NASCAR 2022

LAWeaver

5 hours ago, dont care said:

this is the first time the winner has been DQ’ed in over 60 years. From the report it sounds like they did something to the body that couldn’t be seen until the wrap was taken off. Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me unless it’s so minor the optical scanner couldn’t even catch it. I am expecting big penalties coming this week though if Brad Keselowski’s penalty from atlanta is any indication.

It seems like it got through pre-race because they don't take off the wrap. Reports have it as material on the front facia and apparently it affected the aero of the 11 and 18. Because the penalty can be (and has been) appealed no more details have been released. I'd expect a more full explanation sometime this week after the appeal is heard and decided on.

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, CDCLT said:

It seems like it got through pre-race because they don't take off the wrap. Reports have it as material on the front facia and apparently it affected the aero of the 11 and 18. Because the penalty can be (and has been) appealed no more details have been released. I'd expect a more full explanation sometime this week after the appeal is heard and decided on.

I know that, but what I’m talking about is how the car goes through optical scanning. The cars now are scanned with lasers and they know every inch of that car down to the millimeter. Makes me really wonder what they did to where it could pass that but once they take the wrap off they go well that ain’t right rather quickly too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dont care said:

I know that, but what I’m talking about is how the car goes through optical scanning. The cars now are scanned with lasers and they know every inch of that car down to the millimeter. Makes me really wonder what they did to where it could pass that but once they take the wrap off they go well that ain’t right rather quickly too.

Apparently it was extra layers of vinyl (see tweet below).  Just a guess but I imagine it was on the high end of the scanner tolerances and legal in that regard, but NASCAR considers the "modification" itself illegal.  Again, that's a guess.

IUe6Hvh.png

• 2 weeks later...

While it's not a present day discussion, today marks the 25th anniversary of Ricky Rudd winning the Brickyard 400.

I was just five years old, and was a huge Ricky Rudd fan (that bright orange caught my eye), and I cheered my little heart out that final dash to the finish. I'm 30 years old now, and just got finished watching the race that was such a huge point in my childhood; and I still feel my heart flutter a bit when he crosses the finish line to win, just like I did back in 1997. 

He was one of the many legends that they got together to pose for a group picture on the yard of bricks before the IndyCar race on Saturday.

(Second from left on the bottom row, right next to Sam Hornish). Also, my current favorite driver, AJ Allmendinger is photographed here from winning last year's race. So, I was very happy seeing my two favorite drivers off all time rubbing elbows with all these legends like Mario Andretti, AJ Foyt, Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon.

I've collected a bunch of pieces of memorabilia from this race, because it means so much to me.

Spoiler

spacer.png

I've had the 1:24 scale diecast for pretty much 20 years. I got the program (complete with the insert as well) from a yard sale a few years ago. The 1:64 scale I got two of, from a lot off of eBay late last year. Earlier this year, I capped off my collection with both a ticket for the race, as well as a VIP Pass.

Anyway I just wanted to share this special moment for me in this a notable anniversary.

• Like 4

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

• 3 weeks later...

I’m curious to know everyone’s thoughts on the Kyle Busch situation regarding his future after this season. Supposedly JGR has yet to open discussion about a return in ‘23 and there’s buzz that Busch wants to leave Toyota altogether. Many believe Kaulig Racing (Chevrolet) will want his services as both driver and co-owner. Reports are that Kaulig wants to get into the Truck Series, which is where Busch already has a successful team. 

I like this scenario the most. Kaulig Racing is gaining a lot of steam and is a great second tier cup team along with Trackhouse. Adding a driver like Busch would do wonders.

Busch is too good of a driver to go to a second tier team. Unfortunately his asking price is too high, and he seems to have burnt most his bridges at Toyota by this point in the deals to go back. SHR is full with almorola coming back and custers daddy buying his ride. There were rumors of him swapping with bowman in the 48 and returning to Hendrick but I think that’s more a pipe dream for some fans than real news supported by facts

Some have posed that the Trackhouse 91 is actually for KFB, and the whole charade of the international stars was just to cover up the big plans. There's also rumors of going to RCR and letting Tyler Reddick walk to 23XI a year early.

It still looks like Kaulig is plan A, but that begs the question: What happens to KBM? It's Toyota's huge pipeline, does that whole structure jump to Chevy? In that case then some other teams will leap the other way to fill the gap.

I think the reason why people are so high on Kyle Busch going to Kaulig is Matt has pretty deep pockets, what with his LeafFilter business, and the many of other sponsors he and his team have their fingers in (Celsius, Nutrien Ag, Cirkul, Gold Fish slots, etc.), Matt could easily write Kyle a blank check. And, considering the 16 has been this year, a revolving door with Allmendinger, Hemric, and Gragson; signing Busch would be huge for the young team. It would solidify the car, with no more three-headed monster, and it would allow the team to focus on having two teams going for the Cup championship, and three in Xfinity. I think that at least for the road courses (especially the upcoming Chicago street course next year), they can go up to 3 Cup cars and have AJ and Daniel Hemric race on Sundays, as well as Saturdays.

Adding KBM would beefen up Kaulig Racing's portfolio and give them another channel for sponsorship and TV time. The probable sticking point would be the obvious change in manufacturer; from Toyota to Chevrolet, but this is something I think Matt and his guys can easily take care of. Might be one of the things in the possible "blank check" he'd offer.

Also, Kyle has his own energy drink, and Kaulig has one too in Celsius (which is a sparkling water type drink, but sort of behaves like an energy drink), and that might be a possible conflict of interests. But, I think they have something in place that both could operate in their own gravity without much (if any) overlap.

Would Kyle want to join them, though? They're full of infectious, happy, and excitable personalities. I mean AJ celebrates each win like it's his last, and Chris Rice literally can't stop smiling. I find it humorous that a standoffish, stubborn, short tempered, stick in the mud like Kyle Busch would want to join them. Now, I'm not knocking Kyle Busch for being a fierce competitor, it's just his documented personality just seems like the complete opposite of what Kaulig is.

I do think Kyle saw what Brad Keselowski did, sees him struggling yes; and I think he wants to show him and the rest of NASCAR he could do what Brad did with his eyes closed.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

So Kurt is out of the playoffs. 23XI has rescinded is medical waiver. I hope Denny didn’t do that as a favor for Gibbs to get Truex into the playoffs. But at this point if I was Kurt I’d just sit out the rest of the season now and fully recover. Gives Gibbs more experience before jumping to the 18, if Kurt decides to retire at the end of the season, that opens the 45 for reddick to jump a year early and have his brother go to RCR. I’m sure Childress would help Kyle’s KBM like he did with Harvick back in the day.

Well, that was an interesting race.

Usually, I would be over the moon about my guy AD3 winning. But it just doesn't seem fair. The only reason why he won was because NASCAR did not have the wherewithal to throw the yellow before the '01 All Star Race Part 2: Electric Boogaloo took place. The fact that almost half of the field was yelling that it was raining in one and two makes it worse.

That and the darn playoff format. I'll be the first to say that AD3 doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs this year. Sure, he's had 3 or 4 chances to win this year, but he hasn't even been the best driver in his organization. He's just been very inconsistent. In a perfect world, the win-and-get-in format doesn't exist and we still put people in the playoffs based on points and consistency, or even better, we just get rid of the playoffs in general.

But what I have learned as a NASCAR fan is that they never choose the common sense path. 

• Like 2

rAUPGPZ.png

Several spotters were screaming that there was rain at the tri-oval and there's at least one fan video of it raining there as the cars were in the backstretch. The Scott Miller interview was disingenuous at the very least. They knew rain was falling at the start-finish line, just didn't want to throw it. 

• Like 1

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Nice to see the 43 in victory lane again. Happy to see Eric Jones get a win. 

But yeah, these cars are absolute :censored:ing trash. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw so many cars break down in a race.

Busch got screwed, his engine dies while he's leading  with 20 laps  left,that sucks. 

If NASCAR has any more problems with these cars, they might as well be racing pintos. 

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 5:35 AM, DoctorWhom said:

Nice to see the 43 in victory lane again. Happy to see Eric Jones get a win. 

But yeah, these cars are absolute :censored:ing trash. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw so many cars break down in a race.

Busch got screwed, his engine dies while he's leading  with 20 laps  left,that sucks. 

If NASCAR has any more problems with these cars, they might as well be racing pintos. 

lol, what?

KFB blew an engine, Truex lost a water pump belt, and who knows what happened to Harvick. That's 3 cars, not a quarter of the field. It just happened to be 3 playoff guys. Sometimes parts fail, them's the breaks.

I was in Darlington on Sunday and it was awesome. Great weather (the initial "shower" was a little exaggerated, I felt maybe 15 medium raindrops over about 10 minutes, but I understand the restraint after last week's debacle), once the clouds passed, it cooled off and was very comfortable. The racing itself was a little ordinary, especially considering it was Darlington - but I think once Elliott and Harvick were out of contention, the rest of the playoff guys seemed pretty content to hang onto what they had and not take any huge risks. That didn't make for late-race drama like Larson/Creed/Gragson on Saturday, but it's like that sometimes. I thought Larson and Chastain were done early, but seeing them both battle back to something respectable was intriguing.

Would've loved to see Denny get the win, but nothing wrong with 2nd and it's always a treat to see the 43 in victory lane.

• Like 2

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png