2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

I like the Jets current uniforms. The gotham green isn't repetitive like other colors are. NYJ's uniform set is in my top 10 for NFL uniform sets.

The Bengals uniform combo they pulled off against Baltimore was nice. Too bad the Ravens wore black pants, if they wore the purple pants instead the game would have looked better. The orange socks should be worn more with the all black. The solid black is overkill. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I don't see it, personally. The Jets don't have anything as stupid as the pants wordmarks, contrasting stitching, misaligned drop shadows, or orange numbers on the road. It's a fairly simple, standard football uniform that gets an overexaggerated level of hate because the Jets are an easy target for ridicule.

Yep. I think this is exactly right, and it being as bad as the Browns' previous set is a scorcher of a take. Haha.

Are they instant classics? Certainly not. They are a bit boring and the spike/stripe elements have a lot of potential to look dated. But, at least the green over white and white over green look very much like heirs to or updates to the early 1990s green-and-white-with-black look. They are average modern uniforms with no real glaring issues (unlike those of the 2015 Browns, as @Lights Out points out.)

14 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

I like the Jets current uniforms. The gotham green isn't repetitive like other colors are. NYJ's uniform set is in my top 10 for NFL uniform sets.

The black jerseys/pants drag the entire set down. If they only ever wore green over white or white over green, they'd have a top 10 look.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

13 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

The colts are a team who’s look of color in socks is EXCEPTIONALLY bad, because that’s there only source of color in the away set. Without the blue socks, the set as a whole looks lifeless and bland IMO

Unrelated about the Colts: Am I the only the one who thinks they need a second helmet stripe to match the jerseys and pants?

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

3 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

The black jerseys/pants drag the entire set down. If they only ever wore green over white or white over green, they'd have a top 10 look.

This applies to the Eagles as well. The teams now use the exact same color template for pretty much all combos ever since the Jets added the green helmet.

40 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

Surprised it’s come to this, but the full color sock trend is really bugging me, ESPECIALLY when there’s high contrast. Those tiny white socks really pulled their weight keeping the colored sock from having too much real estate, basically nothing more than five inches of color below the knee and above the halfway mark of the calf. Now, made even worse by players wearing their pants shorter than ever, the sock color takes up half if not more of the entire leg. The leg is split evenly in color between the tights and the pants, which looks really slow and unprofessional to me. The Jags have a similar problem when they put teal socks with their black pants. It’s no secret that tights have upended the sock in NFL uniforms almost completely over the last ten years, but the little whites used to add to the illusion that these are still the socks that go with an NFL uniform. Now, there is no illusion to conceal that these are grown men wearing brightly colored tights with tiny black shorts over top.

HOUSTON-TEXAS-SEPTEMBER-12-Trevor-Lawren

Trevor Lawrence’s lanky ass legs make it so that his teal tights get a bigger piece of the pie than his black pants. I think I honestly just prefer the “black leggings” look at this point, since the lack of contrast keeps me from thinking all game about what it would look like if Gumby wore an outfit that was just biker shorts and a football helmet. Socks were never meant to have as much power as they do in the modern league.

You are preaching to the choir, but I figure it's a lost cause at this point. All I can do is just choose to not let it bother me anymore. I just don't get why a guy like Trevor Lawrence who has to scramble as much as he does would want to expose his knees like that. 

I blame color rush. Before that the league actually fined a player if he didn't show enough white sock. Now it's rare to see any player do it "correctly" and it's like the league doesn't care anymore. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

47 minutes ago, Sport said:

You are preaching to the choir, but I figure it's a lost cause at this point. All I can do is just choose to not let it bother me anymore. I just don't get why a guy like Trevor Lawrence who has to scramble as much as he does would want to expose his knees like that. 

I blame color rush. Before that the league actually fined a player if he didn't show enough white sock. Now it's rare to see any player do it "correctly" and it's like the league doesn't care anymore. 

The funny thing is most players that are on teams that have the solid-sock look, are wearing low white socks to create some contrast. Just goes to show that not all players like the solid-sock era. 

Miami Dolphins place top WR Jaylen Waddle on COVID list

1 hour ago, Bathysphere said:

HOUSTON-TEXAS-SEPTEMBER-12-Trevor-Lawren

I like this particular look better as-is than I would if the bottoms of the socks were white, I think. That’s just because I think the Jags look best with as much teal & black as possible (that’s why this is my favorite combo for them).

In other cases involving more traditional teams, I agree that the white socks at the bottom do help the look. However, with more “modernized” teams I don’t mind this as much.

7 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

Fun fact: The Colts actually started out wearing all-white with white socks back in the 50's.

Baltimore Colts 1956 Year In Review

Honestly, I think that's a pretty good look. All-white has been part of the football aesthetic for a long time, and I think it pretty much always looks good as long as the socks are striped. That goes for you too, New Orleans, Detroit, and Buffalo. 

Shout out to the Browns for doing it right.Packers lucky to get away with poor defensive performance vs. Browns

Browns vs. Jaguars Final Score: Cleveland survives questionable officiating  and mistakes, 27-25 - Dawgs By Nature

We've even seen Indy do it before recently.

http://res.cloudinary.com/ybmedia/image/upload/c_crop,h_1600,w_2000,x_0,y_0/c_scale,f_auto,q_auto,w_700/v1/m/e/7/e71d50ca2b580f107b34e13c535540f9d298ae5c/GettyImages-82899397.jpg

I like the all-white for the Colts, as long as they wear striped socks. 

They Atleast have sock stripes, the current unis dont

6 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Anyone know what to make of this? The pants are barely visible, and last time the Fins played on the road, they posted an image of players in all white with the snowflake emojis but then wore aqua pants. 

They didn't even post the actual uniform they're wearing lol. Goes to show how little these teams care about what socks they're wearing

2 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

All white everything for the Dolphins. Just absolutely awful. Aqua pants would’ve been 1,000x better than all white vs. all black. This has got to be one of the worst uniform weekends in league history. Steelers Chiefs and Browns Packers were the only appealing games.

I thought Bears vs Seahawks was awesome. Seattle in grey pants  has really grown on me.

30 minutes ago, lgbaseball8 said:

I thought Bears vs Seahawks was awesome. Seattle in grey pants  has really grown on me.

It was way better than if Seattle wore navy pants, but still a little too heavy on the navy for it to be considered awesome IMO. The lack of visibility with the snow also didn’t help. But I’d still put that at #3 or 4 this week with Rams Vikes also in the mix.

On 12/27/2021 at 11:10 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I think it’ll be much sooner that the Jets return to Namath’s uniforms, preferably with an even brighter Kelly Green. USC/Texans-style shoulder inserts done in the style of the old shoulder stripes would be most welcome.

Also, the stripes being green/white/green on white (and white/green/white on green) was a product of the original jersey construction:

…one that later manufacturers forgot to correct on all cuts.

(Green jerseys from Reebok were largely unaffected)

spacer.png

Template-induced atrophy of designs - it’s not pretty. Insert a reminder for Steelers to shrink their sleeve stripes here.

The solution was really simple - they're using the same template as the Colts, but they have contrasting color sleeves. All they needed to do was flip the colors on the shoulder stripes. Green-white-green stripes on the green jerseys and white-green-white stripes on the white jersey would've done the trick. 

I did a quick edit of one of those sleeves here

spacer.png

If they'd striped it like then you don't have that extra notch on the shoulders, it looks cleaner, looks closer to the intended uniform of the past, and it solves for the reduced shoulder and sleeve space compared to when those uniforms debuted in 1998. 

Pretty easy and obvious fix. Instead they just threw the whole thing out and started over with a different direction. A little bit of throwing the baby out with the bathwater if you ask me. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bengals wearing contrasting socks is the hope I’m putting my money on moving forward. They’ve been fairly good at doing this while teams that did (panthers) have given in to unitard/leotard looks.

KISSwall09.jpg

On 12/27/2021 at 1:54 PM, throwuascenario said:

I like the all black uniform. The Jets all black is one of the better all blacks. The only thing I don't like is that they don't use green socks with the all black, which would add meaning to the gotham green on the side panel of the black pants, the shoulder of the jersey, and green helmet, complimenting those other parts of the uniform.

Archived