New Soldier Field stadium plans unveiled

TrueYankee26

Northwestern just bulldozed Ryan Field in Evanston, which had some sort of "only college athletics here" clause in the donations that funded it, which is why the Bears couldn't play there. I imagine their new $800MM venue they want to cram full of events will not have such a clause.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I thought the plan was to build the new stadium south of Soldier Field, which would allow them to continue using it. Then demolish the "stadium" portion of Soldier Field once the new stadium is completed, while incorporating the protected exterior into a museum. Or did I misread that?

44 minutes ago, McCall said:

I thought the plan was to build the new stadium south of Soldier Field, which would allow them to continue using it. Then demolish the "stadium" portion of Soldier Field once the new stadium is completed, while incorporating the protected exterior into a museum. Or did I misread that?

That is the plan.  

3 hours ago, McCall said:

Sure would like to know where everyone is going to park, then. Maybe you can utilize McCormick Place and the giant underground garages at Grant and Millennium, but those are already used to an extent for Bears games and I don't know how much more capacity they have.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They'll have to park at their respective Metra stations and take the trains in. Then when they all get there we'll get into the Guinness Book of World Records for most people simultaneously yelling the n-word.

It would be funny if Soldier Field left the colonnades but otherwise became a parking lot. I'm just sitting here like "well BigMac12 sure showed me."

• LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Maybe they could play in the United Center like they did in the 1932 playoffs at Chicago Stadium.

That game is what brought us hashmarks.

Also the field was 80 yards long so they kept 'moving the chains' back 20 yards after a team reach midfield to make them go the additional 20 they were missing. Prior to this game, the ball was spotted where a player went down at. If they went out at the sideline, the ball was put in play along the sideline. The narrow field meant teams could 'move the ball away from the wall' at Chicago Stadium (they also gave up a down to do this). The next year the NFL codified it as the rule, and the ball could only be spotted inside the hashmarks. No matter how far wide a player was tackled.

• Like 1

The Chicago Tribune has some details. After the White Sox said they needed $2 billion in public funding to build their ballpark and got a rather frosty reception to the idea, the Bears realized they'd need to temper their request a bit to make it palatable and -- ahhhh, I'm just yankin' your chain, they want $2.3 billion in public money.for whatever $4.6 billion piece of garbage they want to plunk on the lakefront.

From the Tribune article, I give you the hero America needs, sports economist J.C. Bradbury:

Sports economist J.C. Bradbury, voicing a common concern among economists, said whatever public money is earmarked for the stadium would be better spent on other public projects, or returned to taxpayers.

“Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me,” Bradbury said. “The Bears aren’t going to leave one of the most iconic football markets in the country. Tell the Bears to pay for their own damn stadium, and if they don’t like it, to go jump in Lake Michigan.”

8 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

“The Bears aren’t going to leave one of the most iconic football markets in the country. Tell the Bears to pay for their own damn stadium, and if they don’t like it, to go jump in Lake Michigan.”

Replace Bears with Browns and Michigan with Erie.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

From me on Monday afternoon:

A meeting with "city officials and stakeholders" means no county or state ones want anything to do with this still. 

The nonsense state agency that was created to give Jerry Reinsdorf a free ballpark and later financed the Soldier Field renovations, both of which are still not paid off, is called the Illinois Sports Facilities Authority. Not the Chicago Sports Facilities Authority. It was created by the state legislature and governor. Unless Brand-o can magically make the money appear on his own, and he can't because he's the most impotent Chicago mayor since Eugene Sawyer, he needs the state support. And the governor, the state Senate leader, and the state House leader have all been pretty explicit "no"s on these public funding schemes floated by the Bears and White Sox.

I'm sure the TV news will show some lovely renderings though.

EDIT: Oh, buddy.

• Like 1

Kevin Warren wants to bring the Olympics to Chicago and says the new $4.7 billion stadium will be a fixed dome because a retractable one would cost a couple hundred million more and he wants to be "fiscally responsible." In other news i smell toast burning fjshfbfzjskzhbr

The prayer before the stadium presentation was really a bad look.  Kevin Warren's faux-ministry bull :censored: stuff really makes me ill.

I could give a rat's ass about the renderings or the financial plans.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

22 minutes ago, CS85 said:

The prayer before the stadium presentation was really a bad look.  Kevin Warren's faux-ministry bull :censored: stuff really makes me ill.

I could give a rat's ass about the renderings or the financial plans.

Who does he think he is, Jack Easterby??

It's where I sit.

Publicly funded stadiums are politics. So here are some more words from politicians who are not Brandon Johnson, courtesy of https://capitolfax.com/2024/04/24/pritzker-says-he-remains-skeptical-about-bears-proposal-im-not-sure-that-this-is-among-the-highest-priorities-for-taxpayers/

Adding… Gov. Pritzker just pointed out during another press conference that three professional sports teams are hoping to build new stadiums, but the Bears plan uses all the available bonding authority for this project, leaving nothing for the other two.

…Adding… Isabel just asked how the capital plan will be funded. “There are dollars that we believe exist at the state level, at the potentially federal level, [and] at the city level,” CEO Williams said. So, he didn’t answer the question.

Isabel asked a follow-up about specific funding from the state, but Williams would only say “We do look forward to having some detailed conversations with the state here in the near future.”

…Adding… Senate President Harmon react…

Senate President Don Harmon (D-Oak Park) issued the following statement regarding the Chicago Bears’ stadium proposal unveiled Wednesday:

“At first glance, more than $2 billion in private funding is better than zero and a more credible opening offer. But there’s an obvious, substantial gap remaining, and I echo the governor’s skepticism.”

…Adding… House Speaker Chris Welch…

The Speaker is happy to continue engaging in conversations regarding the future of our Chicago teams, and is encouraged by the private investments being proposed. In the current legislative environment, with many important budget pressures, there hasn’t been a strong appetite for these projects. Environments can and do often change in Springfield, but the Speaker’s priority is to stay focused on passing a balanced budget and continuing the positive outlook we saw announced by Moody’s yesterday.

Welch also told reporters today that if he put this plan on the big board today it would fail miserably.

7 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Publicly funded stadiums are politics. So here are some more words from politicians who are not Brandon Johnson, courtesy of https://capitolfax.com/2024/04/24/pritzker-says-he-remains-skeptical-about-bears-proposal-im-not-sure-that-this-is-among-the-highest-priorities-for-taxpayers/

@Sodboy13 (quoted above) and @The_Admiral can opine with more clarity on the politics and local points, so I'll not bother, but as a very passionate and long-time Bears fan, the non-twitter reaction to the renderings, the financial plan, and the church sermon/press conference has been quiet.  Dead quiet.

I think most will view this whole endeavor with a pre-installed fatigue over the consistently mind-boggling financial decisions the Bears organization has made for decades, bolstered by the tiresome and constant hand-wringing of billionaire NFL owners crying poor, and how stadiums are, for whatever reason, only lasting maybe 10-15 years before it is absolutely vital that a new stadium be built with a huge allotment of taxpayer dollars.

The twist of having this particular mission being, apparently, a mission from The Lord, is a particularly insulting one, but I guess relentless prayer has kept Virginia McCaskey alive since the Battle of Bull Run and was surely the primary constructor of US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, so what the hell do I know?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter