NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

9 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Having all three major elements (helmet, jersey, pants) a different color, without one of the being white, is a terrible idea in football.  There are very few "rules" of uniforms I would consider an absolute, but this might be one of them.

spacer.png

Ghastly.

Have there been many other examples of this in the  NFL? I can only think of a few off the top of my head:

91242145.jpg.jpg

FC95FKpUYAI7ou3.jpg

USATSI_14992070_168392742_lowres.jpg?w=9

129357520.0.jpg

(plus other Packers throwbacks)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gobbi said:

Have there been many other examples of this in the  NFL? I can only think of a few off the top of my head:

91242145.jpg.jpg

FC95FKpUYAI7ou3.jpg

USATSI_14992070_168392742_lowres.jpg?w=9

129357520.0.jpg

(plus other Packers throwbacks)

Depending on the angle there was also this one. 

https-3A-2F-2Fstripehype-com-2Fwp-conten

Really it comes down to there not being that many three color teams to start with.

Often the third color is relegated to an accent or neutral backdrop. Also I will take this combo over the 80's retro uniforms any day.

44XZ7AT72FCUDNSB4XNG2G5VW4.jpg

• Like 4
  • Dislike 2

I know the 80's look has it fans but the 50's/60's retro design has always had a soft spot in my heart.

Dvq9XKVXQAUHWHU.jpg

merlin-to-scoop-127161950-975127-superJu

I remember watching old early color film of the 1963 NFL championship game when I was a kid and thinking, "Wow, the Giants used to have really cool uniforms!"

So as an adult when they came back, it was really exciting.

• Like 8
  • Yawn 1

Team is associated with a color, jersey and socks are not that color. Sounds like a branding failure to me. I'm sure Mister Mara liked them, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

Team is associated with a color, jersey and socks are not that color. Sounds like a branding failure to me. I'm sure Mister Mara liked them, though.

The defining moment of the last three decades of the franchise. Red accented jersey, red socks.

79499274_original.jpg?1300480778

So associated with the brand that it was worn at home as throwback when they'd already replaced the pants two years ago.

1347165959.0.jpg

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The defining moment of the last three decades of the franchise. Red accented jersey, red socks.

Yeah, I know, it's a real shame. It's not "Cavaliers win their first title in Under Armour t-shirts" bad, but it's still, all things considered, kinda bad. Those jerseys need blue.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

15 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

79499274_original.jpg?1300480778

So associated with the brand that it was worn at home as throwback when they'd already replaced the pants two years ago.

1347165959.0.jpg

I don't love it, but at least the Giants road jerseys kind of work with the traditional grey pants. The current road look with white pants is devoid of blue below the helmet and does not work.

spacer.png

• Like 6

The lack of stripes on the home set also sours the Giants' set for me. I can live with different dominant colors on the home and away if it can be done tastefully, but having two completely separate home and away designs always looks worse than being... well, uniform.  This is also partially why the Rams and Commanders have two of the league's worst sets, though there are plenty of other problems with those two.

A simple striping pattern on both jerseys and gray pants throughout would work wonders. It doesn't take much detailing to get the color balance right without sacrificing the blue home / red away look or straying too far from what the Giants wore during their Super Bowl runs.

lJZJHJS.png

(ignore the logo, i was fiddling around with a modernized 70's concept)

• Like 10
  • Love 1

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Not for nothing, but since these examples never get shown nor talked about, probably worth showing the late '60s into '70s Giants road sets:

FQEcZ-UXwAcSCJ3.jpg

fran-tarkenton-of-the-new-york-giants-dr

(Homer Jones and Fran Tarkenton, respectively.)

Why these never seem to get as much if any love is beyond me...

• Like 12
  • Love 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

3 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Not for nothing, but since these examples never get shown nor talked about, probably worth showing the late '60s into '70s Giants road sets:

FQEcZ-UXwAcSCJ3.jpg

fran-tarkenton-of-the-new-york-giants-dr

(Homer Jones and Fran Tarkenton, respectively.)

Why these never seem to get as much if any love is beyond me...

If the Giants were to switch to blue dominant road uniform, this is the route I'd like them to take.

If they can't go with the early 60's style they wore in the 2000's and 2010's, this is the next best thing.