MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

The M’s City Connect jersey is very nearly perfect. I’d go as far as to say it’s my favorite jersey the Mariners have ever had in blue & yellow. The only thing I’m not big on is the patch logo and, as sort of a reverse of the Rangers, I wish they went with navy instead of black. I also would’ve used black/navy for the middle stripe, but that’s a minor quibble.

The pants though… yeah, oof.  That decision really takes this set down more than a few notches. I’m not even someone that thinks baseball pants need to always be lighter colors, I’ve welcomed Nike’s experimentation with darker pants with City Connects like the Rockies, Astros, & the Rangers’ recent ones. But this simply does not look right. Blue pants would have even been tolerable, & white pants would’ve made this uniform glorious. I wouldn’t have even minded the dark brim on the cap, as that option would’ve been equally as valid as a blue or yellow brim. 

Overall, this could’ve ended up easily becoming one of the best City Connects, but it ended up being one of the most disappointing.

5GOwM5K.jpg

• Like 7

If you set aside the expectations of what a MLB uniform should look like, I think the design is pretty strong. The black pants, while odd, seem like an integral part of this set, tying together the other black elements of the uniform, and the black undershirt.

Given that the City Connect designs have been untethered to the 'rules' of baseball uniforms from Day 1, I find it hard to really complain about this set.

• Like 1

Eh, I think the black pants are fine. It dodges monocolor while keeping the pants dark so that they blend better into the overall uniform; and I really don't think yellow or white would have worked here, since those colors (especially white) aren't abundant enough to not come off kinda like the Avs' black equipment did after Adidas rid of the black stripes on their jerseys.

Yellow pants would just grab all the attention on the jersey since it'd be the big splotch of warm color on an otherwise mostly-cool color jersey. And white just has so little prominence on the jersey that white pants would be even more distracting. So in the context of this design specifically, black makes the most sense.

Now, does that mean it was the strongest design? Not necessarily, but I think in the grand scheme it's not a terrible decision since they went with the color hierarchy they did.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Eh, I think the black pants are fine. It dodges monocolor while keeping the pants dark so that they blend better into the overall uniform; and I really don't think yellow or white would have worked here, since those colors (especially white) aren't abundant enough to not come off kinda like the Avs' black equipment did after Adidas rid of the black stripes on their jerseys.

White pants work amazingly well for all alternate baseball unis. A lot of teams wear white pants with jerseys that have very little white in them (Mariners current alts come to mind)

The blue, yellow, and black remind me of San Jose State when they really went all in with BFBS in the early 2000s. No real similarity, but just the same vibe:

San José State Football on Twitter: "𝗦𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟴 | On This Date  📅 @CoachNeilParry returns to college football action in 2003 after a  three-season absence and 25 surgical procedures. Fitted with a

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 hours ago, Blast_Brothers said:

If you set aside the expectations of what a MLB uniform should look like, I think the design is pretty strong. The black pants, while odd, seem like an integral part of this set, tying together the other black elements of the uniform, and the black undershirt.

Given that the City Connect designs have been untethered to the 'rules' of baseball uniforms from Day 1, I find it hard to really complain about this set.

Exactly. From purely a design standpoint, the black pants fit the overall design very well. I'm glad this program is attempting to expand the visual language of the baseball uniform as we know it. White over white and gray over gray all the time is boring. Not to mention the tie-in to early baseball uniforms that used colored pants with colored jerseys. It should be way more common. As a graphic designer myself, I love seeing them utilizing the entire canvas and trying to operate beyond the conventional uniform design structure.

All that being said, the cream Sunday pants would be a great alternative option with the CC uniform.

spacer.png

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MNtwins3 said:

This forum's insistence that Nike has total control over uniform design baffles me. Both of these teams chose to look like this

they worked with Nike right?

Nike approached them with design ideas, isn't that how the teams phrase it every time we get the mile long explanation of why "that is here and this is there" on the jerseys?

6 hours ago, adsarebad said:

The sleeve  patch looks to be  plastic/rubber like and not  embroidered .... not something i would pay $475 for!

-

-

spacer.png

The sleeve patch looks stitched to me. You can see the directional changes of the thread

• Like 3

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

48 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I actually don't mind the black pants. However, I wish they would have kept the teal/navy/silver color scheme instead.

No doubt,  this is venturing  out in NBA waters,   with  plenty of unis that stray away from the team colors

13 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

Still,  pnw ?  Nah, smh

I don't see why the Mariners using a very common acronym for the Pacific Northwest is such a problem on a City Connect jersey. It's not like they're using it as a replacement for the name on their road jersey.

• Like 8

Just now, Ridleylash said:

I don't see why the Mariners using a very common acronym for the Pacific Northwest is such a problem on a City Connect jersey.

You basically just wrote what the problem is yourself.

City Connect Jersey =  City of Seattle ....... Pacific Northwest =

-

spacer.png 

Just now, adsarebad said:

City Connect Jersey =  City of Seattle

Which is in Washington, which is part of the Pacific Northwest. Therefore, having "PNW" on the jersey is absolutely reasonable since Seattle is one of the main cities in the Pacific Northwest region, and the only one with an MLB franchise.

• Like 12

46 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

City Connect Jersey =  City of Seattle ....... Pacific Northwest =

-

spacer.png 

Like 15% of that is the Pacific Northwest.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫