XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

24 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

LA is Ground Zero (pun intended) for the kind of people that would flip their lid over a name like the Wildfire. If the market isn’t receptive to a name, it doesn’t matter how cool it might be, don’t use it.

Yeah, but somehow, Miami and Carolina are both perfectly fine with teams named the Hurricanes and San Jose doesn't seem to raise much objection to Earthquakes.

I guess there were enough objections to Wildfire to prompt the XFL to reconsider.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, gosioux76 said:

That's a real who's-who list of "Who?"

Francois couldn't even do much in FCF, what the hell will he do in the XFL? I also wonder if we'll see players that were in the USFL jump over to the XFL. Jordan Ta'amu might want to head back to St. Louis instead of dealing with the Bandits, but how many others might make the move? 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, McCall said:

Are they doing away with divisions? Seems like it. Otherwise one of the Texas teams would be in the east. Kinda makes sense. There's only 8 teams.

I don't think they will, but having the two best teams play instead of two division winners would be a better way to go. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A league is most interesting when the final is a matchup of champions of the league's subdivisions.  Each participant in the final should be a champion in its own right.

I might agree if there were 30+ teams or so instead of only 8. And even then, that point of view is very subjective. A lot of people subscribe, and rightfully so, to the belief that the best teams in the league should be the teams competing for the championship.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, McCall said:

A lot of people subscribe, and rightfully so, to the belief that the best teams in the league should be the teams competing for the championship.

Oh, I am all too aware that a lot of people subscribe to that position.  But it is not rightfully so.  That sort of format cheapens the regular season. 

If there are not enough teams to have divisions, then the best format it to give the first-place team a berth in the final, and have the second- and third-place teams play for the other berth.

But if there are enough teams to have divisions, then the best format is to determine division champions who will then go on meet in the final.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png