North American Pro Soccer 2023

Brian in Boston

Thierry Henry for USMNT? Interesting possibility. On the one hand, I can't imagine any other big names of this stature wanting the job, on top of his unique mix of being an all-world player who also knows the American landscape of the game (plus World Cup coaching experience to boot albeit as an assistant). On the other hand, very limited head coaching experience at any level, and what he did have wasn't particularly good. https://www.espn.com/soccer/france-fraw/story/4902213/thierry-henry-rejects-france-women-head-coach-role-keen-on-usmnt-sources

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't think the MLS is ready for St Louis CITY FC, aka, the greatest soccer team to ever exist.

I needed that. After Mizzou and the Battlehawks lost in the first 2 portions of my personal sports marathon, this was a welcome relief. Now just need the US to hang on against Venezuela, and at least half the night can be salvaged. 

Just found out this morning that Patrick Vieira got sacked by Crystal Palace. I remain ambivalent on the Berhalter return question — actually leaning toward bringing him back given that Pulisic ESPN interview — but if you want a fresh voice who strikes the right balance of experience in the global game with familiarly and success within the weird framework of the USA game, seems like a great choice. Plus he’s in the Pep coaching tree which should please that crowd. Only problem: was brought to America by… Claudio Reyna.

Am I missing something here or does the “all the games are roughly at the same time” thing kind of suck? A cool March Madness thing is that you can really go wild and binge it if you want to. MLS making a leaguewide plan the default would seem to point to that, but it’s undone by such an emphasis on simultaneous kickoffs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Digby said:

Am I missing something here or does the “all the games are roughly at the same time” thing kind of suck? A cool March Madness thing is that you can really go wild and binge it if you want to. MLS making a leaguewide plan the default would seem to point to that, but it’s undone by such an emphasis on simultaneous kickoffs. 

It's great for Decision Day and stupid for every other week.

I read elsewhere that the whole scheduling is centered around the new Apple TV studio show, but who cares about that?

I enjoyed MLS soccer all weekend long, not during two distinct time periods for no valid reason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

14 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's great for Decision Day and stupid for every other week.

I read elsewhere that the whole scheduling is centered around the new Apple TV studio show, but who cares about that?

I enjoyed MLS soccer all weekend long, not during two distinct time periods for no valid reason.

I disagree. I love it.  It makes MLS Saturday nights feel like an event. 

Living in the St. Louis area, in the central time zone, I've gotten into a rhythm of watching the early games on MLS 360 before St. Louis CITY game starts at 7:30. And then I typically stick around and watch bits of the late games. 

Prior to St. Louis getting a team, I followed the Timbers. When I lived in Portland, before the league simulcast on ESPN+, I'd ONLY watch the Timbers and then tune out from the league, mostly because the other games weren't on. Once the league went to ESPN+, I could still watch other games, but the way it was integrated into my streaming service (Hulu) made it easier for me to click away to other content. 

But with Apple+, I'm not as inclined to click out of the app and, as a result, I'm getting exposed to far more of the league than I ever did before.  The whiparound format has been great for this. I'd much rather have bits of multiple games on screen than click in and out among several ongoing matches. The only way this is possible is if the league structures its schedule to have all their games in one night. 

The other benefit to this: By branding yourself as primarily a Saturday night league, like the NFL has done with Sundays, you run into fewer individual programming conflicts. I'm less likely to tune into a game on a Friday or a Sunday because, in my mind, MLS is for Saturday nights. 

• Like 2

I think a part of it is that I have other things to do on Saturday nights. It's a nice timeslot when I feel like going to a game, but early in the season, 35 and dark out makes me a lot less inclined to schlep to Foxboro than 45 and sunny. If I'm at home, I guess the whiparound is fun but I'd kinda rather watch full games. And anyway there's a more-likely-than-usual chance that I won't be home, because it's Saturday, and how am I gonna get a bar/restaurant to put on a game now?

• Like 2

Yeah, I really don't like the lack of pre-7:30 ET start times and mid-week games this year. 3:30 start times for games are great because you can get done before 7 and are still able to do whatever you want with your Saturday night. I've gone to two of the three Atlanta home games so far, and it's been a doozy dealing with getting back home and just not having the energy to go out afterward. 

• Like 2

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-vs-arsenal-2023-mls-all-star-game-set-for-july-in-dc

MLS All-Stars will play Arsenal this year in Washinton D.C. I wassurprised that the newer MLS stadiums weren't getting this game, but then I realized they hadn't played there yet. I'm guessing we'll get some version of a dark uniform, instead of something city specific.  

Manchester United will also be coming to the United States, but haven't announced their locations yet. 

• Love 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think if MLS and Apple did scheduling similar to the NFL it might be better. Make it an all day event. Have an afternoon slot (say 3 PM eastern), followed by 5 PM slot, 7PM slot, and 9PM slot.)  You can still have a nationally televised game on Fox or FS1 on Sunday, at whatever time. Games played in the Eastern time zone wouldnt be scheduled at 9 and games in the Pacific time zone wouldnt be scheduled at 3.

• Like 7

Signature intentionally left blank

9 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/mls-vs-arsenal-2023-mls-all-star-game-set-for-july-in-dc

MLS All-Stars will play Arsenal this year in Washinton D.C. I wassurprised that the newer MLS stadiums weren't getting this game, but then I realized they hadn't played there yet. I'm guessing we'll get some version of a dark uniform, instead of something city specific.  

Manchester United will also be coming to the United States, but haven't announced their locations yet. 

safe to say we’ll get Olympic-runup-levels of saturation on Matt Turner profile pieces between now and then?

12 hours ago, Digby said:

safe to say we’ll get Olympic-runup-levels of saturation on Matt Turner profile pieces between now and then?

Yep. And then he'll play the second half of the match. 

19 hours ago, Dilbert said:

I think if MLS and Apple did scheduling similar to the NFL it might be better. Make it an all day event. Have an afternoon slot (say 3 PM eastern), followed by 5 PM slot, 7PM slot, and 9PM slot.)  You can still have a nationally televised game on Fox or FS1 on Sunday, at whatever time. Games played in the Eastern time zone wouldnt be scheduled at 9 and games in the Pacific time zone wouldnt be scheduled at 3.

I think they thought fighting against March Madness wasn't going to help them last week so they bit the bullet. With national team callups I can understand playing all games on Saturday, but break the game starts up a bit more. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think they thought fighting against March Madness wasn't going to help them last week so they bit the bullet. With national team callups I can understand playing all games on Saturday, but break the game starts up a bit more. 

I realize I'm writing from the perspective of someone who has no intention of going out on a Saturday night, but there's something to be said for the consistency of the schedule as it is now. I like knowing that my team will be on every weekend at one of same three or four time slots. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Digby said:

Real chance to get Ligue 1’s third leading scorer to commit to the USMNT and an interim coach is in charge of the recruitment. Useless federation.

We did that with the last interim coach too. Get them in now so we aren't fighting off competition later 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

FC Cincinnati is now unbeaten on the road in 9 games, dating back to July of last season (not counting playoffs), Getting a win on the road in Nashville is huge. Nashville and their supporters were talking all week how Nashville and Cincinnati is a rivalry and talked a lot of smack. Cincinnati supporters talked but not as much and to the level Nashville took it. There is the saying "Talk s***, get hit". Nashville got hit.

Cincinnati now sits one point out of first in the Eastern Conference and is the lone remaining unbeaten in the East. We've come a long way from the first three seasons.

Signature intentionally left blank

The greatest soccer team of our times -- St Louis CITY FC -- is up 3-0 at 68' and seems to be poised to start the season 5-0-0.

Good heavens.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags