Cleveland Indians become the Cleveland Guardians

Bill0813

23 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

And then tried to sell replicas to consumers knowing they'll have completely different uniforms next year?  

I mean that part I'm not surprised about. MLB has gone full NBA on their ripping off fans with far too many alt jerseys. Between the Little League jerseys, 4th of July, Fathers and Mothers Days, Armed Forces Day, Memorial Day, "City Connect", the godawful ASG unis, Field of Dreams, and God knows what else they have planned.... To say nothing of each team generally having 4 to 6 uniforms generally now including BP, home, away and alts... 

God I miss the days of home and away and that was it with one or two caps total. Maybe a BP jersey. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Has anyone ever adopted a mid season half season jersey previously? 

The Oakland A's added a front number on their uniforms after the All-Star break in 1972.

Early season vs. late season:

Tq-Y30-OF8-Sbiapsp-GXHsx7-J-Wzz-OEw-Fs-J catfish-hunter-mlb-leadjpg.jpg

And the odder thing still about this number was that it was a different font to the number on the back.  The front number was in the font we associate with the Expos, while the back number was in a kind of block font (though not the standard one used by the Dodgers, nor the varsity font that the team went to in the latter years of this uniform set).

Both fonts can be seen in this card:

A-s-two-number-fonts.png

The next season the front number was gone, never to return during the life of this set, which went through 1980.

Seaver-and-Hunter.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

The 1990 White Sox come to mind... though they kept the new uniform the following season (and >30 more).

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The Oakland A's added a front number on their uniforms after the All-Star break in 1972.

The 1997 Cardinals did something similar around the time they acquired McGwire.  Pretty sure they started with front numbers then dropped them.

You can find game-worn jerseys online with and without front numbers.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

The 1997 Cardinals did something similar around the time they acquired McGwire.  Pretty sure they started with front numbers then dropped them.

You can find game-worn jerseys online with and without front numbers.  

Are you sure that you can find game-worn 1997 jerseys with front numbers?   I am pretty sure that there was no mid-season change for the Cardinals, and that their jerseys lacked the front numbers for the entirety of the 1997 and 1998 seasons.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Are you sure that you can find game-worn 1997 jerseys with front numbers?   I am pretty sure that there was no mid-season change for the Cardinals, and that their jerseys lacked the front numbers for the entirety of the 1997 and 1998 seasons.

You can tell this is a 1997 because (besides the tag in the second photo) of the Jackie Robinson 50th anniversary patch.  There's also some without front number.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-collectibles/uniforms/1997-mark-mcgwire-game-worn-st-louis-cardinals-jersey-with-special-mda-patch-and-team-letter/a/7120-81941.s

11759862%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u11759870%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

You can tell this is a 1997 because (besides the tag in the second photo) of the Jackie Robinson 50th anniversary patch.  There's also some without front number.

Those are more than likely pieces that were either made before they made the decision to drop the numbers in winter '97 or maybe a prototype run. They 100% did not ever wear the numbers in '97 or '98. They had no numbers when they played their opening home stand in April.

Regarding mid-season uni changes, the Mariners also introduced their new midnight alts in June of '99 once they moved to Safeco. I believe the Pirates also changed unis when they moved into Three Rivers halfway through the '70 season and debuted their new pullovers. 

3 minutes ago, DarthBrett said:

Those are more than likely pieces that were either made before they made the decision to drop the numbers in winter '97 or maybe a prototype run. They 100% did not ever wear the numbers in '97 or '98. They had no numbers when they played their opening home stand in April.

McGwire was acquired in mid 1997.

Though here's his first Busch Stadium HR... and no front numbers.  

maxresdefault.jpg

EDIT:  but here's another alleged 'game worn'  with a number (can't embed image).  According to auction, it was worn on Labor Day weekend.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1997-mike-difelice-game-worn-st-louis-1927919896

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

McGwire was acquired in mid 1997.

Okay, let me clarify what happened in '97. They removed the numbers for the '97 and '98 season. 

This is from their opening homestand in '97. 

apr-1997-pitcher-dennis-eckersley-of-the

HOWEVER,

They did play one game on Sep 02 '97 where they played for a special charity. The jerseys from that one game do have numbers on the front.  But they were a special one-off and had a special patch as well just for that one game. The rest of the season and the '98 season their regular uniforms did not have numbers. 

Here's a photo from the game on Sep 2. You can see the special patch they wore on the other sleeve which was not worn in any other game either. If I recall correctly, they also were considering wearing their red BP jerseys for that game originally, but opted not to at the last minute. There used to be an article floating around somewhere about that story, but not sure where it was or if is even available to read online anymore. This was 15-20 years ago. 

david-bell-of-the-st-louis-cardinals-dur

Gotcha.  That's the patch that's on the other link I posted for the game-worn labor day jersey w/ front numbers.  Thanks for the clarification!

Just now, BBTV said:

Gotcha.  That's the patch that's on the other link I posted for the game-worn labor day jersey w/ front numbers.  Thanks for the clarification!

LOL I actually even didn't notice it when you first posted the photos, but yeah that's the patch on the other sleeve in that auction pic! 

BTW, here's the explanation from the Game Worn's guide...

Cards-1997-MDA-jersey

In regards to the BP jersey, I think I was confusing the '97 charity game with the '99 game. But I was incorrect and the Cardinals actually did wear a regular red alt jersey. It had been so long since I had heard the story about those rare red alts. I find it funny that the Tigers and Cardinals both claim they have never worn an alt jersey before though, when they both obviously did and not too long ago. The Cardinals also had reflective alt unis for night games in the 1940s, too just like the Dodgers and Braves had. 

Screenshot-41

8 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

When did the pirates move into three rivers? They went from the vests to the mustard hats during the move.

KISSwall09.jpg

Growing up I always though the Cardinals wore a red alternate jersey occasionally but I found out over the years that it never was the case. My mind was confused because I'd seen McGwire wearing it in interviews and you could wear them in Ken Griffey Jr. on Nintendo 64 (along with he Twins Dairy queen jersey?) so I thought for sure they did it, but I'm glad to see they really did do it in 1999.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived