2021 NBA Offseason

GDAWG

I don't understand how the salary cap works in the NBA (I really don't think anyone truly does) but I know that in the NFL, despite the presence of the cap, there are some teams that can absolutely entice better players by having tons more liquid money to pay for signing bonuses or other incentives, so while the numbers appear equal on paper, in reality, the high-revenue teams definitely have an edge.  

I don't know how much revenue matters in the NBA.  I would imagine (nothing to back this up) that the Magic, Thunder, Wolves, Kings, et al are among the bottom in terms of local or non-shared revenue (any local rights, any merch that's not shared, etc.)  Whether that has any impact on their ability to sign players, IDK.  I do know that nobody wants to play there.  So while I can't argue against the statement that "every market is a big market" in the NBA, there's only 5-10 that really matter, and ever have a chance of bringing in (and keeping!) great players.  The rest need to get lucky by drafting Tom Brady in the 6th round (i.e. Giannis in the middle of the first round.)

The NBA is about the only league I can think of where players can be offered more money by their current teams, and still force moves to other teams because of more attractive situations.  Ain't nobody doing that to play for the Bucks, despite their success this year.  Ain't nobody doing that to go to Oklahoma City.  And for whoever threw out the Toronto example?  They traded for the guy - he didn't want to go there - and then immediately left for one of the "markets that matter".

Regarding the Sixers - up until the end of the Barkley era, they were absolutely one of the "markets that matter", going all the way back to when the Warriors were there.  I'd go as far as to call the Sixers a 'cornerstone' franchise - a tier below the Lakers and Celtics, but right there in that second tier of relevancy.  Then they fell completely off the cliff by bungling the Barkley trade, changed to embarrassing uniforms, and became a place that nobody wanted to be.  That all changed when they drafted Iverson, he beat Jordan 1:1, and they became one of the destination teams again, luring other start players to put around Iverson (too bad he couldn't actually play nicely with any of them.)  That showed how even one HOF-caliber talent can change an entire franchise's trajectory, and your chances of getting that are much better at the top than getting lucky in the middle (though there's still luck involved, even at the top.)

Too much time has gone by since the Dr. J era, and after the 'post process' era wraps up, the Sixers are going to go back to being one of those middling franchises with no chance.  They're just not a destination for a super team, and they're too far removed from their days as a 'cornerstone' team.  This actually might even apply to the Bulls now too!  And they're in a much larger market, though not necessarily a larger basketball market.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Gary said:

Chris Paul opted out of his contract. Rumors he’s signing a 3 year 90 million contract with the Suns which will free up 10 million. Which would sign Cam Payne 

Good for them. Nice to see Phoenix rising from the ashes of a terrible team for years and starting a new competitive run.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

NBA teams gave out a lot of money today.  Is 4 years, $85M what one would have expected for Lonzo?  Seems nuts to me.

Once the good spots s go away, we’ll see who gets stuck enduring the winters Minnesota is boneheaded enough to have.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

4 years/$120 for CP3?? Get that Sarver money! Good for him.

Lowry to Heat is nice too. ECF favorites.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Miami spent a lot of money today.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

4 years/$120 for CP3?? Get that Sarver money! Good for him.

Lowry to Heat is nice too. ECF favorites.

Lmaoooooooooooo. There goes Phoenix’s championship window. 

In other news Dwight is coming back to the Lakers and one of my all-time favorite Lakers in Trevor Ariza, is also coming back. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

1 hour ago, Rockstar Matt said:

In other news Dwight is coming back to the Lakers and one of my all-time favorite Lakers in Trevor Ariza, is also coming back. 

They got Ellington too, and maybe Melo also.

They're old as hell, but filled some needs today.

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

They got Ellington too, and maybe Melo also.

They're old as hell, but filled some needs today.

The Lakers might as well cast themselves for Uncle Drew 2...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

They actually saved 15 million in the process, resigned Cam Payne and signed Javale McGee. I think both knew what they were doing.  

5 minutes ago, Gary said:

They actually saved 15 million in the process, resigned Cam Payne and signed Javale McGee. I think both knew what they were doing.  

You know, it was the price they need to pay to keep Paul. Plus, they'll trade him to OKC in a couple of years anyway. They'll take any bad contract.

Yeah - there's teams that can only hope to take on expiring contracts.  But it's a great system!  If the Lakers can do it, then anyone can.  Hey - I had the opportunity to go to good schools and get a great job, so if I can do it, there's no excuse for anyone who's in a situation without those opportunities or privileges to do so.  And to hell with them if they have to take alternate paths to get their GEDs or whatever it takes to get that job.  They should just do it like the kid from the good family in the good neighborhood did.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, that's how I feel when you talk about the merits of "the system", as a Lakers fan from thousands of miles away.

It's like the politicians in the farmland having opinions and blocking funding for big-city transit, or a group of men telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies.

Other reports say the deal is two years, around $12 mil. Sounds like that was their TPMLE target, and they got him! I like this deal and I like what the Jazz are doing so far. Between drafting Butler, shedding some salary, and signing Conley and Gay, they’re addressing thier needs well. Gay’s older, yes, but what he’s got in the tank can still make a difference where we need it.

Now, the Jazz need to get a backup center who can stretch the floor. The well’s running a bit dry right now, but still some serviceable options out there. Maybe they even take a swing at someone like Jock Landale? He’s been great these Olympics.

EDIT: They signed Whiteside…guess that means Gay will play some stretch 5 then when needed!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Andre Drummond to Philly on a vet minimum seems sub-optimal for all sides. Glad the Lakers moved on though; he had moments but wasn't a great fit.

Here's a list of still unsigned free agents (including restricted):

• Kawhi Leonard
  • Demar Derozan
  • Dennis Shroeder
  • Khem Birch
  • Spencer Dinwiddie
  • John Collins
  • Kelly Oubre Jr
  • Josh Hart
  • Paul millsap
  • Victor Oladipo
  • Danny Green
  • Justice Winslow
  • Lou Williams
  • Andre Iguodala
  • JJ Redick
  • Patty Mills
  • Lauri Markennan
  • Malik Monk
  • Reggie Jackson
  • Kendrick Nunn
  • Talen Horton Tucker
  • Terence Davis

Archived