2022 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVII

canzman

43 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

If the ugly sweater-ness was kept on the sleeves and/or shoulders it could work

Would make a good fashion jersey. 

15 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Looks like a fxccing scrimmage tonight

FkoB6MOaUAACsbB?format=jpg&name=large

Not good at all.  

Can’t decide which of these teams looks more terrible and boring. The league should take more control over these decisions and make their product more visually appealing. Should’ve forced the Jags to wear teal pants to add some color to this matchup. The Jets’ bizarre obsession with black is an abomination, but they are the home team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VikWings said:

Isn't the story that Bud Adams' daughter isn't a fan of the columbia blue? That's why they went back to navy primaries towards the end of the original set and the light blue in the current unis is an afterthought? I mean the pit stains seemed like they were added at the last minute just get some more of it in there.

I knew it!

8 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Can’t decide which of these teams looks more terrible and boring. The league should take more control over these decisions and make their product more visually appealing. Should’ve forced the Jags to wear teal pants to add some color to this matchup. The Jets’ bizarre obsession with black is an abomination, but they are the home team.

I don’t think you understand what the league’s priorities are.

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

14 hours ago, VikWings said:

Isn't the story that Bud Adams' daughter isn't a fan of the columbia blue? That's why they went back to navy primaries towards the end of the original set and the light blue in the current unis is an afterthought? I mean the pit stains seemed like they were added at the last minute just get some more of it in there.

I don't know where that story came from, but Adams Strunk went on record as liking both blues prior to the change. I don't remember what led to Tennessee switching back to navy primaries the year Mariota was drafted, but I don't think that had anything to do with it. 

I will say though that she is very obviously open to listen to fan/Nike input, and I personally attribute the fact that the colombia blue in Snatit's current uniforms is such an afterthought to both that and Nike's obsession at the time with their proprietary colors of obsidian (navy) and wolf gray.  As for the increase in red in their branding and stadium signage, that had been going on since the 2017 offseason--but the stadium itself always had more red than anything else. My guess has to do with matching up with the state flag, but that's purely a guess.

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I don’t think you understand what the league’s priorities are.

Or I think it wouldn’t be that hard for this multi-billion dollar league to set aside one or two people to help make the product more appealing for viewers. As a casual fan, I’d be more inclined to order a teal Jaguars jersey or sweatshirt if they weren’t dressed in black and white when I get to watch them on TV.

• Yawn 1

25 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

As a casual fan, I’d be more inclined to order a teal Jaguars jersey or sweatshirt if they weren’t dressed in black and white when I get to watch them on TV.

nobody that cares enough about the team to only watch them when they’re wearing black is going to order any Jaguars jersey, regardless of color. 

• Like 5
  • Huh? 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Pigskin12 said:

Or I think it wouldn’t be that hard for this multi-billion dollar league to set aside one or two people to help make the product more appealing for viewers. As a casual fan, I’d be more inclined to order a teal Jaguars jersey or sweatshirt if they weren’t dressed in black and white when I get to watch them on TV.

Those one or two people the NFL hires probably like black and white. Then what? What if they hire the person that’s currently picking the Jags unis? Why would the NFL hire those people instead of individual teams?

You’re assuming every football fan has the exact same taste. 

If the NFL sent out a memo that said teams must wear non-black primaries as much as possible, they wouldn’t need league employees. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

nobody that cares enough about the team to only watch them when they’re wearing black is going to order any Jaguars jersey, regardless of color. 

My point is that this team rarely ever plays in primetime and when they finally do they decide to wear a plain white uniform for all the out of market fans to see. Why not represent your brand as best as possible on the national stage? Nothing bad can come from the Jags sporting some teal and the Jets sporting some green for a nationally-televised game. The all-white/all-black shenanigans may appeal to someone who has recently taken the SATs and uses fire emojis, but I'm sure the majority of fans would like to see some colors on their HDTVs for three hours.

• Yawn 1

3 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

My point is that this team rarely ever plays in primetime and when they finally do they decide to wear a plain white uniform for all the out of market fans to see. Why not represent your brand as best as possible on the national stage? Nothing bad can come from the Jags sporting some teal and the Jets sporting some green for a nationally-televised game. The all-white/all-black shenanigans may appeal to someone who has recently taken the SATs and uses fire emojis, but I'm sure the majority of fans would like to see some colors on their HDTVs for three hours.

I totally agree with this, I just don't think it impacts jersey sales one bit.  Trust me - I'm pissed that the Eagles are choosing to wear solid black for their nationally-televised game tomorrow.  I don't get wearing your worst look (or at least least-used look) for your biggest games.  Nobody in the middle of Iowa that wouldn't otherwise purchase an Eagles jersey is going to watch the game and decide to order a black jersey.

• Like 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's an interesting collection of factors here.

Nike produces all the uniforms but the individual game-to-game choices are made by some combination of the team marketing departments and the equipment staff.

I'm sure marketing is looking at fan opinions and engagement stats but equipment managers are talking to the players.

My first guess was, "Hey these guys are now used to wearing a dozen different combos, including a BFBS and GFGS, every year. This is just what they know coming out of college."

But looking at the top schools for current NFL rosters: Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma. All very, very traditional schools in terms of aesthetics, that DON'T do a lot of uniform combinations (compared to say Oregon).

So I dunno. Who knows why we're getting the types of combinations we're getting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

There's an interesting collection of factors here.

Nike produces all the uniforms but the individual game-to-game choices are made by some combination of the team marketing departments and the equipment staff.

I'm sure marketing is looking at fan opinions and engagement stats but equipment managers are talking to the players.

My first guess was, "Hey these guys are now used to wearing a dozen different combos, including a BFBS and GFGS, every year. This is just what they know coming out of college."

But looking at the top schools for current NFL rosters: Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, Michigan, Penn State, Clemson, Notre Dame, Oklahoma. All very, very traditional schools in terms of aesthetics, that DON'T do a lot of uniform combinations (compared to say Oregon).

So I dunno. Who knows why we're getting the types of combinations we're getting.

Probably because they had one standard home and away uniform in college, and now want to mix it up in the NFL. Combined with the average fan finds alternate uniforms cool, and you now understand why teams wear uniforms like the Browns color rush or Jets all-black

• Like 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

I don't think this is anything complex. The players like picking what they wear, and they're handed a bunch of options. Of course they're going to use combinations that might appear odd from a branding perspective, their interests are in wearing things they think look good and in continuing superstitions and stuff. That is not necessarily going to line up with what makes for an appealing uniform for anyone on the outside or for consistency that establishes a brand. 

Give people options, and they'll use them. 

I'll also add that monochrome is very much the norm in the other major US sports, and it is also very normal in fashion. You'd never tell someone their suit looked bad because it was the jacket and the pants were the same color, right? And white monochrome is historically normal in football, too. So give people with that background the ability to pick their uniforms, and of course they're going to pick that stuff. That's what's around them. 

• Like 2