2021 NFL Season - Adults Arguing About Matt Stafford

38 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Pittsburgh is gonna continue the streak of not finishing last in their division, all because of the Browns' incompetence and Baker Mayfield.

These Browns really tried fooling everyone,  but they are who we thought they were.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

With how bad the quarterback play has been, it's almost a miracle that the Browns are 7-9 and won't lose to an objectively bad team all season. Their only good win is over Cincinnati, but hey.

I've been pretty firmly on the side of running it back all year — it's very clear that Baker Mayfield has been physically hampered since Week 2 — but I think that's an increasingly difficult sell. He's exposed plenty of limitations that aren't injury-driven over the last few weeks, I don't know that much of anyone in that locker room really wants him there, and now it sounds like he's going to make the "personal decision" to wrap it up for the year after months of insisting that he's healthy enough to play and, in turn, hurting the team week-in, week-out.

The Browns are in a tough spot, in that they already picked up the fifth year on his deal and have made a sizable financial commitment to him already for next season, but you have a Super Bowl-calibre defense and, when healthy, a Super Bowl-calibre offensive line and run game. They don't have a Super Bowl-calibre pass game, even when healthy, which means they should do something here.

• Like 1

6fQjS3M.png

7 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

The Browns are in a tough spot, in that they already picked up the fifth year on his deal and have made a sizable financial commitment to him already for next season, but you have a Super Bowl-calibre defense and, when healthy, a Super Bowl-calibre offensive line and run game. They don't have a Super Bowl-calibre pass game, even when healthy, which means they should do something here.

With no QBs considered 'franchise players' coming out in the draft, what options would they have other than to draft a guy in a later round and let him develop and hope he can be something?  Bring in Ryan Fitzpatrick for a year?  Try to sell Russel Wilson on accepting a trade there (but then have half their cap dedicated to their QB?)

They're in a bad spot - a QB that's just barely better than the kind you know is just a placeholder, but obviously not "the guy".  Their best move is to take a flyer on a rookie just to push Mayfield (and let him play if Mayfield gets hurt and see what happens), invest their picks on more weapons or more defense (or trade them for picks next year in case there's a real franchise guy they want to trade up for).

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 hours ago, Red Comet said:

Yeah. Ja’Marr Chase reminds me of Randy Moss if you want my honest opinion. And anyone stupid enough to put just one guy on him after he not only burned them once but twice deserved to get clowned on the third time. Andy really needs to learn how to put the beating on a team when they’re down but if he hasn’t done that for nearly a quarter century, I highly doubt he’s going to start doing that now.

It did sort of feel to me like the Chiefs started to coast in the second half, which I get for a team with a two touchdown lead trying to save themselves for the playoffs. Also they were running the ball really well. But for the end of game sequence, in hindsight Andy Reid should've let them score before the 2 minute warning. The decision not to almost worked, but the penalties on the 4th down plays (which, by the way, insane for Taylor to go for it there instead of taking 3 points) accidentally helping the Bengals so perfectly is one of the most fortunate accidents I've ever seen in football. As a Bengals fan who's seen every horror possible I was beside myself on that sequence. I was certain there'd be a fumbled snap or injury or botched handoff. It was torture. Even when they lined up for the dinky field goal I didn't feel good until I saw the arms go up and couldn't find a flag on the field. 

11 hours ago, Red Comet said:

I’m really impressed by Chase along with Burrow and Mixon. Hell, if you can fix the O-Line, I really believe that the Bengals will be a contender for a Super Bowl year in and year out. At the very least, I think that you break the 30 year no playoff win slump this year. 

Yeah very exciting times because they have the hardest piece to get. If you have a top ten QB you have a shot and they haven't had one since Palmer in 2005. Maybe it's just recency bias, but this feels more real and sustainable than the Palmer Era teams (because the defense was paper) and definitely the accidentally good teams of the Andy Dalton/AJ Green days. I won't feel good until they actually do it, but beating the Chiefs kind of felt like winning a playoff game so now it's not something they have to imagine anymore. I'm also excited to watch the Bengals in a playoff game under a coach who is not Marvin Lewis for the first time in my life. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I feel like ESPN grossly misread how their audience feels about Ben Roethlisberger. That was a slobberfest not owed to one of the worst people in the history of professional sports. The only people who like him are the Worst People Alive and even then most Steelers fans I know are so tired of his whole deal that they are thrilled to move on. 

• Like 12

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

With how bad the quarterback play has been, it's almost a miracle that the Browns are 7-9 and won't lose to an objectively bad team all season. Their only good win is over Cincinnati, but hey.

I've been pretty firmly on the side of running it back all year — it's very clear that Baker Mayfield has been physically hampered since Week 2 — but I think that's an increasingly difficult sell. He's exposed plenty of limitations that aren't injury-driven over the last few weeks, I don't know that much of anyone in that locker room really wants him there, and now it sounds like he's going to make the "personal decision" to wrap it up for the year after months of insisting that he's healthy enough to play and, in turn, hurting the team week-in, week-out.

I just want to know what Stefanski is doing when Nick Chubb is right there and can run over people. Austin Hooper couldn't catch a cold even with no one around him. Last year they ran a lot of rollouts. Last night they did it once!

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

16 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32986133/after-disappointing-2021-baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-headed-split

Baker Mayfield stinks, and ESPN is asking if the Browns should let him go. My initial answer is no, because I worry he'd end up in Seattle and that's not good. On the other hand, he does seem like the perfect guy for the Chicago Bears or Minnesota Vikings, and that wouldn't be so bad!

In Mayfield's defense, he has been playing hurt all season. In my own defense, I don't think he's very good either. That being said, unless Aaron Rodgers decides he wants to be in Cleveland, I don't see any better short term solutions for the Browns right now. The best of a bunch of bad options is to let Mayfield get healthy, play out the last year of his contract, and go from there. I'm just glad the Browns didn't sign him to a big extension after last season.

• Like 5

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Sport said:

I feel like ESPN grossly misread how their audience feels about Ben Roethlisberger. That was a slobberfest not owed to one of the worst people in the history of professional sports. The only people who like him are the Worst People Alive and even then most Steelers fans I know are so tired of his whole deal that they are thrilled to move on. 

Agreed. ESPN really misread the room on that one.

• Like 3

BB52Big.jpg

14 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

In Mayfield's defense, he has been playing hurt all season. In my own defense, I don't think he's very good either. That being said, unless Aaron Rodgers decides he wants to be in Cleveland, I don't see any better short term solutions for the Browns right now. The best of a bunch of bad options is to let Mayfield get healthy, play out the last year of his contract, and go from there. I'm just glad the Browns didn't sign him to a big extension after last season.

You're right. They're taking a gamble no matter what, and a gamble that Mayfield figures it out and becomes the #1 pick they hoped he'd be is worth it.

Maybe he can take a break from Progressive commercials for a bit though.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Imagine being in the stands last night like I was, surrounded by them. I'm not going to pretend the Browns don't have some POS players on their roster - every team does. But I have NEVER seen a city embrace such a well-documented POS in my life. It was so surreal sitting there seeing people going bonkers when he took the field during player intros, holding "We Love You Ben" signs, chanting his name, and almost everyone in the stands wearing his jersey. I saw countless little girls wearing his jersey too which is so bizarre to me - if you are a father could you imagine buying your 8-year old daughter a jersey of that man? Even one of my buddies who is a Steelers fan said "Yeah, he is probably guilty of all that stuff. But he got us two Super Bowls, so I've gotta be there for his last game and wear my 7 jersey."

Sorry, part of me is venting from last night and part of me is in awe of how the people in this city perceive their QB. 

• Like 7

T1oYViW.png

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

You're right. They're taking a gamble no matter what, and a gamble that Mayfield figures it out and becomes the #1 pick they hoped he'd be is worth it.

Maybe he can take a break from Progressive commercials for a bit though.

Or they bomb so bad next year they can choose between Young and Stroud.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

14 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Or they bomb so bad next year they can choose between Young and Stroud.

This is the Browns we're talking about. Put me down for $50 on bombing. And I'll throw another $50 on the Browns using a top five pick on the 17th best QB in the draft.

BB52Big.jpg

16 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

This is the Browns we're talking about. Put me down for $50 on bombing. And I'll throw another $50 on the Browns using a top five pick on the 17th best QB in the draft.

AP_99041702034.jpg

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Turns out Tim Couch actually married the 1999 Playboy Playmate of the Year, Heather Kozar (not sure if any relation to Bernie... but doubtful.)   Not going to post any photos, but that's not the kind of get a guy of his caliber should get.

8 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Turns out Tim Couch actually married the 1999 Playboy Playmate of the Year, Heather Kozar (not sure if any relation to Bernie... but doubtful.)   Not going to post any photos, but that's not the kind of get a guy of his caliber should get.

No relation. Not spelled the same way. Bernie Kosar and Heather Kozar. Still, props to Tim Couch for punching well above his weight.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

5 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

No relation. Not spelled the same way. Bernie Kosar and Heather Kozar. Still, props to Tim Couch for punching well above his weight.

On 1/3/2022 at 12:21 AM, Cujo said:

NFL Black Monday Update

GONE

Matt Nagy

Vic Fangio

Matt Rhule

MAYBE

Mike Zimmer

Joe Judge

David Culley

WELL, THEY'RE INTERIMS

Darrell Bevell

Rich Bisaccia

SURPRISE 'MUTUAL PARTING OF WAYS'

John Harbaugh

Pete Carroll

if Pete Carroll and/or John Harbaugh are free, Shad Khan would be interested no doubt, but I can't see them being interested at all in Jacksonville unless they bring in their own personnel guy, so obviously it would be John Schneider for Carroll.  Also, Trent Baalke did not get along with Jim Harbaugh.

LOL Jalen Hurts sent a letter (or instagram?) to WFT:

• Like 1
  • LOL 1