XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

4 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

This might be the feature of the XFL that I enjoy the most; not only does it show full transparency of what goes on during reviews and challenges, but I actually find it really educational about rules too and what needs to be confirmed when reviewing calls. I really think the NFL would do well to adopt this feature and agree that it would help with officiating concerns, as well as teach viewers more about the rules of football.

If the NFL doesn't adopt this rule (and I don't think they will anytime soon, based on Roger Goddell's comments during Super Bowl Week), the NFL will continue to be accused of being rigged, scripted and having the referees on payrolls of certain teams.  

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

If the NFL doesn't adopt this rule (and I don't think they will anytime soon, based on Roger Goddell's comments during Super Bowl Week), the NFL will continue to be accused of being rigged, scripted and having the referees on payrolls of certain teams.  

That's entirely why the NFL needs to be transparent with replay. But their staunch refusal to be gives the impression of bias.

The thing was, the replay rule was instituted to correct clear mistakes. Anything 'close' was to err on the side of the call on the field. Now, so many calls that are 'close' are overturned because 'well, we think the ball moved in his hand' rather than actual indisputable proof that it did, for instance.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

I wish the NFL would adopt this practice because it's educational.  But I hate the idea of pandering to idiots.  The "NFL is rigged" notion is the manifestation within sports of the mainstreaming of crazy that we have seen in so many other spheres.  It's like the sports equivalent of the flat-Earth or Mandela Effect delusions.

Still, the more transparency, the better.  And let's note that it was the Arena Football League that started this several years ago.  The on-field referee would walk over to a replay booth, where he'd watch the replay and analyse it, on-camera and on mic. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

The transparent reviews won't stop the problem of inconsistencies in what's let go and what's called, since the plays that are let go wouldn't be reviewable.  It also won't stop calling uncalled acts if they're noticed while reviewing something seemingly unrelated.  It's like when a pitcher throws ball 4 in the bottom of the 9th on a pitch that's been called a strike since the 1st inning.  It's technically a ball, and replay would confirm that, but the umpire had established the rules of the day.

But it's a good start.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

50 minutes ago, BBTV said:

The transparent reviews won't stop the problem of inconsistencies in what's let go and what's called, since the plays that are let go wouldn't be reviewable.  It also won't stop calling uncalled acts if they're noticed while reviewing something seemingly unrelated.  It's like when a pitcher throws ball 4 in the bottom of the 9th on a pitch that's been called a strike since the 1st inning.  It's technically a ball, and replay would confirm that, but the umpire had established the rules of the day.

But it's a good start.

In the XFL, each team is given one 'superchallenge' per game. You can review anything about a play. ANYTHING. To either overturn something to have something called. Missed a hold? You can have them review it to see if there was a hold, etc. It's something good to have in your pocket for any reason.

As for the NFL, I like the idea of a 'Sky Judge'. Just have someone watch the broadcast. If they see ANYTHING that the officials miss, they can talk to the crew just like any other official and make a call or overturn a call.

You don't knowingly let your customers see you screw up. And when you do, you correct your mistake.

I liken it to this:

If you have a restaurant and your server takes an order from the kitchen and on the way to the table, drops the food, but picks it up and puts it back on the plate, but try to tell the customer you didn't, that's horrific. But if you do it in the kitchen BEFORE the customer ever sees it, it's bad, but the customer at least remains oblivious.

This is the NFL stance. Well, we'll just ignore that we made the mistake and hope the customers ignore us making the mistake. After all, controversy is good for ratings.

I personally would just never let the customers see something and us, the league, be unable to correct it. That's just poor business.

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

If someone is gullible enough (to be polite) to think the NFL is rigged, scripted or otherwise not on the up and up, there's nothing that will change that.

Note - incompetent officiating is a far simpler explanation.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

31 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

It's like a 2 hour/2.5 hour flight if it's direct. 

If they flew out of the major airport in SA, it's only about a 9 mile drive. If it was one of the smaller airports, a few minutes longer maybe. Either way, that's quite feasible. Fly into BWI or Reagan and straight shot to Audi Field in 4ish hours? Easily doable.

• Like 2

As for that other league, the USFL, I think that whenever the USFL decides to put all of their teams in their respective cities, the Breakers are the most likely of the four teams that currently do not have a home stadium to play in the city that they are intended for.  We all remember the stadium debacle in Las Vegas, that ended up with them at Cashman Field.  The USFL could have that situation, but three more times with the Maulers, Generals and Stars.   They would also have to figure out if there's enough room for the Gamblers and Roughnecks in Houston.  

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

As for that other league, the USFL, I think that whenever the USFL decides to put all of their teams in their respective cities...

I don't see the USFL ever getting around to placing in their respective home cities or it would've happened for Season 2. Business clearly didn't go how they wanted last season (i.e. 50 fans attending each game) so they could only afford to expand to few more base sites, so 3 of 8 teams play in their home market. It's suchhhh a horrible business model. And based on all previous spring leagues, Season 2 isn't going to profit more than Season 1. This'll be their last season, with the XFL's arrival being the final nail in the coffin.

• Yawn 2

6uXNWAo.png

17 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

As for that other league, the USFL, I think that whenever the USFL decides to put all of their teams in their respective cities, the Breakers are the most likely of the four teams that currently do not have a home stadium to play in the city that they are intended for.  We all remember the stadium debacle in Las Vegas, that ended up with them at Cashman Field.  The USFL could have that situation, but three more times with the Maulers, Generals and Stars.   They would also have to figure out if there's enough room for the Gamblers and Roughnecks in Houston.  

I think the Breakers would likely play at Tulane's stadium.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think the Breakers would likely play at Tulane's stadium.

Only if Tulane (who owns the stadium) says yes.  But if the USFL makes it to year three and they plan on having the 8 teams move to 8 cities, they could have issues in Philly, Pittsburgh and New Jersey, much in the same way the XFL had issues securing a venue for the Vegas Vipers.  The Eagles, Jets/Giants and Steelers could be to the USFL what the Raiders were to the XFL in that those three teams could demand a massive fee to allow the USFL to play at their stadiums, but the USFL might find it too expensive.  They could put the Generals and Stars in MLS stadiums of the Red Bulls and Philly Union, like how the XFL does it with the DC Defenders at Audi Field, but Subaru Park also hosts Philly Union II of MLS Next Pro and Red Bull Arena hosts NY/NJ Gotham FC of the NWSL.  Also Penn and Rutgers or Princeton might not be as amenable to the USFL as the University of Houston is to the XFL.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

Red Bull does not allow american football to be played at their stadium, period. Lacrosse and rugby is okay with them, but not our brand of football. Not sure about Subaru Park.

Besides soccer, there have been “Battle of the Blue” football games played here between the University of Delaware and Villanova.”

https://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/talen-energy-stadium-s132

they have also used it for rugby.