2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

47 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

The problem is that Orange and White are too similar, tonally.   There’s not enough contrast.  They compete.  It just creates problems with Navy.

Their number font is dainty.  It’s dated. You’d never put it on a new uniform design.

So, the first thing I’d do is change the font to the 1-color block font they use on their most recent throwbacks.  White on the Navy jerseys, Navy on the White jerseys.

I’d drop the outline on the C logo altogether and move to a Satin finish on the helmet.   I’d add an Alt helmet:  Matte White shell, Navy facemask, single 1” Navy stripe, Orange 1-color C logo.  Maybe even make that the primary helmet.  Maybe consider using the Bear logo on it.

I’d retain the sleeve stripes & color pattern from the current White jersey and copy it to the Navy jersey in Orange/White/Orange.   I’d drop the GSH from the sleeves and just wear it as a left chest patch.   I’d consider adding small stars to the striping pattern on the set to tie into Chicago’s flag.

Pants might have a single stripe to match new Alt Matte White helmet.   Otherwise, might be plain White, Bear logo on front right hip opposite Swoosh (EDIT:  can’t do this, NFL Shield logo is there).  Navy pant would be optional and only worn with White jersey and would be plain, no striping (EDIT: same as Throwback pant).

Striped socks would mirror jersey sleeve stripes; a set of Navy with Orange/White/Orange stripes and a set of Whites with Navy/Orange/Navy stripes.

Agree / Disagree

I agree (assuming this is your position) that the Bears are the worst of the Classic Uni sets in the NFL (with Raiders, Colts, Browns being most superior)

• Dislike 1

fiowXOD.png

10 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Similar, but not identical.  Sleeve stripe pattern, specifically the spacing, is different.  

Overall, not a bad thing.

Basically what I’m calling for is taking the throwback uni and removing the stripes on the yoke, updating the helmet, and matching the sock stripes to each jersey.

For Bears fans already suffering thanks to that team it would be very, very bad.

You maybe get away with it by making the numbers orange like their 40's throwbacks. 

https-3A-2F-2Fbeargoggleson-com-2Fwp-con

Thing is, what you're describing is very common in football design today: minimalist sleeve design + custom block font. It describes the Jaguars and even the Jets.

I think if the uniform is missing anything, it's the sheen on the white and blue pants in the era of dazzle really was a cherry on top that's missed today.

devin-hester-qa.jpg

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1

12 minutes ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Agree / Disagree

I agree (assuming this is your position) that the Bears are the worst of the Classic Uni sets in the NFL (with Raiders, Colts, Browns being most superior)

To clarify, the issue I have with the Bears color scheme is the use of Orange/White next to each on Navy, not the trio itself.   Or, even worse, when Navy/White are on Orange.

On large details it can work fine:  as in their 3-color pant stripe. 

Where it suffers is when used in thin details, like their home sleeve stripes and their dainty number font…especially on the Orange jersey.  Again, just very hard on the eyes.

And yes, of the classics (have to throw the 49ers & Steelers in there as well), the Bears, in my opinion, have the weakest look of them.   It’s not bad, by any means, but it doesn’t have the most charm and the last 30 years or so of mostly losing doesn’t help.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Another Ravens Bengals matchup loaded with black

Honestly, what purpose do those black pants serve? They drag down the rest of the look every single time they're used, especially since they're only ever worn with black socks.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

Honestly, what purpose do those black pants serve? They drag down the rest of the look every single time they're used, especially since they're only ever worn with black socks.

I was going to comment on that earlier.  They should burn every pair of them.

Purple over White at home, White over Purple on the road and they’re good for as long as they keep this set.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Real question, how did the Bears even end up with that font in the 50s? Few other teams ever had custom fonts until the 90s.

I don't believe it was custom - it was in the catalog of the company from which Halas bought his uniforms.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

I personally would take this:

1351915065.0.jpg

over this:

usa_today_17442771.0.jpg

Contrast the socks (purple socks with black pants, black socks with purple pants) and these are both solid combos, I’d take either of them over the white pants.

I would add stripes to the black pants, though.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

41 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't believe it was custom - it was in the catalog of the company from which Halas bought his uniforms.

Halas owned the company he bought the uniforms from…

My theory has been that it was based on the Cubs. With whom the Bears shared Wrigley Field and for whom Halas also supplied jerseys in the late 40’s. 

• Like 2