MLS Kits 2024

kylonian

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

LAFC and Miami having "Archive Collection" 3rd Kits is so dumb. They should let teams that actually have history be part of the collection and just done something different for LAFC and Miami.

It's an obvious cashgrab, true. And interesting that a club like KC gets the 1996 treatment but we're not seeing MetroStars, Revolution, Columbus or other 1996 clubs that would have fun histories for this.

Lack of true retro inspiration for Miami is unfortunate and kind of surprising.

LAFC is giving Aztecs-inspired fauxback even if that's not what they want to admit. But feels like a mix of these two. Which, I don't dislike that concept at all, but would be nice if they said it.

Aztecs%2077%20Road%20Playoffs%20Jersey%20George%20Best%20(1).JPG Aztecs%2078%20Road%20Jersey%20Tommy%20Smith%20(1).jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Digby said:

It's an obvious cashgrab, true. And interesting that a club like KC gets the 1996 treatment but we're not seeing MetroStars, Revolution, Columbus or other 1996 clubs that would have fun histories for this.

Lack of true retro inspiration for Miami is unfortunate and kind of surprising.

LAFC is giving Aztecs-inspired fauxback even if that's not what they want to admit. But feels like a mix of these two. Which, I don't dislike that concept at all, but would be nice if they said it.

Aztecs%2077%20Road%20Playoffs%20Jersey%20George%20Best%20(1).JPG Aztecs%2078%20Road%20Jersey%20Tommy%20Smith%20(1).jpg

Chivas USA would have been more accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastBias said:

Chivas USA would have been more accurate.

This just rustled the memory out of the deepest recesses of my brain of how Chivas USA trademarked Los Angeles FC/SC logos toward the end of its existence.

imageagentproxy.jpg imageagentproxy1.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, Digby said:

This just rustled the memory out of the deepest recesses of my brain of how Chivas USA trademarked Los Angeles FC/SC logos toward the end of its existence.

imageagentproxy.jpg imageagentproxy1.jpg

Watch out, the LAFC plastics might come after you now!

• LOL 1

5 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

LAFC and Miami having "Archive Collection" 3rd Kits is so dumb. They should let teams that actually have history be part of the collection and just done something different for LAFC and Miami.

I was gonna say...how did the league/adidas go about choosing which teams got these "archive" kits?? And how must the other clubs feel for not getting one? (Given the clubs that did get an archive kit, I'm surprised they didn't cook one up for Atlanta...)

3 hours ago, walkerws said:

Miami should have had the mutiny colors. LAFC should have stayed at home. DC United should have replaced them if you weren't going to do anything with Columbus. I like KC and the Galaxy. 

I think you mean the Fusion colors...I may be wrong, though.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

14 hours ago, tBBP said:

I was gonna say...how did the league/adidas go about choosing which teams got these "archive" kits?? And how must the other clubs feel for not getting one? (Given the clubs that did get an archive kit, I'm surprised they didn't cook one up for Atlanta...)

Atlanta got a third kit last year, along with Toronto and both New York teams. That set of thirds didn't have this retro vintage inspiration, but guessing there's some kind of rotation for the third-kit program now among the "bigger" teams, these were the teams that were up for it this year even if the retro theme wasn't a perfect fit for some of them.

On 7/16/2024 at 5:50 PM, tBBP said:

Lots of people forgot about the Fusion, but the Mutiny logo was a fave. But yes, Miami Fusion or Fort Lauderdale Strikers would have been better. 

24ADIMMLSM243RDMSMLS?qlt=70&wid=600&fmt=

It's also interesting that these uniforms will have a different number typeface. Would this be a replacement for the current numbers, or just part of this specific season program? For the teams that were actually adidas teams I would have liked them to use their 1996 fonts for that respective team. The Galaxy had Nike's standard font, as did all of the Nike teams that year, which was a basic block number set. 

at0e47ttdfter2qopeyl.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOXHPi8BWjFv8Ihj0_lREimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN05EB52ljWQdk4CfmfJq

Same for one of the shirts the Timbers was based off of.

82+(2)_clipped_rev_1.jpeg

Kansas City used a version of the New England Patriots/Carolina Hurricanes font. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 7/16/2024 at 6:50 PM, tBBP said:

Yeah. I was thinking them. Mutiny is Tampa. Brain cramp

I may sound biased as a Miami sports fan, but these are my favorite soccer kits ever. I’m also a newer fan so the nostalgic stuff is lost on me lol

I absolutely LOVE that they have the city name on the chest. And block numbers with drop shadow ? Why does every jersey in MLS have the same basic number template ? Seeing these is such a breath of fresh air. 

On 7/20/2024 at 8:16 PM, bushy said:

I may sound biased as a Miami sports fan, but these are my favorite soccer kits ever. I’m also a newer fan so the nostalgic stuff is lost on me lol

I absolutely LOVE that they have the city name on the chest. And block numbers with drop shadow ? Why does every jersey in MLS have the same basic number template ? Seeing these is such a breath of fresh air. 

Is ESPN aware that the MLS season is currently ongoing? Seems quite a bit unaware considering they just wore these in a match the other night.

spacer.png

I will admit it is bizarre the MLS third kits launch in the middle of the season. Seems so silly to release them only to be worn for 3-4 months and then never seen again. Hopefully MLS can make thirds a standard offering and on a similar two year cycle. That would be ok, even if they kept the release mid-season.

• Like 2

ESPN can't even bother itself to acknowledge MLS exists outside of a weekly "what did Messi do" segment. Of course their social admin is clueless the season is ongoing.

They aren't the leader in sports anymore, it's just shoveling WNBA down our throats because it's their passion project and idiot on-air personalities being their main product. 

• Like 4
  • Eyeroll 2

10 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Is ESPN aware that the MLS season is currently ongoing? Seems quite a bit unaware considering they just wore these in a match the other night.

spacer.png

I will admit it is bizarre the MLS third kits launch in the middle of the season. Seems so silly to release them only to be worn for 3-4 months and then never seen again. Hopefully MLS can make thirds a standard offering and on a similar two year cycle. That would be ok, even if they kept the release mid-season.

25 minutes ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

ESPN can't even bother itself to acknowledge MLS exists outside of a weekly "what did Messi do" segment. Of course their social admin is clueless the season is ongoing.

They aren't the leader in sports anymore, it's just shoveling WNBA down our throats because it's their passion project and idiot on-air personalities being their main product. 

They're showing off the WNBA because they have a contract. MLS is nothing to ESPN, now that they don't have games to sell to sports fans on a Wednesday night during the summer. As far as releasing new kits in the middle of summer, it makes sense if they plan to have them used for the majority of Leagues Cup games. There aren't too many teal teams in soccer, so Inter Miami running with these for most of those games will help sell a lot of shirts. The one team that probably won't get a lot of work out of their third kit is Sporting KC, which is pretty sad when they are one of the oldest teams playing in a third kit this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The third kits launched for Atlanta, Toronto, New York teams etc. last season were only worn a couple of times through the end of the season, as far as I'm aware. Which felt like a waste. Should've been kept into this year too. 

• Like 2

My understanding is that this "archive" series will continue next year with more teams. Similar to Adidas' NHL Reverse Retro Program. Although a little more spread out like the MLB's city connect series.