PWHL Branding and Uniforms 2023-24

spartacat_12

5 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

If the PWHL wants to tout itself as a professional, top-tier product, it should really start acting like it.

From what I've heard it seems like the players have been the ones pushing for the league to start this season. I think if it were solely up to the people running the league, they'd have delayed it a year to get all the logistics ironed out without rushing.

Obviously the generic placeholder jerseys aren't great, but considering the team names that leaked it might be better for them to get back to the drawing board.

38 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

From what I've heard it seems like the players have been the ones pushing for the league to start this season. I think if it were solely up to the people running the league, they'd have delayed it a year to get all the logistics ironed out without rushing.

Obviously the generic placeholder jerseys aren't great, but considering the team names that leaked it might be better for them to get back to the drawing board.

You mean the PWHPA players, who were actually the smaller pool, when compared to the PHF ones.

And they can push all they want. At the end of the day, business decisions are a league decision. They have the money, and it's their money on the line. The buck stops there.

Players don't always know what's best for the league or the sport, just their portion, which is significant but hardly the whole.

If this is the best this leadership can do, honestly the best, how is it in any way so far superior to the PHF?

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Definitely not a good start for the league to go ahead without any names or logos.  But, to be fair to the players, if they are the ones pushing to play now instead of waiting a year, it's a little more understandable since waiting a year means no paycheck for them.  If I were in their shoes, without an alternative, I'd push ahead, too, unless there were other ways where they would still get paid for the year.

• Love 1

On 11/14/2023 at 11:43 AM, Dilbert said:

Why do I have the feeling that they are just gonna play with no team name or logos this season?

Welp!

This league is allegedly starting play in January. It's mid-November and there is still no schedule, and no announced game venues. But the league website will let you put down $50 as a non-refundable deposit for season tickets to see your team play at an undisclosed place at an undisclosed time.

The league has confirmed practice sites for all six teams. Maybe those also turn out to be the home arenas. If they do, then it's hilarious, because two of the sites (Tria in Minnesota and Chelsea Piers in Stamford, CT) are former home rinks of NWHL/PHF teams, which this league will not hesitate to let you know it is so much bigger and better and smarter than.

Dilbert, I think you've followed enough minor/rival/startup leagues like I have to see red lights going off all over the place on this one, and it ain't because goals are being scored.

I hope the people in charge here can pull their act together. But hope and five dollars will get you a puck.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:35 PM, Jezus_Ghoti said:

The way the lettering stretches the sweater (and it's not just these pics, it's like this in all the unveiling videos even when the sweaters are hanging loosely) looks extremely cheap.

The jersey material looks like rec league-grade stuff with all the colors sublimated. Lightweight jerseys like that and sewn-on tackle twill do not play well together.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is what happens when you're so eager to kill off established competition that's not fully to "your standard".

This is an absolute travesty . . . and it's just as bad that they're taking money from people for tickets before even telling people where games will be played.

• 1 month later...
On 1/2/2024 at 12:25 PM, M4One said:

First game of the PWHL.  Seems like none of the sleeve stripes on any of the jerseys go all the way around, which was not the case when they unveiled the jerseys.

Look like sweaters from unveiling were a placeholders (Montreal kinda confirmed it) made by unknown brand (no logo/tag on hem) and these ones is those which was supposed to be at first and they made by SP.

• Like 2

4r2eer.png

23 hours ago, pepis21 said:

Look like sweaters from unveiling were a placeholders (Montreal kinda confirmed it) made by unknown brand (no logo/tag on hem) and these ones is those which was supposed to be at first and they made by SP.

Maybe they should have stuck with the unknown brand because not having the sleeve stripes go all the way around is ridiculous. That can't be SP's standard template, can it?  I know there have been other jerseys where the stripes don't go completely all the way around, but nothing like this.

16 hours ago, M4One said:

That can't be SP's standard template, can it?

I don't think so, on their site they've got normal templates as well. Funniest thing is that PWHL store selling jerseys made by other brand than SP. Totally mess.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

• 1 month later...

Here's some relatively good sponsorship news for a change: The PWHL is piloting a program in which Molson's logo will appear on jerseys, on the back above the numbers. This means nameplates move below the numbers, where they're unobstructed by players' long hair.

montreal.jpg

toronto-players.jpg

Toronto and Montréal will be wearing these jerseys in their game tonight. And it may go league-wide soon enough.

• Like 3

• officeglenn changed the title to PWHL Branding and Uniforms 2023-24
5 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

Here's some relatively good sponsorship news for a change: The PWHL is piloting a program in which Molson's logo will appear on jerseys, on the back above the numbers. This means nameplates move below the numbers, where they're unobstructed by players' long hair.

montreal.jpg

toronto-players.jpg

Toronto and Montréal will be wearing these jerseys in their game tonight. And it may go league-wide soon enough.

And Uni Watch gave their opinion about the Molson ad speak.

https://uni-watch.com/2024/03/05/brewery-pretends-that-douchey-pwhl-uni-ad-is-empowering/

0305toronto-pwhl-molson-2-672x504.jpeg

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Huh? 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

But I would appreciate it if everyone involved could stop insulting our intelligence and just be honest enough to say, “We’re doing this douchey thing, which is purely an act of commerce, because that’s how we do business,” instead of pretending that they’re do-gooders striking a blow for justice.

the vibes they are a-shiftin'

• Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/8/2024 at 11:55 AM, MJWalker45 said:

And Uni Watch gave their opinion about the Molson ad speak.

https://uni-watch.com/2024/03/05/brewery-pretends-that-douchey-pwhl-uni-ad-is-empowering/

0305toronto-pwhl-molson-2-672x504.jpeg

Yikes. I get that no one likes ads on uniforms, but do we need to be this cynical?

For a startup league like the PWHL, jersey ads are a necessary evil. Molson could've easily just purchased the real estate below the number and slapped their logo there, but they found a much more creative way to activate the sponsorship. Yes, this helps them gain some positive PR, but we should appreciate that they put some effort into making the campaign about more than just their company.

• Like 7
  • Eyeroll 1