MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

8 hours ago, adsarebad said:

No, the gold was  what made them unique. No other team had that shade of gold.

I appreciate uniqueness in design, as that’s kind of the central point of sports uniforms, after all. However, unique does not necessarily equal good. The shade of gold they ended up going with was way too dark (for some reason darker than the shade they tested with the 2014 All-Star Game branding), to where it blended with the red to create this awful, muddy shade that didn’t look great from any sort of distance. The only way I think the gold could have maybe worked would be if they flipped the navy & red of the wordmark so that the red & gold didn’t touch. The stripes would also have to be bigger, like the current set, because they were barely visible as they were. 

9 hours ago, adsarebad said:

this is just another navy, red, white team. No outline on the front wordmark, and sleeve stripes are just ripped from the Rangers.

The Rangers and Twins both debuted that striping pattern in 1972, so I’m not sure one could say that either team stole it from the other. Plus, it’s not exactly a groundbreaking stripe design to begin with.

Twin cities? Just the Royals home jersey with navy instead of royal blue.

I’ve seen so many people on Twitter say this & I don’t think I’ll ever understand why. Is it the single color script, & the thick stripe? That’s about where the similarities end. The Royals don’t wear cream, and navy is different enough from royal. If anything, the addition of gold seems like it would be more of an encroachment into Royals territory, not to mention that the Royals themselves are essentially the American League’s version of the Dodgers. 

Single layer, one color script, on all of them!

The consistency is a very welcome change. That I think it looks good is an added bonus.

• Like 9

"X team stole design trait from Y team" has to be one of the most overused and unhelpful critiques one can make, honestly; uniform branding is essentially just fashion design. People will inevitably use the same concepts and ideas as others if they work for the brand of the team, that's literally how design trends propagate.

Black worked for the Kings and Raiders, so a whole gaggle of teams either used black for a while or permanently switched to having black as a core identity color. The Expos and Oilers used powder blue and that became an iconic look, so a bunch of other teams followed that trend. The Rangers popularized diagonal wordmarks in professional hockey, UCLA popularized shoulder striping on football jerseys, etc, etc.

• Like 6
  • Love 5

10 hours ago, jp1409 said:

Seems like the Royals light blue pants don't have piping. All their jerseys have thick sleeve piping and their other pants also do. Not good.

For those (like me) who weren’t sure what this was referring to:

They should have had these in the original uniform update, but this is still a solid upgrade.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Saw  some Dodgers players wearing the regular LA hat with the Spring Training jersey and it really drove the point home that they need to wear the blue for regular season games. It's just too good to never be worn.

corey-seager-2020-spring-training-7.jpg

Was going to disagree but we see it a little in the City Connect.

Craig-Kimbrel-Dodgers-City-Connect.jpeg?

*addendum, I'd be really curious to see how this looks if you swapped black for white.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Hurl 5
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, BadSeed84 said:

They should add a white outline to the red numbers.

I agree.  And the outline should be so thick that it fills in the rest of the jersey except for the script.  I'd also change the script to blue.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 11

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/2/2023 at 6:29 PM, MJWalker45 said:

Watching the Red Sox wear their standard home uniform and it looks so stupid to see most of the fielding players wearing the as patch on the left sleeve and the pitcher wearing it on his right sleeve, just so it stays in the picture as much as possible during the game. 

MassMutual will be the first sponsor to have its logo on Red Sox uniforms -  The Boston Globe

Red Sox Mass Mutual Collaboration – NBC Boston

I think the masses can mutually agree on that.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2023 at 12:19 AM, MJD7 said:

I appreciate uniqueness in design, as that’s kind of the central point of sports uniforms, after all. However, unique does not necessarily equal good. The shade of gold they ended up going with was way too dark (for some reason darker than the shade they tested with the 2014 All-Star Game branding), to where it blended with the red to create this awful, muddy shade that didn’t look great from any sort of distance. The only way I think the gold could have maybe worked would be if they flipped the navy & red of the wordmark so that the red & gold didn’t touch. The stripes would also have to be bigger, like the current set, because they were barely visible as they were. 

The Rangers and Twins both debuted that striping pattern in 1972, so I’m not sure one could say that either team stole it from the other. Plus, it’s not exactly a groundbreaking stripe design to begin with.

I’ve seen so many people on Twitter say this & I don’t think I’ll ever understand why. Is it the single color script, & the thick stripe? That’s about where the similarities end. The Royals don’t wear cream, and navy is different enough from royal. If anything, the addition of gold seems like it would be more of an encroachment into Royals territory, not to mention that the Royals themselves are essentially the American League’s version of the Dodgers. 

The consistency is a very welcome change. That I think it looks good is an added bonus.

The multiple layer team script, name and numbers looks great up close,  single layer looks cheap. 

And if you are buying these MLB jerseys and $3-400+ a pop you want something that looks better than a basic T-shirt.

Only teams that have a single color like the yankees and dodgers are excused, they have to do. Minnesota, not so much.

Everyone is free to love their new jerseys,  i am free to call then boring and cheap looking.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 3/3/2023 at 3:51 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Was going to disagree but we see it a little in the City Connect.

Craig-Kimbrel-Dodgers-City-Connect.jpeg?

*addendum, I'd be really curious to see how this looks if you swapped black for white.

And here we see just  how the blue pants destroys the whole look.

CC jersey would look great with the white pants.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, adsarebad said:

The multiple layer team script, name and numbers looks great up close,  single layer looks cheap. 

And if you are buying these MLB jerseys and $3-400+ a pop you want something that looks better than a basic T-shirt.

Only teams that have a single color like the yankees and dodgers are excused, they have to do. Minnesota, not so much.

Everyone is free to love their new jerseys,  i am free to call then boring and cheap looking.  🙂

Personally, I think the single-layer looks nice & clean. It’s a heck of a lot easier to read from a distance.

It’s interesting that you bring up the Yankees & Dodgers, which are widely considered to be two of the most classic uniforms in baseball (you could throw the Tigers in there as another example). I’m not sure why the Twins wouldn’t be allowed to try to emulate that, considering the team is one of the original American League franchises dating back to 1901. 

I welcome a team (especially one as desperate for a change as the Twins were) trying a new way to distribute two colors in a scheme rather than just slapping them both in the wordmark.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Personally, I think the single-layer looks nice & clean. It’s a heck of a lot easier to read from a distance.

It’s interesting that you bring up the Yankees & Dodgers, which are widely considered to be two of the most classic uniforms in baseball (you could throw the Tigers in there as another example). I’m not sure why the Twins wouldn’t be allowed to try to emulate that, considering the team is one of the original American League franchises dating back to 1901. 

I welcome a team (especially one as desperate for a change as the Twins were) trying a new way to distribute two colors in a scheme rather than just slapping them both in the wordmark.

The use of two colors in single layer emulates the TC logo which is by far and away the most classic and instantly recognizable part of the Twins identity.

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

11 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The blue pants are what save the CC from my perspective. 

Still a bland design, in my opinion. It’s basically every concept for a Dodgers alternate I’ve seen on these forums the past decade or so + blue pants. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, adsarebad said:

You can have two colors and make it work.
2e090890f1bdeb7bddd97539730dff44f98b7dcf

The script in just the dark blue at home just works  for Toronto.
th?id=OIP.iJCp0GL8nDKXASV2HCZVHQHaHD%26p

The Astros sunrise jerseys had blue only script.

1972-cleveland-indians-team-roster-by-na

And the Twins aren't even the first blue and red team to have one color script. Single color scripts can work for teams with more than one colour.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

You can have two colors and make it work.
2e090890f1bdeb7bddd97539730dff44f98b7dcf

The script in just the dark blue at home just works  for Toronto.
th?id=OIP.iJCp0GL8nDKXASV2HCZVHQHaHD%26p

The Astros sunrise jerseys had blue only script.

1972-cleveland-indians-team-roster-by-na

And the Twins aren't even the first blue and red team to have one color script. Single color scripts can work for teams with more than one colour.

I know the construction of the Jays jersey posted at the time was single layer, with the white being a gap but visually it's a two colour script and wouldn't apply. The script now, on the 2012-Current jerseys, is also white twill on top of blue twill becoming a physical and visual two(or three in the case of the road) layer and colour script.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

56 minutes ago, AnPheitseog said:

I know the construction of the Jays jersey posted at the time was single layer, with the white being a gap but visually it's a two colour script and wouldn't apply. The script now, on the 2012-Current jerseys, is also white twill on top of blue twill becoming a physical and visual two(or three in the case of the road) layer and colour script.

I always saw the Blue Jays script as a split one using one colour, at least for the home.

• Like 1