2023 - 2024 NBA changes

DJT

On 10/26/2023 at 9:25 AM, TheBigFiz21 said:

I got a bad feeling the empty half of the baseline was ruined by having Michelob Ultra slap their logo over there during the Finals. Now it looks like their court-side sponsorship is gonna be there for all nationally televised games. Not sure how it would work for a team like the Grizzlies, who have the team name running from end-to-end though.

Edit: oh...this really is a thing now. No doubt about it. MU was on the courts of Milwaukee and the Lakers on Thursday night. I swear, we can't have nice things because ads need to be everywhere, even when it comes to these games on ESPN/ABC and TNT.

Its been a problem ever since the 2021 season but watching the Lakers home game vs the Suns felt awful because there was zero space on the screen that I could rest my eyes on that didnt have any obstructive ads on the court, virtually projected and in arena.

But LockerVision doesn't seem to suggest any new jerseys for the In-Season Tournament (check Fridays in November starting with the 10th). Though it does suggest that, during the tournament, all the home teams will wear their City jerseys.

It's possible that LockerVision is throwing us off the scent, though the away teams for these games are mostly wearing light jerseys too, so I don't see that as likely. Also possible that any special Tournament jerseys will only be used for the quarterfinals or Vegas games, but can't imagine the wasted inventory that would be needed for that to happen.

… feel like the most probable thing is that the teaser graphic is just gonna tease the rest of the Citys being unveiled leaguewide, even if the colors don't line up with all the jersey base colors.

Earlier in the thread this article was posted about the future of the Jazz uniforms, but Ryan Smith let slip a little about the In-Season Tournament uniforms:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2023/10/25/purple-or-black-utah-jazz-owner/

“….but we have six jerseys this year, especially with the in-season tournament,” he said. “We’re going to have that many jerseys next year. There’s always going to be a jersey you don’t like, that’s just the business we’re in.…”

The Jazz uniforms we know of:

1. White

2. Black

3. Safety Vest/Hazard Yellow

4. Purple 1974 classic

5. Purple mountain city

6.????

If Smith is to be believed, there will another uniform coming, and sounds like it would be for the In-Season Tournament. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

13 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Earlier in the thread this article was posted about the future of the Jazz uniforms, but Ryan Smith let slip a little about the In-Season Tournament uniforms:

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2023/10/25/purple-or-black-utah-jazz-owner/

The Jazz uniforms we know of:

1. White

2. Black

3. Safety Vest/Hazard Yellow

4. Purple 1974 classic

5. Purple mountain city

6.????

If Smith is to be believed, there will another uniform coming, and sounds like it would be for the In-Season Tournament. 

Last night, after the Jazz game, the screens all around the arena and even the logos for the post game show  were a teal/light blue color that reminded me of the original Jazz mountain logo. 

• Like 1

Ladies and Gentlemen, In-Season tournament uniforms are indeed on the way tomorrow!

Attached is a video of Kevin Durant saying something along the lines of "never been done before". I have no idea what that means, but I'm assuming we are in for some pretty wild looks in one way or another.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

39 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Ladies and Gentlemen, In-Season tournament uniforms are indeed on the way tomorrow!

Attached is a video of Kevin Durant saying something along the lines of "never been done before". I have no idea what that means, but I'm assuming we are in for some pretty wild looks in one way or another.

"Never been done before." So... bodysuits?

17.jpg

Normally I would be excited about unveilings and stuff but this In Season Tournament stuff is just really annoying me. I'm sure I will like some of the stuff but it's just so... I don't know, the NBA is evolving in a way that I don't even really recognize anymore from the uniforms, the ads, to various other things. The evolution of Basketball is turning into some weird circus sideshow.

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Normally I would be excited about unveilings and stuff but this In Season Tournament stuff is just really annoying me. I'm sure I will like some of the stuff but it's just so... I don't know, the NBA is evolving in a way that I don't even really recognize anymore from the uniforms, the ads, to various other things. The evolution of Basketball is turning into some weird circus sideshow.

The NBA has had a weird culture about it since the early 2010s but the pandemic took it to a new level. I can't articulate it the way I want to at the moment, but I think it's something we've talked about here and there before.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The NBA has had a weird culture about it since the early 2010s but the pandemic took it to a new level. I can't articulate it the way I want to at the moment, but I think it's something we've talked about here and there before.

More than other leagues, I think they view themselves as being at the front of pop culture and entertainment. The larger-than-life stars, the widespread popularity in the USA and around the world of basketball, the trends of jerseys and shoes as being more of a streetwear/fashion item than just teamwear. Social media has certainly played a role in how prominent all this really is, but even more so, I think the NBA treats themselves like how WWE does: they primarily put out a sport-based product, but they also act as entertainment and innovation companies on the side. There is serious money to be made, which is why I think they can't stop themselves from releasing new looks every year. It reflects the trends-based nature of how the NBA operates. And I would even argue that is stretches even further back than the 2010s, maybe even to the 90s given the global popularity of Jordan and the Bulls at the time.

• Like 5

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

It does not go back to Jordan and the Bulls. Social media is too much a part of the NBA's current weirdness, as you said, and that wasn't there then. It wasn't there for the weird Jordan-LeBron interregnum and wasn't really even there for a lot of early LeBron, either. Up through the 2000s, the NBA was still broadly recognizable as a normal sports league. It's only fairly recently that it's become something else.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫