PWHL Branding and Uniforms 2023-24

spartacat_12

The Professional Women's Hockey League, which is going to be launching in the fall, is set to make their official announcement today, but we already know that their 'Original 6' franchises are set to play in the following markets:

• Toronto
  • Montreal
  • Ottawa
  • New York City/Tri-State Area
  • Boston
  • Minneapolis-St. Paul

I'm not sure if we'll get any news on team names/logos today, but it will be interesting to see if any of them bring back previous women's hockey brands (Toronto 6, Minnesota Whitecaps, etc.), or if they start fresh.

• spartacat_12 changed the title to PWHL Announces Original 6 Franchises

So during the announcement the mostly just confirmed what was already being reported. There isn't a logo for the league, or any team names/logos yet, but they are in the process of being worked on. I'm assuming over the next couple months we'll see some things start to come out.

15 hours ago, ColeJ said:

apparently NONE of the team names are going to survive..which is a big shame.

At least that means we won't have a team named after a number.

The NHL won't have any involvement in the team naming/branding process, so we won't have a WNBA situation where the names/logos are connected to the local men's team.

On 8/29/2023 at 4:05 PM, nickp91 said:

Kudos to the PWHL I hope this is a huge success and continues to create interest in hockey among young girls and the population in general

The way to do so would probably to promote women's hockey as a fun live event for families with approachable talent and a less oafish style than the men's game (though this last one may be tougher now that the NHL is just sprinting down the ice and chucking shots). Hockey is the best live sport; watch people play it who are talented and will sign your stuff after the game. The pffffff seemed to market to blogresses with arcane chronic illnesses who were good at tweeting about the moral imperative to support the league but less adept at filling the seats themselves. I think it got egregious enough at one point that Dave Portnoy explored starting the Non-Neurotic Women's Hockey League but then got distracted by some frozen pizza marketing deal. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

though this last one may be tougher now that the NHL is just sprinting down the ice and chucking shots.

This is a bad take… The game definitely isn’t the rough and tumble 70’s anymore, (or even the 2000’s) but to simplify the talent, finesse, and speed of today’s game to just a skate and shoot game is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

No, it's a fine take. Shifts are too short, you can't work a Wings/Hawks possession offense anymore, everything is just dump-and-chase and shooting as much as possible. That women's teams can probably still work a cycle is a point in their favor.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...

No team names, logos, or jerseys were released at yesterday’s draft, but based on the teams’ social media posts announcing their picks we got a hint at team colours. 

Montreal - burgundy

Toronto - blue

Ottawa - red

Boston - green

New York - teal/seafoam 

Minnesota - purple

• Like 1

14 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

No team names, logos, or jerseys were released at yesterday’s draft, but based on the teams’ social media posts announcing their picks we got a hint at team colours. 

Montreal - burgundy

Toronto - blue

Ottawa - red

Boston - green

New York - teal/seafoam 

Minnesota - purple

My thoughts

Montreal - Maroons-esque?

Toronto - Tied in with the Toronto sports blue 

Ottawa - Tied in with Ottawa sports red

Boston - Irish?

New York - Either Statue of Liberty (though I don't know if the WNBA/New York Liberty would like it) or something akin to the Fisherman/New York Riptide colour scheme

Minnesota - Vikings-esque maybe leading to some sort of Northern Lights or Auroras thing

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

I saw a live stream of the draft and it was weird in regards to welcoming players in attendance.  Usually when a player is drafted in other leagues, that player gets a hat with the team logo on it and in some drafts, a hat along with the team jersey.  But none of the PWHL players in attendance for the draft got even a hat to wear.  When they were introduced on stage, they meet the GM and the GM and player hold a hockey stick with PWHL and City/State/Provincial name on it only for a photo op and once that is done, the hockey stick remains on stage as the GM puts it back on the rack.

• Facepalm 1

• 1 month later...

Well it appears that the team names have leaked, and they are all terrible.

I'm really hoping this league can be a success, and I know team names might not mean all that much in the grand scheme of things, but this isn't going to generate any sort of positive interest. Also, the Montreal Canadiens have frequently used a torch to represent their franchise, so it seems like a poor choice for a team in Toronto.

• LOL 3
  • Meh 1
  • Huh? 2
  • Hate 1

Boston should've gone with @mcrosby's NWSL concept name & logo and still kept what, presumably, is a Salem witchcraft theme:

HkinOcL.png

"New York Sound" is the only name that sounds at all usable as-is; is the implication that they'll play on Long Island?

Toronto could've been "Torchbearers," which sounds a lot better to me and would have evoked a nice activist imagery, but I agree it sounds more Montreal or Winnipeg to me. At least it's better than 6.

If they go with mythological Echo in Montreal, that might make for somewhat interesting branding, like a Narcissus flower, but that tale's awfully grim and kinda evokes a lack of any agency :(

RIP Minnesota Whitecaps and NY Riveters branding. Why must you die for this

• Like 5