XFL 2023: Third Time's the Charm!

officeglenn

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Oh, I am all too aware that a lot of people subscribe to that position.  But it is not rightfully so.  That sort of format cheapens the regular season. 

If there are not enough teams to have divisions, then the best format it to give the first-place team a berth in the final, and have the second- and third-place teams play for the other berth.

But if there are enough teams to have divisions, then the best format is to determine division champions who will then go on meet in the final.

Again, this is a subjective opinion that, for some reason, you seem to believe is factual. There is no "right" alternative. And one could argue that the best teams, regardless of divisions, IS the right way more than the opposite.

2 hours ago, McCall said:

Again, this is a subjective opinion that, for some reason, you seem to believe is factual.

Someone assserted that having the top two teams advance is better. I countered by asserting that having divisional champions advance is better, and I supported this position with a reason.  That's how discussion works.

(Though the careful reader will note that one of the participants in the exchange does indeed seem to believe that he's dealing in factual matters: the one who added "righfully so" to a statement of opinion.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

A league is most interesting when the final is a matchup of champions of the league's subdivisions.  Each participant in the final should be a champion in its own right.

Wrong.

When you have two teams in the same division or conference that have more regular season wins that should be in the Final but don't because another team in a different division or conference with less wins has the rights to be there is just stupid and makes zero sense.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

56 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Someone assserted that having the top two teams advance is better. I countered by asserting that having divisional champions advance is better, and I supported this position with a reason.  That's how discussion works.

(Though the careful reader will note that one of the participants in the exchange does indeed seem to believe that he's dealing in factual matters: the one who added "righfully so" to a statement of opinion.)

Meant to write "rightly so". And given the context in which I used it, seems like someone of your self-avowed intellectual level, would've gotten that I was intending to mean "it's not wrong to have that opinion" or "it's an appropriate take whether or not someone else agrees". Still doesn't change the fact that you've been very dismissive towards anybody who doesn't agree with your opinion on the topic.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, McCall said:

Isn't Sam Boyd Stadium just sitting vacant?

Pretty sure it is.  I know UNLV operates it and they're mulling the future of the venue now.  Maybe the XFL wants a longer lease and UNLV isnt sure how long it would be available.

5 minutes ago, DustDevil61 said:

I thought Cashman Field was set to be demolished soon (if it wasn’t already). 

I wonder what happens if Cashman is a no go?

I think that's Sam Boyd since Cashman plays host to Las Vegas Lights soccer team of USC Championship.

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

gtp494hsd5y91.jpg

Interesting location too. Far southwest corner of the metro. Just as the Aviators did. Stay away from the strip and you'll get a lot more locals who generally want to avoid the strip unless they work there. Can't imagine it being a success financially though. Unless their ticket sales aren't expected to be great in lieu of making money on TV views. 

6 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

So who are we rooting for here?

For me: USFL of course the Generals, and XFL the now closest team to North Jersey the DC Defenders

Battlehawks. Even if their "battlecry" reminds me of a Family Guy scene.

And, you know? It's just the damndest thing. I've noticed that these all of these alternative leagues (with the exception of the AAF) seem to pop up right around the time of major economic issues since at least the WFL. 

WFL 1974: Inflation is skyrocketing after the Arab oil embargo to the point that President Ford tried to rebrand austerity into something like WW2 propaganda to predictable results. 

USFL 1983: The United States is only now starting its recovery from the Oil Shock after Volcker's Shock Therapy finally felled inflation but is now going through the beginnings of the savings and loan crisis. 

Arena Football League 1987: The US is now feeling the fallout of the Savings and Loan crisis and Black Monday.

WLAF 1991 (rebranded later as NFL Europe): The US is going through the early 90s recession. While it was brief, the fallout from this persisted with a jobless recovery that led to the election of a then obscure governor of Arkansas. 

XFL 2001: The US is between the dot-com bust and 9/11. 

UFL 2008: The Great Recession. 

AAF/XFL 2019/2020: The AAF is the sort-of exception because 2019 was a pretty good year and the good times ended due to lockdowns rather than a loss of confidence in the economy, but I'm combining these because both leagues were announced at the same time. The XFL in particular stands out because it looked like it was going to be the first of these alternative leagues in a while to last more than one season and then COVID happened. 

USFL 2022: The US is going through the worst inflation in 40 years. This is about all I can say right now about it.

Therefore, I expect the bottom to fall out next year when the XFL starts up again. I don't think it's a coincidence that these leagues are conceived in the throes of the "irrational exuberance" phase of the economic cycle. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1
  • WOAH 1

2 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Battlehawks. Even if their "battlecry" reminds me of a Family Guy scene.

And, you know? It's just the damndest thing. I've noticed that these all of these alternative leagues (with the exception of the AAF) seem to pop up right around the time of major economic issues since at least the WFL. 

WFL 1974: Inflation is skyrocketing after the Arab oil embargo to the point that President Ford tried to rebrand austerity into something like WW2 propaganda to predictable results. 

USFL 1983: The United States is only now starting its recovery from the Oil Shock after Volcker's Shock Therapy finally felled inflation but is now going through the beginnings of the savings and loan crisis. 

Arena Football League 1987: The US is now feeling the fallout of the Savings and Loan crisis and Black Monday.

WLAF 1991 (rebranded later as NFL Europe): The US is going through the early 90s recession. While it was brief, the fallout from this persisted with a jobless recovery that led to the election of a then obscure governor of Arkansas. 

XFL 2001: The US is between the dot-com bust and 9/11. 

UFL 2008: The Great Recession. 

AAF/XFL 2019/2020: The AAF is the sort-of exception because 2019 was a pretty good year and the good times ended due to lockdowns rather than a loss of confidence in the economy, but I'm combining these because both leagues were announced at the same time. The XFL in particular stands out because it looked like it was going to be the first of these alternative leagues in a while to last more than one season and then COVID happened. 

USFL 2022: The US is going through the worst inflation in 40 years. This is about all I can say right now about it.

Therefore, I expect the bottom to fall out next year when the XFL starts up again. I don't think it's a coincidence that these leagues are conceived in the throes of the "irrational exuberance" phase of the economic cycle. 

St. Louis fans showed up big time for BattleHawks games, made for a fun atmosphere and it showed that the NFL should give them another chance if they think about expansion.

And about the alternate leagues and recessions. That is a sobering read no joke. Inflation will be here to stay so I can also expect XFL III to be on the list.

Edited by TrueYankee26
Expansion.. I think I had NCAA in mind when I said realignment lol

13 hours ago, Red Comet said:

>Minor league team uses high school stadium. 

This is going to be interesting. Would at least look good with a full crowd. 

I mean it works for a certain NHL team, but yet they don’t have a full crowd

8 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

So who are we rooting for here?

For me: USFL of course the Generals, and XFL the now closest team to North Jersey the DC Defenders

I didn't like how Pep Hamilton ran up the score against the Guardians in 2020, so I was very much against that team then. But Hamilton's gone now. More important, the name "D.C. Defenders" has taken on a new significance since the terrorist attack. So I am hoping for that team's success.

The Guardians' retention of their New York logo makes me favourably disposed to that team, as well.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png