wear city edition uniforms in the playoffs… this could be horrible. 

Their red and navy jerseys in the playoffs are enough to piss me off. These would add insult to injury..

4 hours ago, DarthBrett said:

As you can see, Oakland and Houston were actually negatively effected by Bos and NY showing up. Also interesting to note is that those two teams don't appear to really draw a lot more fans in cities like Kansas City, Toronto or Anaheim.  Or at least in 2019 they didn't.

And yes, Red Sox and Yankee games attract more fans when they are in town to play the Rays. But as you can see, at least in 2019, that the effect was much more more pronounced in cities like Dallas/Ft.Worth/Arlington, Cleveland, Chicago and Seattle. 

My guess that's a combination of small sample size and the likelihood that the A's and Astros were playing the Red Sox and Yankees on weekdays. If those were Fri-Sun series, it would be a different story.

Archived