NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

1 hour ago, Mr. Krabs said:

https://www.nbcsportschicago.com/nfl/chicago-bears/bears-news/chicago-bears-seemingly-change-primary-logo-to-the-bear-relegate-the-traditional-c/500431/

I must say this is a head scratcher from the Bears. The Wishbone "C" is legendary and historic. Why demote it?

I love the bear logo.  Born in ‘83, they were my first favorite team 100% because of that bear.   I had sweatpants with that bear head on it.

Then I watched Joe Montana lead “The Drive” in January it ‘89 and that was it.  I was a Niners fan for the next 4 years until he was traded to KC, where my fandom has been ever since.

But damn it if it doesn’t make me feel good seeing this bad boy back:

a-detail-view-of-the-chicago-bears-logo-

• Like 3
  • Love 3

10 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I love the bear logo.  Born in ‘83, they were my first favorite team 100% because of that bear.   I had sweatpants with that bear head on it.

Then I watched Joe Montana lead “The Drive” in January it ‘89 and that was it.  I was a Niners fan for the next 4 years until he was traded to KC, where my fandom has been ever since.

But damn it if it doesn’t make me feel good seeing this bad boy back:

a-detail-view-of-the-chicago-bears-logo-

The Bear Head logo is old but it went through a lot of changes.

I had toque as a kid that was similar to that much rougher. Very similar to this:

m_61a7ac6693649f8c4331ee37.jpg

Lot's of merchandise with this logo:

s-l1600.jpg

Then in either the late 80's or early 90's, they made a much more modernized, monocolor version:

image_cf3f9263-13f3-48fb-8696-4f5b487634

Which then appeared on the 75th Anniversay logo:

355.gif

I don't know when exactly it happened but by 2001, the team was using a cleaned up version of the original bear head logo and that's what was designated as the "Primary."

yevs2euyeskxbp9ehtvx

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

The bear logo is solid. It'll be interesting to see if it's used/how it looks on scorebugs this season. 

As far as the wishbone C, it's a classic logo, but the fact it's asymmetrical has always bothered me. It looks like the C has a massive underbite, for lack of a better way to describe it. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

1 minute ago, ~Bear said:

The bear logo is solid. It'll be interesting to see if it's used/how it looks on scorebugs this season. 

As far as the wishbone C, it's a classic logo, but the fact it's asymmetrical has always bothered me. It looks like the C has a massive underbite, for lack of a better way to describe it. 

“The Chicago Bears have such a great logo!”

Also the Bears logo-

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 7

I wish the Bears would introduce a decent cleaned up Bear head rather than a digitized tracing of a copy of a copy of a drawing from before digital media even existed. It has that frazzled, odd-shaped aspect that shows up on so many older logos adapted for the modern era. The Ditka Bear certain isn’t an improvement. I can never figure out what is happening there with the weird blob of shadow on the right and lord knows what on the left.

Surely they could modernize the older bear and still invoke all of its elements without it looking so jagged? (And don’t call me Shirley)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Renderings of throwback designs on the modern day Axiom

F3BiNFHbIAEhc7y?format=jpg&name=large
F3BiNFNbEAEM6Ea?format=jpg&name=large

I feel like we’re about to see the pendulum swing back to a very simple shell design in the coming years.  These are so overdesigned and I’m not convinced it’s all for safety.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, ~Bear said:

I never noticed that, but now won’t be able to un-see it.

Forty plus years ago, when I first became an NFL fan as a kid, there were three helmet logos that I thought, even in my then nine-year-old mind, were overdue for a modernization. The first was Cincinnati's "Bengals" helmet; the second was the Patriots (I also wondered why their dark uniform was red and not blue); and the third was the Bears, who clearly needed to stop stealing their helmet logo from the Cincinnati Reds.

Funny how one of those still hasn't changed after all this time.

(BTW, nine-year-old me also wondered why the Browns had no logo; but that also bothered me a whole lot less).

4 minutes ago, jws008 said:

Forty plus years ago, when I first became an NFL fan as a kid, there were three helmet logos that I thought, even in my then nine-year-old mind, were overdue for a modernization. The first was Cincinnati's "Bengals" helmet; the second was the Patriots (I also wondered why their dark uniform was red and not blue); and the third was the Bears, who clearly needed to stop stealing their helmet logo from the Cincinnati Reds.

Funny how one of those still hasn't changed after all this time.

(BTW, nine-year-old me also wondered why the Browns had no logo; but that also bothered me a whole lot less).

If you were older, or saw older still baseball cards, you could have said it came from the Cleveland Indians or the Chicago Cubs, each of who used that logo in the past.

It's where I sit.

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

If you were older, or saw older still baseball cards, you could have said it came from the Cleveland Indians or the Chicago Cubs, each of who used that logo in the past.

Oh, I was aware of the Indians and Cubs use of the wishbone C, well before age nine.

See, when I was four and five, we lived with my maternal grandmother (in the house my mother grew up in) while my dad went back to school for his four-year degree. My grandmother was a lifelong baseball fan, and I really developed my love of sports from her -- first baseball, then hockey, and basketball. The one sport she wasn't super-passionate about was football, which is why I don't believe I'd even watched a complete NFL game on TV until about 1978 or 1979 (Dad got me into football at that time, partially, I think, as a makeup for how busy he had been when he returned to school). 

So, why do I (to this day) always associate the wishbone C with the Reds? Some of it is simply because they were the dominant National League team in the late 1970s (Grandma was an NL baseball fan, a definition I always have to explain to modern MLB fans). In my mind, that logo, no matter the colors used, screams out, "Big Red Machine"!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

20 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

My favorite nugget is that during the late 1940's, early 1950's George Halas (Bears founder) owned a sporting goods company headquartered down the street from Wrigley Field that produced the jerseys for the Bears AND the Cubs.

I will never not believe the iconic Bears rounded numbers (the only non-block numbers worn in the NFL for 40 years) were not based in some part on the rounded numbers the Cubs introduced in the 1930's, that Halas' company stitched onto jerseys in the 40's and 50's and an evolved version of which the Cubs continue to wear to this day.

• Like 5