2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

11 minutes ago, Stroboy said:

Calgary will be wearing black as it is one of their previously scheduled Blasty games. Carolina would have known that before departing on the road so maybe they just decided to go white for white’s sake on this trip?

The decision makes about as much sense as any of their other uniform decisions. So, none.

17 minutes ago, ruttep said:

The decision makes about as much sense as any of their other uniform decisions. So, none.

I mean, it's a helmet. At the end of the day, this isn't football where helmet design is extremely integral to a team's overall appearance and can make or break a uniform design if done wrong; NHL teams just have a solid color helmet without any real details besides logos and numbers, and the vast majority of a uniform's cohesiveness rests on the jersey, pants, gloves and socks.

Nobody complained about Columbus experimenting with blue pants "not making any sense", after all, and that was arguably just as pointless a change as Carolina's helmet before they went and made it the full-time look.

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 hours ago, Stroboy said:

Calgary will be wearing black as it is one of their previously scheduled Blasty games. Carolina would have known that before departing on the road so maybe they just decided to go white for white’s sake on this trip?

Carolina plays Detroit at the end of their road trip.  That's the reason.  Unless, they came to their senses and realized how dumb the red helmet looks with the white jerseys.  Probably not, though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Patchey13 said:

Canucks teasing chrome helmets 🤮

Yeah colored helmets on the road are bad, this is 1000x worse. At least metallic gold is part of Vegas' color scheme and metallic silver is part of the Kings' color scheme. I'd have to think these are going to be paired with the Skate alt. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Yeah colored helmets on the road are bad, this is 1000x worse. At least metallic gold is part of Vegas' color scheme and metallic silver is part of the Kings' color scheme. I'd have to think these are going to be paired with the Skate alt. 

Doubtful, you'd think the background would be a black-yellow gradient in that case like how they always market that jersey, not a dark-light blue gradient that clearly brings to mind their primary look. Especially since this was likely being done around the same time as the matte helmets for that Skate alt.

It's probably just a chrome blue helmet to copy Vegas and LA's chrome buckets, because we all know how much the Canucks love trend-chasing when it comes to their brand history.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

Doubtful, you'd think the background would be a black-yellow gradient in that case like how they always market that jersey, not a dark-light blue gradient that clearly brings to mind their primary look. Especially since this was likely being done around the same time as the matte helmets for that Skate alt.

It's probably just a chrome blue helmet to copy Vegas and LA's chrome buckets, because we all know how much the Canucks love trend-chasing when it comes to their brand history.

The Canucks finally figured out their primary uniforms in 2019-20 when they removed the "Vancouver" text above the orca logo. 

Then they removed the pants stripes.

Then they decide to wear chrome helmets with them. 

I don't even know what to say. What a mess.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Navy blue? Are they planning on bringing these back or something?

spacer.png

I mean, I wouldn't mind that at all, either. They've done enough Skate throwback thirds as of late that deciding to finally throw back to something that's not the Skate would probably sell pretty well at this point.

Their only alternate in recent memory since the end of the Reebok days to not be Skate-themed was the blue one with no white and the SiR on the front. A WCE-era throwback would be a welcomed change of pace.

51 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Navy blue? Are they planning on bringing these back or something?

spacer.png

Good gawd, no. In fact, the Orca Bay uniforms were a dark navy blue, like the Seattle Kraken's.

Remember those beautiful Johnny Canuck Reverse Retros from last season? That was a pure and vibrant navy blue. Like the Dallas Cowboys' shade. That's the navy blue I was referring to.

Just now, VancouverFan69 said:

Remember those beautiful Johnny Canuck Reverse Retros from last season? That was a pure and vibrant navy blue. Like the Dallas Cowboys' shade. That's the navy blue I was referring to.

It's literally the exact same Pantone shade for both, though; 296 C. In fact, the Canucks still use that same color in their primary logo right now.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

It's literally the exact same Pantone shade for both, though; 296 C. In fact, the Canucks still use that same color in their primary logo right now.

It really depends on the accent colors. The dark red and silver make the navy seem darker, while green and off-white give off a more vibrant feel. It probably also has to do with the fact that a lot of the years that the Canucks had those navy/red orca uniforms were considered "dark ages," while navy/green is a lot closer to the team's correct color scheme of royal/green.

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

It really depends on the accent colors. The dark red and silver make the navy seem darker, while green and off-white give off a more vibrant feel. It probably also has to do with the fact that a lot of the years that the Canucks had those navy/red orca uniforms were considered "dark ages," while navy/green is a lot closer to the team's correct color scheme of royal/green.

Actually, the Orca Bay navy blue was indeed a dark navy/midnight blue....like the Seattle Kraken and Chicago Bears.

The navy Johnny Canuck Reverse Retro was a vibrant navy like the 2000's  Edmonton Oilers and the Dallas Cowboys. 

I have both a #19 Naslund Orca jersey and two JC RR jerseys. The difference is definitely there regardless of the overall colour schemes.

I know for a fact that the Canucks used a darker shade of navy (midnight navy) than other teams in their late 90s-pre Edge years for at least the helmets, but as far as actual jersey fabric, can any Canucks fan with a jersey collection weigh in on the matter? The current logo also uses that same shade of dark navy according to Icethetics but again, maybe it's only in digital form. Maybe if you put it next to a Jets or Blue Jackets jersey it's the same navy? I don't think jersey manufacturers have 4-5 different shades to navy to choose from

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Oh, those terrible Canucks uniforms. Let's never see those again. 

Now that NHLuniforms.com works again, I can really "appreciate" how 2002-03 was one of the ugliest seasons any league ever had. 

It's funny that you'd mention that since 2003-04 is (IMO) one of the best-looking seasons the league has ever had.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)