College Football 2023

MJWalker45

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I gotta admit my entire focus this whole weekend is trying to figure out what throws the most obstacles up in the way of Michigan.  

That's been me for the last two years but with Georgia (and now FSU).

I thought the funniest outcome would be Michigan winning the NC and having it vacated but honestly, this might be funnier.

• Like 1

IUe6Hvh.png

24 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Simply removing team names helps demonstrate my point. You cannot leave any of the three 13-0 teams out. The final slot should and will come down to the Big 12 or SEC champion.

Guys. It's ok to leave Alabama out. America will be ok.

If anything, it illustrates my point even more. An undefeated ACC champion is not automatically as strong as a 1-loss SEC or Big 12 champion. If that were Louisville or Duke, would you give them as much credit as Florida State or Clemson? I’m guessing not.

• Yawn 1

1 minute ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Right.  ACC champion. 

I don't know college football all that well and I know I always show that ignorance by expecting logical outcomes based on performance on the field.

Actual wins counting less than good losses is the craziest thing about the sport.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

FSU will only have a "legitimate" claim if they finish #1 in one of the recognized selector polls, iirc.  UFC was #1 in the Colley Matrix the year they claimed a national championship even though that poll has a history of being screwy.  But even the Colley Matrix doesn't have FSU above Alabama.

IUe6Hvh.png

Just now, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I don't know college football all that well and I know I always show that ignorance by expecting logical outcomes based on performance on the field.

Actual wins counting less than good losses is the craziest thing about the sport.

The selection committee went out of their way to make sure Alabama got in over FSU. Not only what you mentioned, putting good losses on the same level as actual wins. But to have a built in loophole which states "you may punish teams if a star player is injured". That is insaneeee that is actually in their criteria handbook.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

3 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Imagine if the NFL told the 2017 Eagles that since Carson Wentz was hurt they didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs and replaced them with the Cowboys

Pick a team other than the Cowboys and I would have been OK with it. 😎

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The problem is you have 128 teams, 13 games, and 4 playoff spots.  It's impossible to rank teams without rolling out hypotheticals with the biggest one being "would Florida State beat Alabama if they played tomorrow?" or even "would Florida State be undefeated if they played Alabama's schedule?" and the answer to both is a resounding no.

• Like 3

IUe6Hvh.png

1 minute ago, See Red said:

The problem is you have 128 teams, 13 games, and 4 playoff spots.  It's impossible to rank teams without rolling out hypotheticals with the biggest one being "would Florida State beat Alabama if they played tomorrow?" or even "would Florida State be undefeated if they played Alabama's schedule?" and the answer to both is a resounding no.

Boo hoo. How about win all your games. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

7 minutes ago, See Red said:

I understand totally what you're saying and to a sense I get it.

But the ultimate tiebreaker should always be wins. And the expanded playoff definitely helps this.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just now, Cujo said:

Had the committee guy just said "We really just wanted the Alabama brand in the playoff" I would've been fine with it. The honestly would've been refreshing.

Replace Alabama with the SEC and it's been obvious since day one of this thing.

BB52Big.jpg