Let's Fix Things That May or May Not Be Broken

BBTV

28 minutes ago, raysox said:

I think If I ran a spring league, I would use the college-style wide hashmarks and make the kickers set up for point after touchdowns relative to where the touchdown was scored in the endzone like they do in rugby

A couple other things that could work-

• rings expanding out from the pylon for “coffin corner” punts. A ring from 5 yard into the 2 yard line is 1 pt while a ring from 2 to goal line is 2 pts

• The unapproved rule proposal from the Ravens a few seasons ago stating that any kickoff that goes through the field goal post up rights is 1 pt

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

As a non-soccer fan (not a soccer detractor, just it's not my "go to" sport) I think PKs are absurd.  It seems like just a guessing game and the goalie has to make a quick read and guess right, left, low, or high, and hope.

MLS did “shootouts” in the 90s in the style of hockey penalties, with the player running in alone on goal from 40 yards out or something like that. Obviously there’s much more to that than firing off the one shot from the designated spot. Unpopular to admit that any of MLS’s early-days experiments with Americanizing soccer were smart but that was an improvement on traditional penalties.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

14 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

A couple other things that could work-

• rings expanding out from the pylon for “coffin corner” punts. A ring from 5 yard into the 2 yard line is 1 pt while a ring from 2 to goal line is 2 pts

• The unapproved rule proposal from the Ravens a few seasons ago stating that any kickoff that goes through the field goal post up rights is 1 pt

Hmm not sure about either of these. There’s something so perfect and mechanical about the look of a football field that rings would only mess up. Plus I think having a kickoff being a second extra point try has flaws that teams without Justin Tucker would not benefit from.

id rather try the Schiano rule for changing possessions at that point

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Hitting the uprights should count as a field goal like hitting the foul pole counts as a HR in baseball.

But the whole thing is to go "through the uprights".  I think balls hitting the posts and seeing how they bounce is really fun.

The problem is that the rule only applies up to the top of the posts, and then the ball just has to go over the posts - essentially widening the target.  The posts need to be raised.

OR.... make the whole thing like a projection, and it makes some kind of cool sound if the ball passes through the forcefield, in which case the edge could count.  That would eliminate the actual posts from the field of play which could be aesthetically pleasing too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

But the whole thing is to go "through the uprights".  I think balls hitting the posts and seeing how they bounce is really fun.

The problem is that the rule only applies up to the top of the posts, and then the ball just has to go over the posts - essentially widening the target.  The posts need to be raised.

OR.... make the whole thing like a projection, and it makes some kind of cool sound if the ball passes through the forcefield, in which case the edge could count.  That would eliminate the actual posts from the field of play which could be aesthetically pleasing too.

If going over the top of the upright counts then hitting it should count too. I'm sure Bears fans are with me on this.

BB52Big.jpg

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

Frickin lasers, man.😲

But seriously, that would be a great idea. Some type of censor field that only activates on a field goal/extra point attempt. If used in college, would remove the problem of students bringing down the goalposts after an upset.🤔

I want to see some test football games for a spring league where punting isn't allowed. You have to go for it on every fourth down. What would that mean for the defenses? What would that mean for offensive play calling? What would the final scores look like? 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

They'd figure out a way to tear down the sensor field.

No, you turn it off right as their jumping for it and then watch them all pile up on top of each other. Then the visiting team gets to chuck water balloons at them as a consolation prize.

• Like 1

Or you make it so that it vaporizes anything that touches it. 

You know the FG was good if the ball is vaporized. Some dumb college kid wants to try and take down the sensor? Poof!  We could even add explosion sound effects to it. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Or you make it so that it vaporizes anything that touches it. 

You know the FG was good if the ball is vaporized. Some dumb college kid wants to try and take down the sensor? Poof!  We could even add explosion sound effects to it. 

It seems like Futurama should have touched on this, the way they did with blernsball.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I just think that there should be more vaporization in general in sports. 

like if the basketball game is on the line and a guy shoots a potential game-winning 3 pointer, the opposing coach should have the opportunity - only once per game - to click a button and have the ball disintegrate or explode before it can go through the hoop and win the game. 

It could get problematic if the button is pressed while a guy is going for a dunk, but it would certainly add another element of strategy to the game.   Do you save your button press for a free throw? Or do you use it earlier on a 3 point shot? The possibilities - and ramifications - are endless. 

• Like 2
  • Hate 1

31 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I just think that there should be more vaporization in general in sports. 

like if the basketball game is on the line and a guy shoots a potential game-winning 3 pointer, the opposing coach should have the opportunity - only once per game - to click a button and have the ball disintegrate or explode before it can go through the hoop and win the game. 

It could get problematic if the button is pressed while a guy is going for a dunk, but it would certainly add another element of strategy to the game.   Do you save your button press for a free throw? Or do you use it earlier on a 3 point shot? The possibilities - and ramifications - are endless. 

Or take out their best player earlier in the game (and permentently) and force someone else to take the final shot later.

• 3 weeks later...

Something I've thought about occasionally: I remember hearing something about the CFL having two salary caps back in the 90s, a general cap and a separate QB cap.  With MLS' Designated Player rule also on my mind, I'm thinking the NFL might benefit from having a similar rule where X number of roster spots are exempt from the cap, which would likely enable stars to get paid what they feel they're worth without teams needing to decimate their rosters to the extent they occasionally need to do now.  

• Like 2

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

57 minutes ago, Discrim said:

Something I've thought about occasionally: I remember hearing something about the CFL having two salary caps back in the 90s, a general cap and a separate QB cap.  With MLS' Designated Player rule also on my mind, I'm thinking the NFL might benefit from having a similar rule where X number of roster spots are exempt from the cap, which would likely enable stars to get paid what they feel they're worth without teams needing to decimate their rosters to the extent they occasionally need to do now.  

I've proposed that in other threads several times.  QBs could be exempt, but would still need to fit into the percentage of revenue that's shared with the players.  Decrease the cap by x amount, and then cap-x = QB allowance.  I don't know if it would just be QB1, or all QBs that would fit in this new cap.

There's a lot of complicated things that would need to be worked out.  A lot.  But it could be done. 

The Eagles have to decide this offseason whether or not to pay Jalen Hurts (I think it's clear by now that they should.)  But because of this, several pro-bowlers will either be gone, or they'll have to get even more creative than they already do in order to keep guys and be in compliance.  I understand every team deals with this so I'm not saying it's unfair, but it does feel like a penalty for making a good 2nd-round draft pick - especially since if he was a 1, they'd get him cheap for an extra season.

On 1/2/2023 at 12:25 PM, raysox said:

id rather try the Schiano rule for changing possessions at that point

Love it. Kickoffs for touchbacks are so useless. Onside kicks suck too. Punting is an art. More punting!

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫