2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

17 minutes ago, Sport said:

I think if you have some zany colors then it's best to show restraint in how they're used.

Again, take the inaugural Sharks sweater, which was quite traditional in its striping pattern, but had a brand-new and trendy color which on its own carried the novelty of the design. The Silicon Valley Flyers design they went for in the early 2000s was much less interesting despite being more novel.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

So what are your thoughts on these unis then?
01hyejjjnzxzbc0tea6y.jpg

USATSI_19923580-scaled.jpg

I feel like 75% of this thread forms their opinions through selective outrage about anything new teams unveil. Let the league be colorful.

Both of these schemes would look better with subtle black accents for contrast.  They would still look colourful, they just wouldn't look as loud and borderline garish.  The Sabres look great because there's enough contrast between the dark blue and the yellow & white.  They can keep the coloured equipment though.

BFBS is one of the most annoying phrases ever coined here.  The idea that a uniform is automatically improved by removing black might be true a lot of the time, but there are exceptions.  Namely teams using mostly lighter colors.

• Applause 1
  • Dislike 9

32 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

Both of these schemes would look better with subtle black accents for contrast.  They would still look colourful, they just wouldn't look as loud and borderline garish.  The Sabres look great because there's enough contrast between the dark blue and the yellow & white.  They can keep the coloured equipment though.

BFBS is one of the most annoying phrases ever coined here.  The idea that a uniform is automatically improved by removing black might be true a lot of the time, but there are exceptions.  Namely teams using mostly lighter colors.

Except that isn't what BFBS is. BFBS is adding black where it historically hasn't been, and especially the act of creating a black uniform where black isn't a major team color.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2

It's where I sit.

6 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

AP22274714993892-1.jpg?w=1280
01hyejjjnzxzbc0tea6y.jpg

I feel like 75% of this thread forms their opinions through selective outrage about anything new teams unveil. Let the league be colorful.

Three beautiful uniforms right there. Fully agree 110%.

6 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

F8hcp5eW8AAvJvC?format=jpg&name=4096x409

That is what the Ducks should've gone with back in '93, minus the 1D Mighty Ducks logo. Straight and horizontal striping and a single font outline.

That shade of plum purple is beautiful. If the Kings were to embrace purple again, starting as a 3rd but without going back to the Forum Blue purple, I wouldn't hesitate to try using this maroon-like shade of purple with silver. Would make an awesome combo and critics wouldn't have to play the NBA Lakers card.

2 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

The North Stars look, I can see your argument. The late 80s/early 90s kelly green/yellow/black looked great.

As for the Flames, their classic 80s look is one of my favorite uniforms of all time. I'm never gonna be a big fan of the 2000s red/yellow/black. Not because it's a bad look necessarily, but because it's not the classic uniform. But that's just my opinion.

• Like 2
  • Huh? 1

8 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

AP22274714993892-1.jpg?w=1280
01hyejjjnzxzbc0tea6y.jpg

I'm not sure why you ask my opinion if you're going to throw in that garbage at the end.

We could have a discussion about it, but you've already dismissed any point I could make as "selective outrage" and part of group think, then what's the point?  

You have different opinions than me.  Cool.  We could discuss it.  But you've decided that any opinion that's different than yours is not valid.  

• Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Except that isn't what BFBS is. BFBS is adding black where it historically hasn't been, and especially the act of creating a black uniform where black isn't a major team color.

Fair enough.  But that doesn't mean the addition of black to a uniform that hasn't used it historically always results in an inferior look.  Which is what annoys me about the phrase.  

In the case of the Northstars and Flames, it did a great job of adding contrast and definition to a palette that was overly bright...  In my extremely unpopular opinion 😉.

2 hours ago, ruttep said:

This is unnecessary.

See: New York Rangers

"Guideline" would have been a better word than "rule".  There's definitely no 100% rule that applies in every situation.  Yes, the Rangers would look dumb with blue sweaters and red helmets.

Let me amend my "guideline" - if the pants are darker than the sweater, then the helmet generally looks better when matched to the pants.  I'm sure there's other exceptions.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I’m also just not a fan of the North Stars’ identity post-Barons merger. Thick, garish stripes (with white and yellow touching a lot) and the drop shadow really don’t make for a good look. I’m in favor of a simplified North Stars design:

spacer.png

@TheLAKnight had the right idea with single-layer lettering and white & yellow not touching.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Meh 1

This is unnecessary.

See: New York Rangers

Agreed. Also, the original Capitals and original NJ Devils away red sweaters with matching red helmets. The Devils need to go back to the red lids, even with red and black.

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

The North Stars look, I can see your argument. The late 80s/early 90s kelly green/yellow/black looked great.

As for the Flames, their classic 80s look is one of my favorite uniforms of all time. I'm never gonna be a big fan of the 2000s red/yellow/black. Not because it's a bad look necessarily, but because it's not the classic uniform. But that's just my opinion.

I recall the North Stars using a darker kelly green in the 70's and early 80's. Wasn't as bright as the Wild's '78 3rds. A deeper kelly green or even a forest green(like the Wild's current home unis) with yellow-gold works perfectly together with no unnecessary black accents and equipment.

12 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm not sure why you ask my opinion if you're going to throw in that garbage at the end.

We could have a discussion about it, but you've already dismissed any point I could make as "selective outrage" and part of group think, then what's the point?  

You have different opinions than me.  Cool.  We could discuss it.  But you've decided that any opinion that's different than yours is not valid.  

Waa waa waa. You had a bad take. I’m allowed to call it a bad take. No one would have said “all mono-hockey uniforms are awful” if the Ducks and Sharks hadn’t released new jerseys. No one has any issues with the Red Wings or Sabres.

Edited by DTConcepts
Added context, less snark
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, DTConcepts said:

Waa waa waa. You had a bad take. I’m allowed to call it a bad take. No one would have said “all mono-hockey uniforms are awful” if the Ducks and Sharks hadn’t released new jerseys. No one has any issues with the Red Wings or Sabres.

Just a heads up - the minimum age to be a forum member is 13 years old.

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Thank you.

I respect your opinion.  How you feel about the classic look is how I feel about the 2004-07 set.  I'm sure nostalgia for 2004 has a lot to do with it but I still think those uniforms look fantastic.  And I like them much more than the current retro set.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m also just not a fan of the North Stars’ identity post-Barons merger. Thick, garish stripes (with white and yellow touching a lot) and the drop shadow really don’t make for a good look. I’m in favor of a simplified North Stars design:

spacer.png

@TheLAKnight had the right idea with single-layer lettering and white & yellow not touching.

The North Stars look post-Barons merger is one of my all-time favourite professional sports uniforms and one of the most beloved among most fans. It made for beautiful uniform matchups with teams like the Flames, ie. their '81 semifinal and even in Vancouver against my Canucks wearing their bold and unique home yellows. My first-ever live NHL game was at MSG...Rangers vs the North Stars. Those gorgeous green, white and yellow-gold uniforms were beautiful to see live.

The North Stars concepts you posted look great. However, I disagree with yellow not touching white in relation to font outlines. If it's a yellow-gold/Athletic gold, it complements the forest green beautifully. Like it does with the Sabres' royal blue.

Sports, including hockey, is supposed to be fun and entertaining. Colour needs to be part of it. We're not talking about loud pastel colours like pink and lavender purple here. Just basic primary and secondary colours and a few different shades that have a slight kick to them like teal, turquoise and aqua-coloured ice blue.

My tastes are more for simplified designs. It’s definitely not everybody’s taste, but I like seeing more done with less. Overly-complicated striping, shadows, and unneeded colors (e.g., black) are clutter to me. As I said, it’s more my personal preference than anything else.

Also, I’m not keen on metallics/metallic-likes (gold, yellow-gold, silver, and grey) being outlined in white. Too much blurring together, when either no outlines (Dallas Stars) or a double outline (old Bruins) would work.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

My tastes are more for simplified designs. It’s definitely not everybody’s taste, but I like seeing more done with less. Overly-complicated striping, shadows, and unneeded colors (e.g., black) are clutter to me. As I said, it’s more my personal preference than anything else.

Also, I’m not keen on metallics/metallic-likes (gold, yellow-gold, silver, and grey) being outlined in white. Too much blurring together, when either no outlines (Dallas Stars) or a double outline (old Bruins) would work.

Fair enough.🙂👍