MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

It's absurd that they even spell out "Washington" on the uniform.  I don't know anyone that says "Washington" except when referring to the actual government.  It's just DC.  Godsdamned DC.

The interconnecting DC cap with a DC-chest-logo jersey would be perfect.

Nationals is a dumb-ass name anyway.  I know what the literal word means, but it's a stupid name for a sports team.  Nobody says "oh, that Joey - now that's a fine national if I've ever seen one."

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

I know I'm always a total wet blanket about the current Marlins' identity, but the changes made to the black jersey are lateral at best. They basically "upgraded" an illegible jersey by making it totally bland. It's literally a black and white jersey (with the tiniest amount of accenting), almost akin to something that the White Sox would wear.

Now I'm beginning to wonder: why does a black jersey even need to exist at all? They very comically touted their "colores" when they unveiled this misfire of a set back in 2018 and one of their four jerseys has practically no trace of their "Miami blue" and "caliente red."

If there is some new rule about limiting the number of jersey combinations, just get rid of the black jersey entirelyIt's never going to work. Just stick with the white, the grey, the blue, and a teal throwback Friday as your four. It sure seems like they aren't doing throwbacks this year, despite how wildly popular they were in 2023.

This f'n team, man.

So you're gonna hate this but, I have a friend who is a season ticket holder and he's the kind of guy with no shame in asking what he needs to ask, he's also a huge fan of the original Marlins look like you are, well today at Fan Fest he asked about the teal throwbacks that were worn last year and he was told they would not be returning and of course he asked why... this could be BS but this is the answer he got: that the throwback Fridays didn't really make a difference in ticket or merchandise sales so when having to cut a jersey due to Nike's rules on limiting how many jerseys are available, the throwback jersey was chosen to be cut. 

• Huh? 1
  • Hate 1

One more Marlins thought that could be very possible and would very much not be cool. We don't know that this nice blue jersey is for game use. There's a chance that this only replaces the previous blue jersey and thus could just be a new BP/ST jersey. 

I'm only guessing but that feels like it could definitely be possible.

Also possible that the old blue is still kept for ST and that maybe the road gray was dropped?

Just saying we still don't know what these are for.

We saw 3 jerseys today so the question is, which is the 4th jersey, the road gray or the old blue one... or does the BP jersey not count towards the 4 and maybe it's still around too? Gosh I despise that 4+1 jersey rule.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

One more Marlins thought that could be very possible and would very much not be cool. We don't know that this nice blue jersey is for game use. There's a chance that this only replaces the previous blue jersey and thus could just be a new BP/ST jersey. 

Also possible that the old blue is still kept for ST and that maybe the road gray was dropped?

I don’t think it would be hyped up and unveiled at the Marlins convention if it was just going to be a batting practice jersey. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, M59 said:

Re: the Nationals
1) I've never understood why a DC team would shackle itself to a variant of the Dallas Cowboys 1960s number font...and then stick with the bloody thing through all their various (mostly bad and generally mismatched) uniforms.
2) I think the Nationals script wordmark is tilted like it is because the team name is so long. The Orioles could save themselves a bit of grief with tilting their "italicized" wordmark at a similar angle. Might eliminate the four lane divided highway between the "i" and second "o".
3) Slap a giant Pepsi logo on the right breast of that alternate jersey and you have this season's SGA soccer jersey.

4) That collar treatment...that collar treatment utterly sucks. Somebody bring back the two-button Henley style...please!

How does that make any sense when "Washington", which is a longer word, was NOT angled like that? And no, the Orioles should not follow suit. The only they would possibly need to do is slightly de-italicize "Baltimore".

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's absurd that they even spell out "Washington" on the uniform.  I don't know anyone that says "Washington" except when referring to the actual government.  It's just DC.  Godsdamned DC.

What? Calling it Washington DC is incredibly common, so much so that sometimes people refer to the other Washington as Washington State. It would be weird and stupid if the team named Washington didn't have Washington anywhere in it's branding.

How many times can I say Washington in this post anyways?

Washington.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

bSLCtu2.png

3 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

What? Calling it Washington DC is incredibly common, so much so that sometimes people refer to the other  Washington as Washington State. It would be weird and stupid if the team named Washington didn't have Washington anywhere in it's branding.

Washington.

How much you washing?

A ton.

I'll see myself out.

• LOL 2

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

The interconnecting DC cap with a DC-chest-logo jersey would be perfect.

Nationals is a dumb-ass name anyway.  I know what the literal word means, but it's a stupid name for a sports team.  Nobody says "oh, that Joey - now that's a fine national if I've ever seen one."

It's a nice traditional name if you think of it as organically coming from an official "Washington National League Ball Club." It didn't, of course, but it's a good story, and certainly better than Wizards or Commanders, and better for NLers than it was for ALers.

I think DC on the caps, Washington on the roads (2005-2007 script), as intended, would have been fine.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

40 minutes ago, McCall said:

How does that make any sense when "Washington", which is a longer word, was NOT angled like that? And no, the Orioles should not follow suit. The only they would possibly need to do is slightly de-italicize "Baltimore".

Re: your point on word length. Didn't they render "Washington" smaller than "Nationals"?

What the Orioles ought to do is revive the 1999 jersey script (slightly reducing the size of the "oles" and getting the whole thing on the same plane/angle) and put the white outlines back on the black alternate jerseys...
https://goldinauctions.com/1999_Cal_Ripken_Jr__Game_Used___Signed_Baltimore_O-LOT68315.aspx
Given that there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, I'd settle for the current script being tilted enough for the "i" to line up with the placket. 
Or, if they could get pullovers without that ghastly Nike collar treatment, just do pullovers and be done with it.

Seriously, though...MLB is run by a bunch of old white guys. Crusty, traditionalist old white guys. How is the Nike tail wagging the MLB dog to this extent? Somebody convince the geezers that "the kids" will buy baseball jerseys if they look like NBA tops with sleeves? The new template game jerseys are gonna be worse than the $25 Korean knockoffs they've been bitching about for decades now. And they're cheap, ugly and increasingly boring. Who do they think is gonna buy this garbage? I used to collect game used jerseys. You couldn't pay me to buy this crap. (Well, you could of course, but I'd flip it as soon as you weren't looking! 😉)

Edited by M59
More stuff.
  • Yawn 3
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, M59 said:

Re: your point on word length. Didn't they render "Washington" smaller than "Nationals"?

What the Orioles ought to do is revive the 1999 jersey script (slightly reducing the size of the "oles" and getting the whole thing on the same plane/angle) and put the white outlines back on the black alternate jerseys...
https://goldinauctions.com/1999_Cal_Ripken_Jr__Game_Used___Signed_Baltimore_O-LOT68315.aspx
Given that there's not a snowball's chance in hell of that happening, I'd settle for the current script being tilted enough for the "i" to line up with the placket. 
Or, if they could get pullovers without that ghastly Nike collar treatment, just do pullovers and be done with it.

Seriously, though...MLB is run by a bunch of old white guys. Crusty, traditionalist old white guys. How is the Nike tail wagging the MLB dog to this extent? Somebody convince the geezers that "the kids" will buy baseball jerseys if they look like NBA tops with sleeves? The new template game jerseys are gonna be worse than the $25 Korean knockoffs they've been bitching about for decades now. And they're cheap, ugly and increasingly boring. Who do they think is gonna buy this garbage? I used to collect game used jerseys. You couldn't pay me to buy this crap. (Well, you could of course, but I'd flip it as soon as you weren't looking! 😉)

And there we go.🤦‍♂️

• Yawn 1

2 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Seeing the real life photos of the Marlins reinforces that the changes are a big step in the right direction, but man, could they definitely be better. Particularly the black.

spacer.png

In my opinion, I just don’t think they need red. It serves very little purpose in their color scheme. Clearly the emphasis is on black and blue. And the shade of blue is great. Pretty unique and distinctive. If done correctly, I think they could evoke the black and teal era but the blue would be more timeless and not reminiscent of a single decade in sports when everyone had the color.

spacer.png

The City Connect should be the basis for an update. That script is so much better! It’s also much simpler because it has a single contrasting color whereas the current script has two trim colors.

Imagine that design (with or without the pinstripes), but with a black base, white script, and that thick, vibrant blue drop shadow. The drop shadow would pop so much more than the new black jersey’s blue and red outlines. I could see a blue version with a white script and black drop shadow. And then white and gray with black scripts and blue drop shadows. The Marlins have long emphasized black and that would be a great way of continuing black while heavily showing off the blue because of that incredible script with the big drop shadow.

Probably the single most puzzling thing about the Marlins' 2019 was the addition of red, with 3 other teams in their division already using it, not to mention the rest of MLB. It was made that much worse by placing it right next to the (really nice) bright blue color in the wordmarks & stripes, giving a "3D-glasses" effect to it all, whether they intended to do that or not.

It was the perfect opportunity to hop onto the Heat's "Vice" jersey hype, and do them one better by making it the full-time set, but they blew it. 

I actually really like the current scripts, they feel like a perfect blend of the original Marlins' set and the more modern vibe of the 2012-2018 set. I agree with you that they don't need the red, though, so maybe replacing the red dropshadow with more blue would help with adding color. It'd be a subtle change, but would definitely help emphasize the blue:

YBKNSkK.gif

• Like 11

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So you're gonna hate this but, I have a friend who is a season ticket holder and he's the kind of guy with no shame in asking what he needs to ask, he's also a huge fan of the original Marlins look like you are, well today at Fan Fest he asked about the teal throwbacks that were worn last year and he was told they would not be returning and of course he asked why... this could be BS but this is the answer he got: that the throwback Fridays didn't really make a difference in ticket or merchandise sales so when having to cut a jersey due to Nike's rules on limiting how many jerseys are available, the throwback jersey was chosen to be cut. 

I believe every word of this, but if I were your friend, I would have been incensed enough with that reasoning to push back. I went to a fair amount of games in 2023 and it was pretty obvious that the amount of teal gear on sale was pathetic at best. Sure they were selling the New Era teal cap, but jersey-wise it was slim pickings. That bizarre Andre Dawson Mitchell & Ness jersey (no idea how they landed on him to rep the team) and a Willis home jersey c. 2003, but they went most of the season without a replica of the 1993-2002 jerseys worn by the players on sale in the team store. And when they did start selling them, very late into the season, they seemed to rarely be in stock.

If the merchandise sales seemed limited, it's because there was no merchandise. The online store was even worse.

On top of that, I can't imagine the thought process of anyone who thinks a White Sox Marlins black alternate would sell better than a vintage teal throwback.

Again, this f'n team, man.

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

We saw 3 jerseys today so the question is, which is the 4th jersey, the road gray or the old blue one... or does the BP jersey not count towards the 4 and maybe it's still around too? Gosh I despise that 4+1 jersey rule.

I hear you, but as others have mentioned, there seems to be enough fanfare around this unveiling that the blue one has to be for game use. We shall see.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MJD7 said:

It was the perfect opportunity to hop onto the Heat's "Vice" jersey hype, and do them one better by making it the full-time set, but they blew it. 

I actually really like the current scripts, they feel like a perfect blend of the original Marlins' set and the more modern vibe of the 2012-2018 set.

Or they could just go back to a color scheme that is clearly preferred (teal) and one that no Marlins fan wanted to get rid of. They have only been teal-less for so many years due to owner hubris.

NYC carpetbagger Jeffrey Loria decided to Yankee-fy the Marlins original uniform set as soon as he bought the team. They were still technically a "teal" team but it was basically BFBS with teal very attenuated. He got rid of it altogether when the new stadium opened just because he wanted to flex his ego and put his stamp on things. Jeter did exactly the same thing when he bought the team.

I feel like the team bosses just doesn't get it. They are not gaining any extra revenue by having this soulless identity trotted out since 2019 that most fans merely tolerate on the basis of "hey, at least the blue jersey is cool!" Look around Marlins Park on game day. Most people are either wearing City Connects or vintage teal.

• Like 2

Really glad to see the end of the Marlins black-on-black look, but part of me wants to see the wordmark in blue.  Kind of like these old BP's from the early aughts.

s-l1200.webp

• Like 12

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

9 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

What? Calling it Washington DC is incredibly common, so much so that sometimes people refer to the other Washington as Washington State. It would be weird and stupid if the team named Washington didn't have Washington anywhere in it's branding.

Washington.

Maybe wherever you are, but i don't think I've ever heard that here, and I have friends there, take trains there frequently, interact with work colleagues there, etc.  It's 100% "DC", or "the DC suburbs", etc.  I have good friends who work on Capitol Hill who would also say that colloquially, "Washington" is only used to refer to government.  

In fact, a friend of mine who's not a sports fan thought that the Washington Wizards played in Washington State because of the use of Washington (this friend lives in Phila, not in DC where she'd've probably at least have known the arena or heard them in passing.)

Of all the people I know and interact with in the northeast corridor, I don't know a single one that says "Washington". 

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

8 hours ago, MJD7 said:

. It was made that much worse by placing it right next to the (really nice) bright blue color in the wordmarks & stripes, giving a "3D-glasses" effect to it all, whether they intended to do that or not

I do think the 3d effect was the intention there especially when you see it on the black on black jersey. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Maybe wherever you are, but i don't think I've ever heard that here, and I have friends there, take trains there frequently, interact with work colleagues there, etc.  It's 100% "DC", or "the DC suburbs", etc.  I have good friends who work on Capitol Hill who would also say that colloquially, "Washington" is only used to refer to government.  

In fact, a friend of mine who's not a sports fan thought that the Washington Wizards played in Washington State because of the use of Washington (this friend lives in Phila, not in DC where she'd've probably at least have known the arena or heard them in passing.)

Of all the people I know and interact with in the northeast corridor, I don't know a single one that says "Washington". 

Exactly. I live 10 minutes outside of town and always call it DC, and that's all I ever hear. Sometimes I might say, "I'm going Downtown today", but its never Washington. 

Those new road uniforms are horrendous, that Washington script looked great on the jersey. I don't mind the pullover since its not a full time look and love the addition of the DC patch. That has always been my favorite logo of theirs and would love to see it on a hat again, even with the District outline around it would be cool. 

• Like 5
SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png