XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

It looks like a pretty sparse crowd I’m Orlando. 

I really wish alternative leagues like this would aim for promising mid- to lower-tier markets that could build more local buzz. 

I can’t help but think a franchise in Omaha, Albuquerque or OKC would draw better from the local markets than what we’re seeing in some of these current XFL cities. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I really wish alternative leagues like this would aim for promising mid- to lower-tier markets that could build more local buzz. 

I can’t help but think a franchise in Omaha, Albuquerque or OKC would draw better from the local markets than what we’re seeing in some of these current XFL cities. 

OKC has no venue at this moment that would host alternative football unless it's Taft Stadium, where the OKC Energy FC of the USL Championship played until they announced that they were on an indefinite hiatus due to field issues.  OKC is hoping for the MAPS 4 Stadium to happen by 2026.  

Just now, GDAWG said:

OKC has no venue at this moment that would host alternative football unless it's Taft Stadium, where the OKC Energy FC of the USL Championship played until they announced that they were on an indefinite hiatus due to field issues.  OKC is hoping for the MAPS 4 Stadium to happen by 2026.  

Is that any worse than the Las Vegas situation?  I’d rather see a filled subpar stadium than an empty one.

32 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

It also looks like they're sitting on three sides of the stadium instead of all four. And the seats not in use are the ones in the shade.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 minutes ago, Red Wolf said:

Recently saw where he's been benched in the NFL, CFL, XFL, and USFL. Pretty impressive for a former NFL first-rounder.

He should run the gauntlet of indoor football: IFL, CIF, NAL and Fan Control Football and get benched in all four of those leagues as well.  

• Like 1

Why wouldn't you go to San Diego or Oakland after the NFL left instead of going to the same City as the Raiders went to without the Outlaws moniker?

Maybe the Vipers should continue the season as a Road team.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

7 minutes ago, tigers said:

Why wouldn't you go to San Diego or Oakland after the NFL left instead of going to the same City as the Raiders went to without the Outlaws moniker?

because one of the league's owners wanted to put a team in Las  Vegas.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

because one of the league's owners wanted to put a team in Las  Vegas.  

So they wasted their money.

Would of been better to go to Kansas City Kansas and play at Sporting's ground

I remember San Diego's AAF team drew pretty bad crowds. They "officially" averaged 20k per game but I haven't seen a single picture where it looks like they have even half of that. But still a better choice than Las Vegas, I guess. 

IUe6Hvh.png

2 hours ago, tigers said:

Where would the play in Oakland? Doubt the A’s would let them play at the coliseum since they now have that s***hole all to themselves after the Raiders left.

31 minutes ago, McCall said:

Where would the play in Oakland? Doubt the A’s would let them play at the coliseum since they now have that s***hole all to themselves after the Raiders left.

anything is better than that Vegas one.

Would the Golden Bears stadium be any good?

5 hours ago, tigers said:

Why wouldn't you go to San Diego or Oakland

San Diego would be a slight upgrade from Las Vegas.

Oakland. No, They didn't support any of their teams. The A's would be long gone like the rest if they weren't so poverty.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, tigers said:

anything is better than that Vegas one.

Would the Golden Bears stadium be any good?

they were scarred from their experience hosting the Raiders 50 years ago:

The NFL's Oakland Raiders played their second game of the 1973 regular season at Memorial Stadium. The game against the defending Super Bowl champion Miami Dolphins was moved from the Raiders' regular home, the Oakland Coliseum, because of a scheduling conflict with the Oakland Athletics, who hosted the Minnesota Twins at the Coliseum the following night. The Raiders ended the Dolphins' NFL record 18-game winning streak with a 12–7 victory on four field goals by 45-year-old George Blanda on September 23.[21] Several preseason games were also played at the stadium in the early 1970s.

Ultimately, in response to traffic and parking issues associated with these games (while Cal games drew a large number of students who live on or near campus and walk to the games, Raider games attracted fans from a larger geographic area who were used to tailgating at the Coliseum and were more likely to drive to games), the City of Berkeley passed a Professional Sports Events License Tax in which the city collected 10% of all gate receipts, making the staging of professional games inside the city cost-prohibitive. The Raiders were granted an injunction from the city collecting the tax, arguing that the tax was a regulatory measure rather than a revenue measure, and was therefore an improper regulation on land held in trust by the Regents of the University of California. However, the grant of the injunction was reversed by the California Court of Appeals, who found it to be a revenue measure, despite the fact that the city had made the measure immediately effective "due to danger to the public peace, health, and safety of the City of Berkeley as a result of the holding of professional sports events there."[22]

California Memorial Stadium - Wikipedia

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cujo said:

San Diego would be a slight upgrade from Las Vegas.

Oakland. No, They didn't support any of their teams. The A's would be long gone like the rest if they weren't so poverty.

San Diego would of been fun.

It’s hard to support a team that has a crap stadium and an owner only worried about his golden throne (bed)

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

they were scarred from their experience hosting the Raiders 50 years ago:

California Memorial Stadium - Wikipedia

Everyone loves money.

California Viper Bears has a nice ring to it.