NASCAR 2022

LAWeaver

North Wilkesboro coming back from the dead and taking something from Texas (in this case; the All-Star race) is poetic justice for 1997.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I think they made the right decision in trying to strike while the iron was hot. I don't blame them for trying. It just didn't end up panning out at the end of the day. But, admitting mistakes were made and attempting to atone for the sins of the past shows they realized mistakes were made and want to try to make things right.

• Like 3

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

On 9/7/2022 at 9:03 PM, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

North Wilkesboro coming back from the dead and taking something from Texas (in this case; the All-Star race) is poetic justice for 1997.

Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I think they made the right decision in trying to strike while the iron was hot. I don't blame them for trying. It just didn't end up panning out at the end of the day. But, admitting mistakes were made and attempting to atone for the sins of the past shows they realized mistakes were made and want to try to make things right.

It's a great gesture that I'm very glad to see happen. I never went to North Wilkesboro as a kid, it closed just as I was getting to the age of being able to go to Cup races. My dad and I went to Darlington, Rockingham, and Charlotte together but never made it to NW.

I'm excited for it and will definitely look into going. My wife and I went to the late model race at the end of August (the one Dale Jr. raced in) and had a blast - it truly felt like I time traveled back to 1995. It looked, sounded, felt, and smelled exactly like going to those early-mid '90s races with my dad.

That said, traffic was definitely an issue that I hope they can mitigate somehow. We got there around 5pm for the 7:30 start and that included waiting in about an hour of traffic. It got even worse toward start time, and they actually delayed the green flag for almost an hour to allow the crowd to file in. Granted, that was on a Wednesday evening, so plenty of people were all cramming in at the same time after work. North Wilkesboro + Wilkesboro = population of less than 8,000 and the infrastructure just plain isn't there for big crowds. US-421 runs alongside, but doesn't provide direct access to the speedway - the only way in/out of North Wilkesboro Speedway is a single two-lane road. Current capacity of NW is listed at 18,000 and the race sold out, I'm sure there were 20,000+ total people there. I have no idea how they did it back in the '90s with crowds of 50 to 60,000. Being on the weekend helped, and I'm sure there were a lot of campers, but yikes! The '95 and '96 Cup races were paired with a Saturday truck race (looking this up, I just found out that the Busch series only raced at NW from '83-'85, which I find odd), but man... 60,000 people there sounds like a transportation nightmare.

Anyway, good on NASCAR. I'm excited to see what happens with it.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Bubba's win at Kansas should theoretically shut some people up, but now they're only whining louder because of course they are.

"he only won because he was driving Kurt's car" ... "Denny let him win" ... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bubba/Denny finishing 1-2 (either order) is my optimal NASCAR result. Happy for him!

• Like 6

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Kyle Busch will be joining RCR in 2023 and driving the #8. 

Tyler Reddick, who currently drives the #8 was set to leave RCR after 2023 to join 23XI, but now I'm curious what this will do for Reddick.  Assuming he stays with RCR with a new third car, but a move to 23XI a year early to a new third car is possible.

Tyler Reddick, who currently drives the #8 was set to leave RCR after 2023 to join 23XI, but now I'm curious what this will do for Reddick.  Assuming he stays with RCR with a new third car, but a move to 23XI a year early to a new third car is possible.

Edit:  Looks like a third charter for RCR and Reddick will be in place for 2023

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Noah Gragson was announced a few weeks ago as the driver of the 42 in 2023.

We now know his replacement in the 9 at Jr Motorsports

Brandon Jones, the eternal Xfinity driver.

It looks like JHN just might take over the 19 then (or the 54 if Ty moves up to take over the 18 in Cup)

rAUPGPZ.png

7 minutes ago, GrayJ12 said:

Brandon Jones, the eternal Xfinity driver.

It looks like JHN just might take over the 19 then (or the 54 if Ty moves up to take over the 18 in Cup)

It’s interesting to me that two prominent Chevy teams (RCR-JRM) were able to poach talent (Busch-Jones) from a prominent Toyota team (JGR)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So yesterday we had:

- A Truck driver receive burns from a pretty bad fire

- A Truck driver get his first win due to his them throwing a caution 1000 feet before the finish (I'm not going to excuse it even though Debby finally won, but I feel for Bret Holmes)

- Quite possibly the cleanest plate race I've seen in a while in the Xfinity race

- A thrilling photo finish in the Xfinity race (Go Dinger!)

TBH, I feel scared for this Cup race. After seeing the tire farce at Texas, and the multiple drivers having concussion problems, I have a feeling something bad will happen at this race today. That could mean that the drivers might drive with a little more caution, but I don't know.

rAUPGPZ.png

22 hours ago, GrayJ12 said:

So yesterday we had:

- A Truck driver receive burns from a pretty bad fire

- A Truck driver get his first win due to his them throwing a caution 1000 feet before the finish (I'm not going to excuse it even though Debby finally won, but I feel for Bret Holmes)

- Quite possibly the cleanest plate race I've seen in a while in the Xfinity race

- A thrilling photo finish in the Xfinity race (Go Dinger!)

TBH, I feel scared for this Cup race. After seeing the tire farce at Texas, and the multiple drivers having concussion problems, I have a feeling something bad will happen at this race today. That could mean that the drivers might drive with a little more caution, but I don't know.

A little ironic that the Cup race ended up being relatively quiet outside of the crash; which could've been a lot worse.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

He's back, boys.

AJ Allmendinger is going to be racing full-time in the Cup Series in 2023, for the first time since 2018. He'll be driving the 16 car.

Replacing him in Xfinity will be Chandler Smith. It's at least a two car operation right now with Smith and Cassill. They're trying to get stuff done to keep Hemric around.

I'm excited for AJ and the team, obviously, but he's going to be 41, and considering he left Cup with a whimper with JTG, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I thought for certain they'd be hitching their wagon to Hemric. I guess Smith is now the team's end goal. Toyota loses another promising young talent because of the power structure within the manufacturer.

• Like 1

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png