NFL '22 Offseason: Hirings, firings, signings, trades, cuts and cap hits on parade

CS85

IDK.  Is Baker considered a "culture carrier" or a "culture killer" at this point?  Are the reports of his "immaturity" possibly exaggeration?  Seems like it started to come out pretty recently, coincidentally around the time the team was making a play for a new QB.  Maybe just trying to sell the need for a change to their fans?  Wouldn't be the first time a team "planted" stories to justify jettisoning someone (Chip Kelly planted stories of Deshawn Jackson's gang affiliations in the media right before releasing him for being black.)

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, DCarp1231 said:

Except Darnold is considerably worse than Mayfield

To be quite honest, I don't see the value in trading for Baker. Ok, he wins us a couple more games - does that benefit us? Would it not be better to draft our next QB than trade for one (with the little draft capital we have, we still don't have a day two pick) and then if he is the long-term answer pay that traded QB a ton of money, handicapping us from improving the team elsewhere? The strategy to win in the NFL is to have a young QB on a rookie contract then use the remaining money to build up the rest of the team.  The Panthers have a bunch of good young players approaching contract extensions and I don't want to be handicapped paying Baker instead of them.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

It is possible that Baker is just a more talented Johnny Manziel. It's also weird that a team that needs to unload their once-franchise QB doesn't seem to have any problem trashing him and tanking his value before they trade him.

The NFL will put up with sexual assault from its QBs, but that's because most of the owners are grabbing ass too. The NFL won't put up with a subpar QB making a nuisance of himself.

Who gets a job first: Kap or Baker?

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

4 minutes ago, QCS said:

To be quite honest, I don't see the value in trading for Baker. Ok, he wins us a couple more games - does that benefit us? Would it not be better to draft our next QB than trade for one (with the little draft capital we have, we still don't have a day two pick) and then if he is the long-term answer pay that traded QB a ton of money, handicapping us from improving the team elsewhere? The strategy to win in the NFL is to have a young QB on a rookie contract then use the remaining money to build up the rest of the team.  The Panthers have a bunch of good young players approaching contract extensions and I don't want to be handicapped paying Baker instead of them.

Let’s place him on the Rodgers-Brady spectrum.

On one end, he could swindle Carolina (or another team) for all their money then cry about the team not being able to retain any good players

On the other end, he could get a large contract, but repeatedly restructure it every year in an effort to help the team retain the good players.

I’d say he probably favors the Rodgers end just a tad, but I believe he actually wants to win.

9 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Let’s place him on the Rodgers-Brady spectrum.

On one end, he could swindle Carolina (or another team) for all their money then cry about the team not being able to retain any good players

On the other end, he could get a large contract, but repeatedly restructure it every year in an effort to help the team retain the good players.

I’d say he probably favors the Rodgers end just a tad, but I believe he actually wants to win.

I'd still rather the team draft a QB than take another chance on another reclamation project. He did well-ish in Cleveland, but how well would he do here? And would that success or lack thereof really be worth the risk/capital in trading for him? In my opinion it's more worth taking a chance on a rookie QB that you can control for several years on a low contract than a more proven, but still risky QB that, if he does well, will command a lot more money from you.

the user formerly known as cdclt

If the Seahawks are going to get their QB in the draft, the only other QB desperate team seems to be the Panthers. 

Also I don't recall hearing too much about Baker having many serious issues until recently. I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns were exaggerating things because they wanted him out to get Watson.   

Regardless he's still a top QB that if nothing else, can get your team to the playoffs. 

Carolina seems like the best fit for him. Especially if they don't have to give up much. 

Only others I can think of, Texans? Titans?(would be an improvement over Tannehill), 

20 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Do what?  Cut him?  No one is trading anything for him.

I dunno what the Packers are doing or thinking. But there's gotta be a team who would give up a 2nd rounder to at least kick the tires on him. Him on the bench does nothing for GB, especially now that Rodgers' now contract outlasts Love's

6uXNWAo.png

2 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I dunno what the Packers are doing or thinking. But there's gotta be a team who would give up a 2nd rounder to at least kick the tires on him. Him on the bench does nothing for GB, especially now that Rodgers' now contract outlasts Love's

The talk is that although Rodgers has a new contract, he's probably going to take it year by year and could easily retire after 1 or 2 of the seasons.  

1 minute ago, GDAWG said:

The talk is that although Rodgers has a new contract, he's probably going to take it year by year and could easily retire after 1 or 2 of the seasons.  

Get something, anything for Love while Rodgers is still on the team and the Packers' championship window is still open.

6uXNWAo.png

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe Baker goes the Trubisky route and backs up Josh Allen for the season. Worked out pretty well for Mitch, and Baker probably needs to watch someone do it who's better than he is for a while.

Mike Florio from Pro Football Talk says that Baker would be a good fit in Detroit because he thinks Dan Campbell could control his attitude.

6 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Baker would be a good fit in Detroit

That would surely be the end of Baker.

Matthew Stafford is the only QB to survive that franchise -- well -- ever.

• Like 5

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Second rounder!?  On a player the Packers have clearly have zero faith in?  Who looked painfully uninspiring in his only game?  Matt Ryan played in a superbowl and was had for a third. 

I think the word is out on Love.  The Packers aren't even trying to hide it.  I'd be shocked if someone was willing to offer better than a 5th for this guy.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Matt Ryan played in a superbowl and was had for a third. 

A player's age and contract comes into play with these trades. But I'm sure you knew that

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

So do the Colts get Ryan all new jerseys, or do they just cover up the WENTZ nameplate with duct tape and write RYAN over it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."