2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

38 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

Not really uniform related, but why does it seems like TV networks now love using white as the background color of their team

Graphics for scorebugs? For example, CBS has the Steelers score box shaded white for this Bills game? Is there not enough contrast between blue, red, and white and black and yellow? CBS always used to use yellow or black as the background color. It makes sense when the two teams colors are similar, but not the case in this matchup.

I guess it just sort of bugs me. Anyone else notice this?

I love it. Steelers wearing white so their box has a white background. Bills in blue so blue box

• Like 7

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

32 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

Not really uniform related, but why does it seems like TV networks now love using white as the background color of their team

Graphics for scorebugs? For example, CBS has the Steelers score box shaded white for this Bills game? Is there not enough contrast between blue, red, and white and black and yellow? CBS always used to use yellow or black as the background color. It makes sense when the two teams colors are similar, but not the case in this matchup.

They've done that for a while now. But I had the opposite reaction. I like it because it matches the uniforms. NBC did that a while back for the Eagles when they wore the kelly green throwbacks. They used kelly green instead of midnight green. The primary uniforms might not be a big deal, but the throwbacks might confuse new fans.

• Like 1

For years I have tried to get on board with the Dolphins' current aqua but...I can't. It just looks way too washed out. Of course their former aqua is dang near similar to the Jaguars' teal, but still...I think darkening that hue just a smidgen would do wonders for that look. (Well that and losing the top-left rounded corners on what are otherwise their longtime Machine Block numbers...)

• Like 6

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 1/14/2024 at 8:04 PM, ruttep said:

Rams/Lions in DET:

spacer.png

2009/2010/2012/2016

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'd say "best" since 2016. Hated the white horn look in 2018, but at least in the 09/10/12/16 matchups, each team had properly contrasting uniform elements.

Of course, 1999 blows the other matchups here out of the water. 2001 and 2003 are a distant second and third.

My hot take is that Mono-Honolulu Blue wo black + Yellow Pants > Honolulu Blue over silver w black + Mono-White

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

A playoff W in red should hopefully help the Bucs overcome their recent white jersey infatuation. Hopefully it goes back to being a  Sept/Oct thing.

I’m also glad the Eagles are taking an L in their terrible overused white unitards.

Could we get red v blue next week? I’d hate it, but maybe?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

CBS has only started to do this with their current scoreboard this year on multiple occasions. For example, last season's Ravens-Giants game saw this:

bDGRCxH.png

But in this year's Colts-Ravens game (the first time CBS did this during the season), we saw the white background here:

W6UDvCE.png

It certainly took me back, because I've seen them use alternate colors or a darker grey for the background when possible to maintain the abbreviations in white and, of coarse, avoid the clash of some closely related colors.

I could speak more on this, but I'd rather save that for the graphics thread.

• Like 1

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

My hot take is that Mono-Honolulu Blue wo black + Yellow Pants > Honolulu Blue over silver w black + Mono-White

I don't consider it mono-white if there's navy socks. It's white-on-white, sure, but it's not the same as the "🥶🥶🥶" look that's become popular across the league.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

That was the very first thing I noticed when they kicked off.  I get the rationale of matching the jersey colors, but I would much prefer something other than white unless there is no other choice because it contrasts the other team's color and white is the only option left in the palette (e.g. if the Colts were wearing white against Detroit).

These were the previous two matchups between the Steelers and Bills in Buffalo, and even though they are wearing different uniforms in the games, the scorebug is the same and looks way better to me than it did today.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

They've done that for a while now. But I had the opposite reaction. I like it because it matches the uniforms. NBC did that a while back for the Eagles when they wore the kelly green throwbacks. They used kelly green instead of midnight green. The primary uniforms might not be a big deal, but the throwbacks might confuse new fans.

I’ve noticed it more and more the past few seasons. They started off doing it when both teams colors were similar. In CFB, Alabama-Arkansas. Both teams are crimson and white so they’d use both colors accordingly.

I still much prefer team colors though. If you need white to distinguish the Steelers from

the Bills, then why are you watching the game? Yellow or black would’ve been perfectly fine to use for the Steelers yesterday. I only prefer the use of white in my above example where both teams have similar color schemes.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SizzlinSabres said:

That was the very first thing I noticed when they kicked off.  I get the rationale of matching the jersey colors, but I would much prefer something other than white unless there is no other choice because it contrasts the other team's color and white is the only option left in the palette (e.g. if the Colts were wearing white against Detroit).

These were the previous two matchups between the Steelers and Bills in Buffalo, and even though they are wearing different uniforms in the games, the scorebug is the same and looks way better to me than it did today.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Agreed. These look much better. I thought white was a very odd, surprising choice.

Interestingly, I noticed when the Saints played the Falcons last week, they used black for the Saints box and inverted the quarter/game clock box to white background/black text. Normally it’s a black background/white text like in these photos.

3 hours ago, canzman said:

Post Season Divisional Round
Texans @ Ravens
bq6leEV.jpg 8eeBiE1.jpg
Packers @ 49ers
jApf2qb.jpg SPL91Of.jpg
Buccaneers @ Lions
zJ4hvL3.jpg 2P4ydpN.jpg
Chiefs @ Bills
l6qqk7s.jpg 2TKnxZb.jpg

Bucs at Lions could be such a great matchup, but we all know the Lions will go all-blue again unfortunately. It’s their new winning combo!

28 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

Bucs at Lions could be such a great matchup, but we all know the Lions will go all-blue again unfortunately. It’s their new winning combo!

Is there a place where one can bet on uniform combinations? I would like to put my entire life savings on Lions in mono-blue, please.

• Like 1

ClAFLDa.png

Expectations for the divisional games (besides GB @ SF, obviously):

• Texans and Ravens wear white/navy and purple/white again like they did Week 1.

• Bucs wear white/pewter, Detroit continues to wear mono blue

• Chiefs in white/red, Bills in blue/white again.

What would look best for conference championship weekend:

• Ravens advance and wear purple/white vs the Chiefs in white/red. If it was Buffalo instead, I would fear them wearing white/blue at Baltimore.

• Bucs at 49ers repeat their regular season duel for the NFC title game. Packers at Bucs is a damn good second best option though.

• Like 1

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png