Half Hour Mountain West Rebrand

raysox

This kind of blew up on twitter but check this out

Mounatin-West-01.png
Mounatin-West-02.png

Obviously my thinking was making an MW in the shape of a mountain. Inspired by the Big XII's bold look with easy variation for team colors. The M definitely fits better to the shape, but I played around with making it as symmetrical as I could without compromising either letter.

Would love to hear thoughts!

• Like 18
  • Love 5
  • Applause 2

Hey you remembered San Jose State this time!  Jokes aside it looks good, if not a tad simple (which, yknow, half hour and everything).  I'd echo @MJWalker45 and see if you can get some fun text stuff going that echoes the old logo if you wanna turn this into a full polished concept.  It's still a good look if you leave it as is though!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

5 hours ago, raysox said:

This kind of blew up on twitter but check this out

Mounatin-West-01.png
Mounatin-West-02.png

Obviously my thinking was making an MW in the shape of a mountain. Inspired by the Big XII's bold look with easy variation for team colors. The M definitely fits better to the shape, but I played around with making it as symmetrical as I could without compromising either letter.

Would love to hear thoughts!

A very nice start, but I think making it so symmetrical is hurting it. I think using the mountains of the old logo as a basis for the new shape would help. The extra peak on the right side is perfect for the middle of the W.

spacer.png

19 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

30 minutes hot damn 😳

19 hours ago, Silence of the Rams said:

If this was actually done in a half hour then I need to step my game up. 

Hey, 30 minutes was mostly due to having no development process, just opening Illustrator with an idea and hardly experimenting. Don't let the time dissuade  you!

16 hours ago, Spunky Brewster said:

Only feedback I might have would be to maybe extend the bottom and make it more of a diamond shape? It's a bit too horizontal at the moment, thinking about it as a jersey patch I think it might look better with a bit more height. Otherwise it really looks great

@dsaline97 was so kind to photoshop it on a jersey. I'll try the diamond in some revisions but i think having no wasted space makes it stronger
Screen-Shot-2022-12-10-at-12-56-19-PM.pn

16 hours ago, burgundy said:

A very nice start, but I think making it so symmetrical is hurting it. I think using the mountains of the old logo as a basis for the new shape would help. The extra peak on the right side is perfect for the middle of the W.

You know, that's interesting. I never noticed that the mountains on the original logo were uneven, or even MW shaped. I think the mountains on that logo are the only redeeming quality of the logo (Civic Bold and Copperplate all in one place!) I'm unsure about how it'll look, but the W has bothered me in the version I posted. Gonna play around with the idea today.

• Like 5
  • WOAH 1

First off, you’re a freakin’ pro. 30 minutes or not, you always churn out quality work. Death, taxes, and raysox! 

The only feedback I have is the logo might be a little too wide, and looks a little stretched out on the uniform. I think the width could be brought in a little bit and would help the logo look a little more substantial on the uniform. Other than that, I love the idea and love the color distribution. It’s absolutely better than the Doctor Who logo and a vast improvement. Well done, man!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I think I agree with you about the W. The logo overall is solid, but that right triangle on the end of the W is kinda making my brain fight against seeing it as a W. Definitely excited to see what ideas you have to adjust that

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

I'm back! I did start to do more exploration Friday, and here's what some of the stuff I came up looked like. I think D is the only one that may have legs, it makes the vertical line on the W stand out less, and gives a little bit of perspective on the letters. It does kind of give me Mountain Dew vibes though

Mounatin-West-03.png

Here is my take on @burgundy's suggestion to be asymmetrical. I studied the old logo and think they may have tried to hide a MW in a four peak range. I think this is SUPER interesting, but may be too abstract for it's own good. But I felt good enough to try it in team colors.

Mounatin-West-MW-v2.png
Mounatin-West-MW-v2-Colors.png

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, raysox said:

Here is my take on @burgundy's suggestion to be asymmetrical. I studied the old logo and think they may have tried to hide a MW in a four peak range. I think this is SUPER interesting, but may be too abstract for it's own good. But I felt good enough to try it in team colors.

Mounatin-West-04.png

I think there is definitely a W to be found in the shadows on the right. Maybe it would be more recognizable with fewer zags in the mountains? And maybe have the lit peaks on the right touch the outline?

spacer.png

23 hours ago, raysox said:

I'm back! I did start to do more exploration Friday, and here's what some of the stuff I came up looked like. I think D is the only one that may have legs, it makes the vertical line on the W stand out less, and gives a little bit of perspective on the letters. It does kind of give me Mountain Dew vibes though

Mounatin-West-03.png

Mounatin-West-MW-v2.png
Mounatin-West-MW-v2-Colors.png

All of this has been wonderful. Much better than the Doctor Who a**-looking logo you called it. Personally, I like the current iteration, both in logo and with the wordmark under it. I do think, like others have said, there could be a W somewhere in the negative space on the right side. 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png