XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

34 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Pre-existing NFL market.

Cold weather city.

But for whatever reason, the XFL works in DC!

FqezHkaXgAIattk?format=jpg&name=large

It’s pretty amazing, isn’t it? I wonder if it’s the lower price point in an otherwise expensive market that makes it so appealing?

• Like 1

DC vs STL was a fantastic watch. Had just about everything! 

- Great atmosphere

- Beer Snake

- Lemon tossing

- High scoring (34-28 final)

- Entertaining sideline interviews

- Nail-biting finish

-10 minutes of brawling

c8b.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

I'd say the difference with DC is also that the team is actually in DC and not Landover, MD. This is what makes me think a potential team at NYCFC's new stadium could possibly work better than at MetLife. You could probably get enough locals in Queens and nearby in the other boroughs to come to a game better than having to travel to Jersey and watch them at a (more than) half empty NFL stadium that you may not even get to see either NFL teams play at.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

It’s pretty amazing, isn’t it? I wonder if it’s the lower price point in an otherwise expensive market that makes it so appealing?

The appeal of Audi Field, since it's a new stadium that won't be leaking toilet water or have unstable fan railings.  Also, owners (The Rock, Dany Garcia and Gerry Cardinale) who don't have a thousand federal investigations looming.  The lower price point does also help.  

• Like 1

Stoops's dad died from a heart attack on a sideline while coaching, which was a big part of his retiring from OU relatively early. I imagine the XFL let's him scratch the coaching itch in a mostly stress-free way. 

IUe6Hvh.png

49 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Audi Field seats 20,000

The beer snake brought 4,000 more fans to the yard.

And for comparison, Audi averaged 16,000 over 3 games in 2020. Week 1 was a pretty bad turnout for DC.

6uXNWAo.png

I think the weather was pretty bad in Seattle in week 2, so I won't judge their turnout yet. They did really well in 2020. DC was on par with Arlington and Dallas before today, so that's a good sign to see them increase. I'm not expecting 2020 numbers (outside of St. Louis and San Antonio). Dallas was down 41 from week 1, so they stayed about the same at just over 12,000. Interested to see what Houston does. They're arguably the best team, but dropped 1,000 from week 1 to week 2.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I should know this, but can someone fill me in on why Ta'amu did not return to St. Louis?

Every team started from scratch. Nobody went back to their teams from 2020. Plus, I think he even signed back with the league well after the draft (I could me mistaken on that). He also played in the USFL last year, so he might've been thought to be back with them this year. He was on multiple NFL offseason and/or practice squads in between.

• Like 1