NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

2 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Washington is finally retiring Sonny Jurgensen’s 9. Ceremony will take place in Week 18 vs Cowboys.

Will they paint his number on the sideline and make it a VIP area for opposing team families to make tic toc videos on?

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

On 8/22/2022 at 12:51 PM, leopard88 said:

I second this wholeheartedly.  The silver helmet with the blue star is such an ingrained part of the Cowboys image that it just feels completely wrong to do away with it . . . even for 1-2 games per year.

I’ve never liked the Cowboys’ white alt helmet. The Cowboys without silver/silver-blue don’t look like the Cowboys to me. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Est1980 said:

I'm with you. To me it's kinda pointless to have socks same color as pants. At that point it just becomes an extension of the pant itself, giving it the leotard look.

Their all-white look does the same thing. The black pants at least breaks up the pajama look and add a little something to give it some pop.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

There will never be another Number 9*

*You know, until some punk kid decides he wants to unretire it.

Gonna be devil’s advocate here and say that’s it’s not really the “punk kid”’s decision to unretire a number. They’re just requesting to wear the number and it’s ultimately up to the retired player and franchise they played for to decide whether or not a young player can wear it.

The most popular example, Joe Theismann didn’t have to let Dwayne Haskins wear 7, but he said yes anyway stating “I've given him permission. Not that I feel like I needed to, but he was respectful enough to ask… He doesn't need to worry about, 'Well, I wish I could've worn a different jersey. I wish I could've worn a number.'“

https://www.nfl.com/news/dwayne-haskins-gets-theismann-blessing-to-wear-no-7-0ap3000001029306

• Like 10

8 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Gonna be devil’s advocate here and say that’s it’s not really the “punk kid”’s decision to unretire a number. They’re just requesting to wear the number and it’s ultimately up to the retired player and franchise they played for to decide whether or not a young player can wear it.

The most popular example, Joe Theismann didn’t have to let Dwayne Haskins wear 7, but he said yes anyway stating “I've given him permission. Not that I feel like I needed to, but he was respectful enough to ask… He doesn't need to worry about, 'Well, I wish I could've worn a different jersey. I wish I could've worn a number.'“

https://www.nfl.com/news/dwayne-haskins-gets-theismann-blessing-to-wear-no-7-0ap3000001029306

the team could have just shot the whole nonsense down and said no pick another number...it's more likely that jt was pressured to relent doing so snyder could further boost up the local hotshot draft pick  by unretiring one of their most popular player's numbers.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 4

26 minutes ago, guest23 said:

the team could have just shot the whole nonsense down and said no pick another number...it's more likely that jt was pressured to relent doing so snyder could further boost up the local hotshot draft pick  by unretiring one of their most popular player's numbers.

🙄🙄🙄

I’m not defending Snyder in any way, but good grief. Not everything is a product of him being the absolute worst pro sports owner. 

Also, FWIW, Theismanns’s number isn’t retired. Anyone could theoretically wear it, but again, it’s up to the player and franchise’s discretion what happens to the numbers. “Punk kids” literally have no say in the process.

• Like 8

Just now, DCarp1231 said:

🙄🙄🙄

I’m not defending Snyder in any way, but good grief. Not everything is a product of him being the absolute worst pro sports owner. 

Also, FWIW, Theismanns’s number isn’t retired. Anyone could theoretically wear it, but again, it’s up to the player and franchise’s discretion what happens to the numbers. “Punk kids” literally have no say in the process.

I think you're missing the point. It's not unsurprising that a hotshot rookie would ask for his college number but the team obviously has final say on number assignments and if they thought 7 was off limits that would have been the end of it. 

• Dislike 1

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

I think you're missing the point. It's not unsurprising that a hotshot rookie would ask for his college number but the team obviously has final say on number assignments and if they thought 7 was off limits that would have been the end of it. 

To go along with this, Theisman was in a no win situation when Haskins asked him for his number. It’s either say no and get tore apart for saying it’s his number, or give up his number for the punk kid who had no right to ask in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 4
  • Dislike 1

18 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Their all-white look does the same thing. The black pants at least breaks up the pajama look and add a little something to give it some pop.

They have worn black socks with white jerseys and pants. Not as often as they should, but I’m almost positive I’ve seen it, and it looked good. 

EDIT: Checked Gridiron Uniform Database, and apparently they have never worn white jerseys, white pants, and black socks together with their current set. 

2 hours ago, dont care said:

To go along with this, Theisman was in a no win situation when Haskins asked him for his number. It’s either say no and get tore apart for saying it’s his number, or give up his number for the punk kid who had no right to ask in the first place.

spacer.png

Haskins had every right to ask for the number. It’s not retired and he really didn’t have to try to get it, either. It was a simple request for use of a number. Nothing more. He wasn’t being a “punk kid” by any measure.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

It was never Theismann's call to make regarding Haskins wearing #7. The team makes that decision, not the former players. The only reason new players "ask" alumni players for "permission" to wear the number they made famous is purely a PR move. It looks better that way to some people. 

• Like 6

Hotter Than July > Thriller

11 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

It was never Theismann's call to make regarding Haskins wearing #7. The team makes that decision, not the former players. The only reason new players "ask" alumni players for "permission" to wear the number they made famous is purely a PR move. It looks better that way to some people. 

Being respectful surely is such a PR move

On 8/15/2022 at 11:57 AM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I still don't see how this

spacer.png

is considered terrible

Compared to this

spacer.png

So much cleaner. The Falcons uniforms are not traditional, but they are a massive improvement over the generic piped out Reebok set they had before. New uniforms are simple and brand centric. You can't compare them with the Titans, which have a ton of flaws (logo on helmet has too many keylines, the dumb armpit inserts, the randomnness of the floating inserts on the pants). 

Both the Falcons and Jets have good, contemporary uniforms -- the issues only come from when they wear combinations that don't look good, which is a mistake even teams with traditional uniforms can make.

I remember people not wanting GreenBay to wear a green color rush uniform,  Those same people hated the 49ers all black uniform..but If it were a Falcons uniform, with a touch of white,  people would love it. Its so crazy how fickle people can be.

IDK, the black 49ers uniform is up there with the worst NFL uniforms of all-time. The only other ones that I think looks worse were when the Rams wore their white-horned helmets and new white/blue pants with their gold/navy jersey. 

FCPCgXKVIAczIU_.jpg

la-1525997913-dnxo1nhpsj-snap-image

both of these images are depressing to look at 

• Like 19

28 minutes ago, SwavyTree said:

I remember people not wanting GreenBay to wear a green color rush uniform,  Those same people hated the 49ers all black uniform..but If it were a Falcons uniform, with a touch of white,  people would love it. Its so crazy how fickle people can be.

Context and the specific teams matter. What is awful for, say, San Francisco could be good for another team. Now, the SF jersey was bad for everyone but context still matters.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske