NASCAR 2022

LAWeaver

5 hours ago, dont care said:

this is the first time the winner has been DQ’ed in over 60 years. From the report it sounds like they did something to the body that couldn’t be seen until the wrap was taken off. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me unless it’s so minor the optical scanner couldn’t even catch it. I am expecting big penalties coming this week though if Brad Keselowski’s penalty from atlanta is any indication.

It seems like it got through pre-race because they don't take off the wrap. Reports have it as material on the front facia and apparently it affected the aero of the 11 and 18. Because the penalty can be (and has been) appealed no more details have been released. I'd expect a more full explanation sometime this week after the appeal is heard and decided on.

2 hours ago, CDCLT said:

It seems like it got through pre-race because they don't take off the wrap. Reports have it as material on the front facia and apparently it affected the aero of the 11 and 18. Because the penalty can be (and has been) appealed no more details have been released. I'd expect a more full explanation sometime this week after the appeal is heard and decided on.

I know that, but what I’m talking about is how the car goes through optical scanning. The cars now are scanned with lasers and they know every inch of that car down to the millimeter. Makes me really wonder what they did to where it could pass that but once they take the wrap off they go well that ain’t right rather quickly too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont care said:

I know that, but what I’m talking about is how the car goes through optical scanning. The cars now are scanned with lasers and they know every inch of that car down to the millimeter. Makes me really wonder what they did to where it could pass that but once they take the wrap off they go well that ain’t right rather quickly too.

Apparently it was extra layers of vinyl (see tweet below).  Just a guess but I imagine it was on the high end of the scanner tolerances and legal in that regard, but NASCAR considers the "modification" itself illegal.  Again, that's a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

While it's not a present day discussion, today marks the 25th anniversary of Ricky Rudd winning the Brickyard 400.

I was just five years old, and was a huge Ricky Rudd fan (that bright orange caught my eye), and I cheered my little heart out that final dash to the finish. I'm 30 years old now, and just got finished watching the race that was such a huge point in my childhood; and I still feel my heart flutter a bit when he crosses the finish line to win, just like I did back in 1997. 

He was one of the many legends that they got together to pose for a group picture on the yard of bricks before the IndyCar race on Saturday.

(Second from left on the bottom row, right next to Sam Hornish). Also, my current favorite driver, AJ Allmendinger is photographed here from winning last year's race. So, I was very happy seeing my two favorite drivers off all time rubbing elbows with all these legends like Mario Andretti, AJ Foyt, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon.

I've collected a bunch of pieces of memorabilia from this race, because it means so much to me.

Spoiler

spacer.png

I've had the 1:24 scale diecast for pretty much 20 years. I got the program (complete with the insert as well) from a yard sale a few years ago. The 1:64 scale I got two of, from a lot off of eBay late last year. Earlier this year, I capped off my collection with both a ticket for the race, as well as a VIP Pass.

Anyway I just wanted to share this special moment for me in this a notable anniversary.

• Like 3