College Football 2023

Rixaroo

On 5/17/2023 at 5:54 PM, mattb6 said:

I’m nearly certain it will be a Vapor Pro template from the Nike Team catalog with custom numbers and logos/wordmarks. 

I think the “Shard Stripe” template would fit with UC’s identity, but could see them using the Virginia template with stripes done in the colors of the current Lindner Center triangle stripe. I could also see a completely blank template with contrasting collars/cuffs and custom numbers on the sleeves.

I have a much better idea of how the basketball team will be dressed next season based on the available templates and the designs we’ve seen for teams of a similar stature and doing a similar Nike/Jordan split like San Diego State and Houston (and will post my theory in the College Basketball thread)

Why would you think it would be the Vapor Pro instead of the Vapor F.U.S.E.?

11 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Why would you think it would be the Vapor Pro instead of the Vapor F.U.S.E.?

That’s an oversight on my part. I would bet it’s a FUSE template. They actually did USC-style stripes in the mid-aughts when Brent Celek was around, so that template could be a possibility. I think fans would be happy with it. 

• Like 2

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Perfect chance to make Citronauts primary and they didn't do it 😭

Because they're not the Citronauts??? 

Yeah, it was an older identity but changing the tradition of a mascot the university has had for over 50 years to something quirky that was used for less than 10 years is a bit extreme.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Because they're not the Citronauts??? 

Yeah, it was an older identity but changing the tradition of a mascot the university has had for over 50 years to something quirky that was used for less than 10 years is a bit extreme.

Knights might be one of the most generic team names out there. The people just want something that makes them unique from the million other HS and colleges that share the knights moniker

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, BigDmo said:

Knights might be one of the most generic team names out there. The people just want something that makes them unique from the million other HS and colleges that share the knights moniker

And to stop looking like a copy of Army.

spacer.png

Last updated 5/23

55 minutes ago, JustABallCoach said:

I don’t think it will be FUSE because Cincinnati is going through BSN and not Nike direct. Nike cut off team dealer capacity for FUSE in December.

Ua7rWRH.png

wTNx02l.png

They have these available through BSN, so maybe they turned it back on? I'd still expect something basic for at least 2023 until they have time to put out a full uniform layout with the proper accents. 

Nktil95.png

But if it's not available for a full team layout, going one year with something like this won't be the worst thing. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ua7rWRH.png

wTNx02l.png

They have these available through BSN, so maybe they turned it back on? I'd still expect something basic for at least 2023 until they have time to put out a full uniform layout with the proper accents. 

Nktil95.png

But if it's not available for a full team layout, going one year with something like this won't be the worst thing. 

Alpha Pro Stock has the FUSE collar, but is not the FUSE, it’s also just the stock jersey which I’d be surprised if they used. 

It’s possible they will have some inventory that’s not public, but that catalog is not reflective of what’s available live necessarily. The FUSE has been off the Nike Team site since December when they announced they were out of capacity for it. But Cincinnati might be a special case. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JustABallCoach said:

I don’t think it will be FUSE because Cincinnati is going through BSN and not Nike direct. Nike cut off team dealer capacity for FUSE in December.

I heard.  It'd be really embarrassing for Cincinnati to not be in that template, or at least the Vapor Untouchable, but either would have to come from Nike stepping in and making that happen.  With the deal being announced so late, I'd be shocked if they can pull that off though, unless this was unofficially agreed upon months & months ago and the orders were already placed.  I could probably find out.

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Ua7rWRH.png

wTNx02l.png

Nktil95.png

I'd be sad for the Bearcats, trotting out there in a stock high school uniform.  

Wouldn't surprise me if this was the option presented to them, though, knowing BSN.

On 5/24/2023 at 12:39 PM, BigDmo said:

It was the perfect time to rebrand, and it makes much more sense than Knights does in regards to the current state of space exploration and the academic identity of the university and its relation to that industry locally.   "Space U" is a very cool nickname and identity to embrace.

On top of that, the whole medieval gimmick with Black, Grey, and Metallic Gold Knights do not feel like Florida at all.  Maybe if the university was in Saint Augustine, it would almost make sense, but not Orlando or really anywhere in FL.  Switching from the Metallic Gold to the Citronaut Blue would've electrified the brand, no pun intended, and introduced a really unique & identifiable brand into collegiate sports:

2020-Space-Game-UCF.png?ssl=1Screen+Shot+2020-01-22+at+10.58.54+AM.pn

997ebe6e-90e4-45bb-b727-544be03ee14f_204

IMG_9756.jpg

I still hope it happens eventually. 

I'm on the other side of town, but is anyone here an alum and/or connected to UCF?  Have there been any serious discussions or efforts to make a change to Citronauts?

• Like 7
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

It was the perfect time to rebrand, and it makes much more sense than Knights does in regards to the current state of space exploration and the academic identity of the university and its relation to that industry locally.   "Space U" is a very cool nickname and identity to embrace.

On top of that, the whole medieval gimmick with Black, Grey, and Metallic Gold Knights do not feel like Florida at all.  Maybe if the university was in Saint Augustine, it would almost make sense, but not Orlando or really anywhere in FL.  Switching from the Metallic Gold to the Citronaut Blue would've electrified the brand, no pun intended, and introduced a really unique & identifiable brand into collegiate sports:

2020-Space-Game-UCF.png?ssl=1Screen+Shot+2020-01-22+at+10.58.54+AM.pn

997ebe6e-90e4-45bb-b727-544be03ee14f_204

IMG_9756.jpg

I still hope it happens eventually. 

I'm on the other side of town, but is anyone here an alum and/or connected to UCF?  Have there been any serious discussions or efforts to make a change to Citronauts?

From the outside, I feel like UCF views the Citronauts identity in the same way minor league baseball teams view their Copa Diversion identities. They use them to sell more merchandise and create engagement over the idea of changing the name even if they don't want to fully commit to the change.  In San Antonio, fans latched onto the Flying Chanclas branding, but they would probably riot if that completely replaced the Missions name.  I don't think that would happen with UCF fans, but alumni and leadership would not be happy with it. 

• Like 7

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

From the outside, I feel like UCF views the Citronauts identity in the same way minor league baseball teams view their Copa Diversion identities. They use them to sell more merchandise and create engagement over the idea of changing the name even if they don't want to fully commit to the change.  In San Antonio, fans latched onto the Flying Chanclas branding, but they would probably riot if that completely replaced the Missions name.  I don't think that would happen with UCF fans, but alumni and leadership would not be happy with it. 

Being a current student at UCF, I'd agree with this. The school is so large that the majority of the student population either aren't into sports and treat it more as an excuse to party and have fun (if you go back to their 2017-18 run the student section would be empty by halftime of primetime games so they could go party) or these kids have grown up fans of the "Big 3" and view UCF as a casual fandom because they go there. They are still trying to grow their fanbase I feel like and are making a lot of headway in that area, but I don't think changing their mascot would really help them in any way. They have a younger subsection of alumni who have become diehard fans (mainly millennials who make up their "twitter mafia") who would hook on to the change, or really any thing that the school does as seen by their recent donation campaigns. However, a lot of their "older" alumni probably aren't too keen on a mascot change. For example, a buddy of mine asked his dad, a UCF alum, if he wanted to go to the spring game and his response was "Why? So I can watch them scrimmage and wear those silly little space jerseys?". 

Long story short; UCF is trying very hard to be seen on par with the other major brands in the state and Citronauts does not evoke a strong sense of tradition like Knights does, despite it's generic feel. Maybe once they are able to establish credibility on the state and national stage they would look to go to citronauts full time, but they're still seen as that annoying directional school that claims fake championships and  plays astronaut dress up every year by non fans in the area. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I badly want this too!!!

I only want them as a Tuesday night type deal, not permanently. They do use it full time for a college wood bat league though.

https://www.kens5.com/article/sports/flying-chanclas-saturday-june-26-gamer/273-95bf9eaa-1305-48df-8017-4eceb5bb85d5

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, kb105 said:

Long story short; UCF is trying very hard to be seen on par with the other major brands in the state and Citronauts does not evoke a strong sense of tradition like Knights does, despite it's generic feel. Maybe once they are able to establish credibility on the state and national stage they would look to go to citronauts full time, but they're still seen as that annoying directional school that claims fake championships and  plays astronaut dress up every year by non fans in the area. 

Their Championship is just as legitimate as many of the ones still claimed by Alabama, as well as many other schools. If anything, claiming that title is points in favor of them being up there with the major brands.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

Their Championship is just as legitimate as many of the ones still claimed by Alabama, as well as many other schools. If anything, claiming that title is points in favor of them being up there with the major brands.

Especially since they're a Big XII team now, they'll be claiming it as one of theirs. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png