MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

30 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I'm curious: what is the basis of this suspicion (beyond new ownership)? I mean, sure, the O's uniforms have gone through some smaller-scale changes over the years (switch to cartoon bird from ornothological bird, short-lived switch to black scripts on the home jerseys in the '90s, etc.), but beyond that, that organization had never made any major changes to that set in its history...

You're looking for logic on this board?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 7

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, M59 said:

With new ownership in place, I suspect the Orioles are going to get a complete overhaul of their uniform set. I'm frankly terrified by the prospect of what the "designers" at Nike are going to come up with. The next iteration of the Cash Grab Connect is the least of my current worries.

I highly doubt it. The O's have arguably one of the best looks in MLB. This is not like when Jeter's group bought the Marlins in 2017 when the team was due for a makeover. 

• Like 9

On 9/7/2024 at 12:14 PM, tBBP said:

I'm curious: what is the basis of this suspicion (beyond new ownership)? I mean, sure, the O's uniforms have gone through some smaller-scale changes over the years (switch to cartoon bird from ornothological bird, short-lived switch to black scripts on the home jerseys in the '90s, etc.), but beyond that, that organization had never made any major changes to that set in its history...

Complete change in 1989. Swap orange alternate for black in 1993.  Complete change in 1995. Tweaks (oh, so many tweaks) between 1996 and 2008. Refresh set and add "Baltimore" to the road jerseys in 2009. Tweaks and add orange alternate since, but no major changes in 15 years. I'd love to be wrong (I'd also love to return to the 1999 script) but new ownership plus Nikefication seems to spell new (and probably worse) uniforms loom in our future. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, M59 said:

Complete change in 1989. Swap orange alternate for black in 1993.  Complete change in 1995. Tweaks (oh, so many tweaks) between 1996 and 2008. Refresh set and add "Baltimore" to the road jerseys in 2009. Tweaks and add orange alternate since, but no major changes in 15 years. I'd love to be wrong (I'd also love to return to the 1999 script) but new ownership plus Nikefication seems to spell new (and probably worse) uniforms loom in our future. 

None of these were wholesale changes to the extent that you seem to be implying and your last sentence is nothing more than your own unfounded, paranoid speculation.

• Like 5
  • LOL 3

3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Dunno if I said this before but This logo is nice but underrated because the smiling bird is what people think when they think "Orioles logo"spacer.png

That would also make a great sleeve patch, but it’s more lucrative to have a giant pink pep to-bismol logo instead 

• Like 4
KISSwall09.jpg

3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Dunno if I said this before but This logo is nice but underrated because the smiling bird is what people think when they think "Orioles logo"spacer.png

I’ve always liked it, the pale yellow color gives it a nice vintage feel, which works really well with Camden Yards. However, I’ve always been partial to the cartoon bird since it was refreshed.

• Like 8

On 9/7/2024 at 11:47 AM, M59 said:

With new ownership in place, I suspect the Orioles are going to get a complete overhaul of their uniform set. I'm frankly terrified by the prospect of what the "designers" at Nike are going to come up with. The next iteration of the Cash Grab Connect is the least of my current worries.

If it were 3 years ago and they were still at the bottom of the standings maybe ownership would be looking for a change to reinvigorate the fanbase, but the O's have one of the best young teams in baseball now. They also have one of the classic looks in the game. Aside from the minor tweaks you mentioned, they've essentially looked the same for their entire history.

The City Connect program has been a swing & a miss for a lot of teams, but at least it gives them an outlet to experiment with "creative/innovative" ideas without messing up the primary look. 

• Like 7

The only change I'd make to the Orioles' home and road set is swapping the Maryland flag sleeve patch for a refreshed Swingin' Bird in the style of the current Smilin' Bird but other than that they're basically perfect. I truly hope they never make a major change again.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, sky1324 said:

The only change I'd make to the Orioles' home and road set is swapping the Maryland flag sleeve patch for a refreshed Swingin' Bird in the style of the current Smilin' Bird but other than that they're basically perfect. I truly hope they never make a major change again.

1000% agree with you on the patch, although I still feel that the 1999 script looks better on a jersey than the current one does, and that the black jerseys would benefit enormously from white trim on the letters and numbers. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 2:51 PM, McCall said:

None of these were wholesale changes to the extent that you seem to be implying and your last sentence is nothing more than your own unfounded, paranoid speculation.

I don't know how much a uniform set has to change for you to consider the changes wholesale, but I suspect the answer is way more than most people's. 

If you don't think that an old uniform set associated with a previous (and unpopular) ownership combined with Nikefication and the desire to leave no fan's wallet emptied doesn't point in the direction of a new (and given that Nike is involved, almost certainly worse) uniform set, then...fine...whatever.
Finally, if it wasn't for unfounded speculation put forth by interested individuals, exactly how much server space do you think these forums would take up? My guess is: not bloody much.
YMMV. HaND.

Edited by M59
Stuff
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, sky1324 said:

I'd maybe get rid of the taper on the home script or reinstate the taper on the road script. But that's getting into the weeds there.

Reintroducing a "Baltimore" script was fantastic. If only we could get the Cardinals to plop the "St. Louis" script on their primary road set.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd maybe get rid of the taper on the home script or reinstate the taper on the road script. But that's getting into the weeds there.

Reintroducing a "Baltimore" script was fantastic. If only we could get the Cardinals to plop the "St. Louis" script on their primary road set.

A return to the 1999 script (as actually worn) would largely solve the "taper" or "vanishing point" script issue. I definitely would not reintroduce it on the road script. Agree with you on the Cardinals.

The O's did do a new swinging bird in the mid-2000s, but it never got much play:

Baltimore Orioles Logo Alternate Logo (2002-2003) - Smiling Oriole in hitter's stance SportsLogos.Net

Maybe it was a little too Orioles Kids Club, I don't know. It wasn't without potential, though my favorite refresh was the one that one guy did in that Retracing Old Logos thread.

• Like 6

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, M59 said:

I don't know how much a uniform set has to change for you to consider the changes wholesale, but I suspect the answer is way more than most people's. 

If you don't think that an old uniform set associated with a previous (and unpopular) ownership combined with Nikefication and the desire to leave no fan's wallet emptied doesn't point in the direction of a new (and given that Nike is involved, almost certainly worse) uniform set, then...fine...whatever.
Finally, if it wasn't for unfounded speculation put forth by interested individuals, exactly how much server space do you think these forums would take up? My guess is: not bloody much.
YMMV. HaND.

When there's been absolutely no indication whatsoever that they plan to change the uniforms and you're acting like it's a confirmed factual thing, THAT'S paranoia.

And ask other people if you consider their previous changes "wholesale" before assuming your definition is the correct one.

And I'm gonna assume "YMMV. HaND" was just your bot processor glitching.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

On 9/8/2024 at 12:38 PM, M59 said:

but new ownership plus Nikefication seems to spell new (and probably worse) uniforms loom in our future. 

What indication has there been that Nike is going to radically change any  teams' primary uniforms, much less the Orioles? 

Since Nike took over MLB in 2020, the Rangers, Brewers, Padres, Royals, Twins, and Diamondbacks (& technically the Guardians) are the teams that have redesigned their uniform sets (am I missing anyone?). The Brewers, Padres, & Twins I'd say were massive home runs (if you want to give Nike any credit for that, I don't believe they were involved that much), and the rest were tweaks that the general public probably wouldn't even notice. 

Like others have said, the City Connect program has been Nike's outlet to try more unique & creative elements. Many of them even seem to me like what Nike would do if they had complete creative control of a team's uniforms (the Giants, Guardians, White Sox, & Rockies come to mind as specific examples).

The O's have some of the best uniforms in baseball, and a really successful team at the moment, which I'd say are the two main components of a uniform set having staying power. I'd really be shocked if they have any significant changes anytime soon.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, McCall said:

When there's been absolutely no indication whatsoever that they plan to change the uniforms and you're acting like it's a confirmed factual thing, THAT'S paranoia.

And ask other people if you consider their previous changes "wholesale" before assuming your definition is the correct one.

And I'm gonna assume "YMMV. HaND" was just your bot processor glitching.

It would appear that your definition of "suspect" is also rather...expansive.
Given that these forums are primarily used to express opinions of uniforms and uniform changes, I don't think I need your permission to consider the 1989 and 1995 changes "wholesale".
"YMMV. HaND" = "Your mileage may vary. Have a nice day."

• LOL 1

13 hours ago, MJD7 said:

What indication has there been that Nike is going to radically change any  teams' primary uniforms, much less the Orioles? 

Since Nike took over MLB in 2020, the Rangers, Brewers, Padres, Royals, Twins, and Diamondbacks (& technically the Guardians) are the teams that have redesigned their uniform sets (am I missing anyone?). The Brewers, Padres, & Twins I'd say were massive home runs (if you want to give Nike any credit for that, I don't believe they were involved that much), and the rest were tweaks that the general public probably wouldn't even notice. 

Like others have said, the City Connect program has been Nike's outlet to try more unique & creative elements. Many of them even seem to me like what Nike would do if they had complete creative control of a team's uniforms (the Giants, Guardians, White Sox, & Rockies come to mind as specific examples).

The O's have some of the best uniforms in baseball, and a really successful team at the moment, which I'd say are the two main components of a uniform set having staying power. I'd really be shocked if they have any significant changes anytime soon.

As far as the Orioles go, I hope you're right. As far as the changes made since 2020, the best grade I'd give any of them is "OK, I guess". 
We all like what we like. Personally, Ithink MLB uniform design peaked around 1999 and has been on a downhill slide since. I also think that downhill slide had a rocket strapped to it this year. Cheaper is only better for Nike's and MLB's bottom line...and the mandate for this years "chassis" is clearly "make 'em cheaper".  There is no aspect of MLBs uniforms that hasn't suffered from en:censored:tification since 2023. 

3 hours ago, M59 said:

It would appear that your definition of "suspect" is also rather...expansive.
Given that these forums are primarily used to express opinions of uniforms and uniform changes, I don't think I need your permission to consider the 1989 and 1995 changes "wholesale".
"YMMV. HaND" = "Your mileage may vary. Have a nice day."

Show us where it says the Orioles are for sure changing uniforms...

I'll wait.

Also show me where I defined, as you said, "suspect". Or where I said you needed my permission, afterall, you seemed to imply that MY definition of "wholesale" was "wholly" different than everybody else who, apparently by your own beliefs, agree with you.

Again, I'll wait.

• Like 1