On 4/26/2022 at 3:39 PM, coco1997 said:

Not a bad idea, but I feel that looks too "modern" for a hypothetical 1974 uniform. I was trying to find photos of the Boston Marathon finish line from that year (or even any year before then) but no such luck.

Saw the Boston Marathon for the first time in 1991. They were using the stencil mark at least that far back. Its pretty iconic locally, as are the blue and yellow colors. Which is why it was chosen for the City Connect. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Saw the Boston Marathon for the first time in 1991. They were using the stencil mark at least that far back. Its pretty iconic locally, as are the blue and yellow colors. Which is why it was chosen for the City Connect. 

Oh cool, I didn't realize that. That helps me out a bit. Thanks! 

23 hours ago, Victormrey said:

I love how the Royals' City Connect uni looks in blue and gold 👌🏻 The '69 design is wonderful and quite unique with the pinstripes + placket piping and the heart logo.

Great work!

Thanks! Here's a version of the Royals fauxback in navy and gold. I also added a white outline to the heart logo:

spacer.png

I think I may prefer this to my original version. What do you guys think?

• Like 3

Not a tweak per se, but inspired by these fashion caps, I wanted to try a full White Sox set in black, sky blue and red, using the White Sox City Connect numbers and "Chi" logo as a sleeve patch:

WHITE SOX HOME:
spacer.png

WHITE SOX ROAD:

spacer.png

WHITE SOX HOME/ROAD ALT:

spacer.png

I think the alt is my favorite of the three. What do you guys think?

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (White Sox redesign 5/1)
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've come around on the Diamondbacks' City Connect. This season's switch to sand colored pants to match the jerseys has really gone a long way toward making the set feel like a complete look rather than just a sand colored alternate.

One aspect I'm still not big on however is the sand and black "A" cap logo which just feels kind of uninspired. To address this, I've replaced the "A" with the "S" from the "Serpientes" script, possibly inspired by this David Peralta bobblehead. I've prepared two versions, one in the colors of the actual City Connect cap and one with a black crown and Sedona red bill: 

DIAMONDBACKS VERSION 1
spacer.png

DIAMONDBACKS VERSION 2
spacer.png

Not sure which version I prefer. What do you guys think?

• Like 3

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (D-Backs revisited 5/10)

Next up is another take on the Giants:

GIANTS 
spacer.png

This one is inspired by the Yomiuri Giants of the Nippon Professional Baseball League and is meant to pay tribute to San Francisco's large Japanese population. "SOKO" is a term the earliest Japanese immigrants to San Francisco in the late 19th century used to refer to the city. I feel this sort of accomplishes what the Giants' actual City Connect unis did and that it's clearly derivative of their everyday look but is also just different enough (white instead of off-white, headspoon piping, white cap). 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (Yomiuri Giants 5/16)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2022 at 9:05 PM, NicDB said:

Your Yomuri Giants are a homerun.

I also like your White Sox. The other two are strong enough on their own without the white uni.

On 5/18/2022 at 7:57 PM, Bomba Tomba said:

I read the title and was kinda hoping you'd move on to NPB concepts lol

That Giants look great though, although it looks like it says SOHO from a distance

Thanks, gentlemen!

Up today is a Rockies tweak!

ROCKIES:

spacer.png

A few things I really like about the Rockies City Connect set unveiled today:

1. Green & purple is an excellent color combo and the Rockies should consider experimenting with it as their main colorway going forward
2. The mountain ridge on the jersey and matching green pants are experimental and bold
3. The numbers style 

What I don't like:

1. The cap logo design is too busy-looking to be worn on the field
2. The application of the mountain ridge would work better on a pullover than a button down jersey
3. The (partially) white on white back numbers.

My tweaks:

My biggest change was replacing the jersey script and cap logo with a recolored version of the Colorado flag "C." I don't mind the "Colorado" script used on the actual jersey, but I love the flag "C" and wanted to incorporate it somehow, and its simpler design lends itself better to a cap logo (despite its similarity to the Cubs' cap logo). For the back numbers, I borrowed from the 1975 Astros uniforms and the "tourist sticker"-inspiration of the actual cap logo, which utilizes sky blue and red and yellow from the state flag. I found a licence plate font called Car-Go Frame for the numbers. It's close to the numbers the actual uniforms use but not the exact same. Also went with a purple belt to amp up the purple element just a bit more. 

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (Rockies 5/27)
2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Thanks, gentlemen!

Up today is a Rockies tweak!

ROCKIES:

spacer.png

A few things I really like about the Rockies City Connect set unveiled today:

1. Green & purple is an excellent color combo and the Rockies should consider experimenting with it as their main colorway going forward
2. The mountain ridge on the jersey and matching green pants are experimental and bold
3. The numbers style 

What I don't like:

1. The cap logo design is too busy-looking to be worn on the field
2. The application of the mountain ridge would work better on a pullover than a button down jersey
3. The (partially) white on white back numbers.

My tweaks:

My biggest change was replacing the jersey script and cap logo with a recolored version of the Colorado flag "C." I don't mind the "Colorado" script used on the actual jersey, but I love the flag "C" and wanted to incorporate it somehow, and its simpler design lends itself better to a cap logo (despite its similarity to the Cubs' cap logo). For the back numbers, I borrowed from the 1975 Astros uniforms and the "tourist sticker"-inspiration of the actual cap logo, which utilizes sky blue and red and yellow from the state flag. I found a licence plate font called Car-Go Frame for the numbers. It's close to the numbers the actual uniforms use but not the exact same. Also went with a purple belt to amp up the purple element just a bit more. 

C&C appreciated! 

The circle on the back really isn’t needed. Feels like a number on a race car. Good work on everything else though. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

Up next are the Angels!

I really love the recently-revealed Angels set. From the off-white look to the funky script to the thick stripes on only one sleeve (I wish more teams did quirky stuff like this), I think this has the foundation for a fantastic Angels redesign. Therefore, my tweaks are very subtle. I made the halo gold, ditched the silver outlines on the numbers and replaced the team's primary logo on the roundel with the new cap logo:

spacer.png

ANGELS HOME:

spacer.png

I also worked up a road, alt and fauxback design:

ANGELS ROAD:
spacer.png

ANGELS ALT:
spacer.png

ANGELS 1998 FAUXBACK:
spacer.png

With seemingly no one being able to agree on what city/county the Angels should claim in their name, I figured it might work just to slap "Angels" on every jersey in their set. The fauxback is based on their late '90s Disney design

C&C appreciated! 

• Like 6

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (Angels full set 6/8)
15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Up next are the Angels!

I really love the recently-revealed Angels set. From the off-white look to the funky script to the thick stripes on only one sleeve (I wish more teams did quirky stuff like this), I think this has the foundation for a fantastic Angels redesign. Therefore, my tweaks are very subtle. I made the halo gold, ditched the silver outlines on the numbers and replaced the team's primary logo on the roundel with the new cap logo:

spacer.png

ANGELS HOME:

spacer.png

I also worked up a road, alt and fauxback design:

ANGELS ROAD:
spacer.png

ANGELS ALT:
spacer.png

ANGELS 1998 FAUXBACK:
spacer.png

With seemingly no one being able to agree on what city/county the Angels should claim in their name, I figured it might work just to slap "Angels" on every jersey in their set. The fauxback is based on their late '90s Disney design

C&C appreciated! 

Get rid of the “Los Angeles” text around it. Maybe just simplify it by putting Angels Baseball and add some navy blue trim around the Angels script to make it pop a little bit more. GO ANAHEIM ANGELS!!! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BiggityBerfa said:

hey just wondering what template you’re using for these, i’ve looked but i can’t seem to find it anywhere 

Sure thing. The templates can be found in this thread: 

Up next is something I've been meaning to get to for a while, a full set of uniforms based on the D-Backs' City Connect design:

DIAMONDBACKS HOME:
spacer.png

DIAMONDBACKS ROAD:
spacer.png

DIAMONDBACKS ALT:
spacer.png

Let me know what you think!

• Like 2

• coco1997 changed the title to City Connect tweaks (Serpientes full set 6/12)
On 6/14/2022 at 4:50 AM, Coiler said:

Honestly makes me want to have them just rebrand to Serpientes or Serpents. Looks great!

Thanks!

Up today is my tweak of the Brewers set which was unveiled yesterday:

BREWERS:

spacer.png

All in all I like what Nike did with Milwaukee, but I can't help but find the set a bit half baked. The first change I knew I had to make was was POWDER. BLUE. PANTS. It blows my mind that, given the number of teams to jump back on the powder blue bandwagon over the past few years, the Brewers of all teams have held out. This was the perfect opportunity to recommit to it and they still blew it.

The next big change was the cap design. Based on countless comments I've read both on this forum and on Twitter, everyone seems to dislike the cap. (I saw a fair number of Brewers fans suggest putting the baseball grill logo on the cap, but I tried that and it just doesn't work.) Personally, I appreciate what Nike was trying to do here, but I don't think the execution works, so I decided to scrap the MKE/44 altogether and, inspired by this fashion cap I came across online, come up with a new design that combines the BiG logo with the People's Flag of Milwaukee.

Here's a closer look at the cap logo:

spacer.png

I also modified the team's current barrel style numbers to match the "Brew Crew" script--gold with navy drop shadows. I added front numbers because I think they help balance the design and bring it in line with their other jerseys. I was initially annoyed by the lack of navy piping on the sleeves, but after reading that it's supposed to resemble foamy beer, I was OK with it. And given that explanation, it made no sense to keep the single stripe of gold on the collar. The baseball grill on the sleeve goes untouched because it's easily the single best thing about the entire design. 

I also worked up a version of the uniform in colors truer to the People's Flag:

spacer.png

It's definitely more distinctive than powder blue, but I'm not convinced it wouldn't make people's retinas detach on the field. 

Let me know what you think! I hope I did your team proud, @NicDB

• Like 3
  • Love 3