2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

4 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I read it as the classic reds will definitely be back in 25. The only question seems to be whether it's as an alternate again or as the primary. And if the whites will join them.

That would be a shame since the current reds are better.

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

I mean, if that's your opinion I respect it, but I completely disagree.

Getting rid of the italicized font and the silver were both additions by subtraction.

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 8

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

15 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Getting rid of the italicized font and the silver were both additions by subtraction.

I can see not liking the italicized font...  But what does getting rid of silver accomplish besides making them look like every other red, black and white team?

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

15 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Heavily disagree on both accounts; the italicized font is a unique thing for the Canes now, and was a fun bit of flair for the Canes that made their jerseys feel even more distinct, it was a bad decision to move away from it in the first place.

And the silver was a good way to help distinguish the Canes' color palette from the Hawks, Sens and Devils, who all also use red and black as their main colors. Plus, well...there is a certain association with both italicized font and silver in the Canes' history;

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Applause 2

On 10/20/2023 at 11:14 AM, Morgan33 said:

I can see not liking the italicized font...  But what does getting rid of silver accomplish besides making them look like every other red, black and white team?

Honestly, with how little silver there was on the jerseys, it was superfluous.

• Huh? 1

I don’t consider the silver they used then to be little at all. The stripes on the sleeves and torso were fairly substantial and a bit more than mere trim, and the logo had a silver outline too. It’s hard for me to look at the usage and consider it too superfluous. 

spacer.png

• Like 7

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It's more apparent up close. It blended in with the white from a distance and/or in motion. 

Also consider that it was absent from names and numbers, which were just red/black/white. Combine those two, and you can see how people would write off the silver as being just kind of wedged in there and not a true part of the color scheme, making them Another Red/Black Team. Compare with (don't get mad) the 1992-97 Whalers, where silver was more prominent than green (this was by design, some marketing brain genius thought they'd sell more Whalers merch in New England by trying to look like the Dallas Cowboys). 

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 minutes ago, JohnnyCowboy5 said:

This Grant Fuhr tribute setup by Stuart Skinner for the Heritage Classic is unreal

F9JqdlRXAAA4-EJ.png?ex=654956b3&is=6536e1b3&hm=70d89a43ecd7d8fe8a6cde31a7b5ef988b594f6f5aada6489a262fd0d7a446d4&=&width=378&height=473

F9JqdlQXAAARcqq.png?ex=654956b4&is=6536e1b4&hm=aaa0c34e0ce5f0de9bb7ca0df2204785f51adcbafa7456230ddc8b027a4163ca&

Yeah, I love when goalies nowadays use pad designs that are just bold blocks of color like 80s-90s designs

On 10/22/2023 at 4:22 AM, FinsUp1214 said:

I don’t consider the silver they used then to be little at all. The stripes on the sleeves and torso were fairly substantial and a bit more than mere trim, and the logo had a silver outline too. It’s hard for me to look at the usage and consider it too superfluous. 

It doesn't substantially alter the design if you drop the silver stripes, especially since there was even less silver on the white jersey,

Ughhhh. Their Reverse "Retro" was a "throwback" to their current road whites, which are in no way classic or anything that deserves a special homage. That whole brand and its stewards bother me. Yeah, looking more like the Blackhawks and Devils than you already do is a great idea, ya idiots. 

On 10/19/2023 at 10:50 AM, spartacat_12 said:

The 2007 All Star Game was the debut of the Edge uniforms. You can see what they were hoping to do based on how the side panels matched up with the pants.

spacer.png

Someone really wanted these guys to look like some future "Rollerball" skating Megaman armored superheroes. The league wanted the guys in tight fitting jerseys for some reason. I remember going to the 2007 draft where they introduced the Blue Jackets new EDGE uniforms. They poured Jody Shelley and Dan Fritsche into those jerseys. Then the season came and every guy just wore the jerseys a few sizes bigger and then the jerseys started getting more tailored to a traditional hockey sweater cut. Still looks weird to look at those games and see those tight sleeves. 

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png