2024 NFL Changes

13 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I'll echo oldschoolvikings and DPHF by agreeing that the Vikings wordmark is one of the best in the league. It's one of the few that can take its location name on equal footing, which is rarer than you'd think at first: I don't think I've ever seen "Pittsburgh" with "Steelers" or "San Francisco" with "49ers,"  for example.

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Correct.  It's a beaut.

spacer.png

I kinda miss this one. In fact I miss the Metrodome as a whole, one of only two domes I really liked in Football/Baseball, the other one being the Skydome.

884.gif

• Like 6

bSLCtu2.png

And now we can all ponder the delightful coincidence of the Minnesota Vikings using a font very similar to the one used on "The Love Boat."

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does anyone know what the purpose is/was for the white portion of NFL socks? I can't remember if those were sanitary socks or some kind of ankle wrap. When I say purpose, I mean function, not fashion.

Great post about this ridiculous trend of 'icy' uniforms in the NFL...pretty impressive for a young Gen-Z whippersnapper:

https://uni-watch.com/2024/06/07/the-meaning-of-clean/

Those developments, I’m sure many uni-watchers would agree, are positive. But the push for icy white is not without downsides. There’s a limit to minimalism, as we’ve seen with the teams that eschew pants striping. The Jaguars’ uniforms fail to make use of their color scheme, choosing a mostly barren design instead. There’s a monotony to so many teams piling onto one trend.

The push toward “clean” uniforms may produce some great results, but it also might have contributed to an influx of mono combinations. Teams forget the value of contrast between a jersey and pants. The Saints have been inexplicably married to their all-black combo for years. The Bills often go all-blue for big games. A variety of color rush-style alternate designs persist, including in new sets.

Plus, “clean” has become sort of a buzzword, a catch-all to describe a perceived quality uniform. There’s a danger of over-simplification, ignoring the various components that go into a good design. Teams that think too much about the “clean” designation risk overlooking design elements that make up both old and new classics.

There’s more to a good uniform than a mostly blank canvas. But it doesn’t seem that “icy white” and frigid social media emojis are going away any time soon.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DPHF said:

spacer.png

Who put Aaron Jones' 3s so far apart? In the unveiling videos, it's that way on his back as well. Everyone else's numbers are appropriately spaced, though. 

Well at least they fixed the stupid different number fonts for each digit

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

And now we can all ponder the delightful coincidence of the Minnesota Vikings using a font very similar to the one used on "The Love Boat."

The very same font indeed, Futura Black Stencil, the only difference being The Love Boat turned the second O into a porthole.

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

The 49ers used to put "San Francisco" in one of the endzones in 80s playoff games

I had never seen that before and I like it. It redeems a team script I never particularly cared for.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, rfraser85 said:

Does anyone know what the purpose is/was for the white portion of NFL socks? I can't remember if those were sanitary socks or some kind of ankle wrap. When I say purpose, I mean function, not fashion.

If I recall correctly, the color portion of the sock had dyes that could either (1) run, or (2) be actually hazardous due to the chemicals used in the coloring process. The 'sanitary' sock was just that - something to keep the player 'sanitary'.

It's where I sit.

On 6/6/2024 at 9:43 AM, Old School Fool said:

Minnesota is one of the only teams who need a dome. North winters are brutal.

Still,  it’s contradictory to call this uniform “Winter Warrior” when the team plays indoors. 

Green Bay doesn’t have an issue with playing outdoors. 

• Like 2
NYCdog.png

2 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The very same font indeed, Futura Black Stencil, the only difference being The Love Boat turned the second O into a porthole.

Hmmm...did anyone on the Vikings staff remember this when they decided to use the Love Boat font? Wonder if Fred Smoot was involved...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings_boat_party_scandal

Minnesota Vikings Love Boat Scandal

An anonymous former player of the Minnesota Vikings claimed that this is not the first time that such an incident had happened.[4] The scandal has sometimes been referred to as the Love Boat scandal after the television program, or as the Smoot Boat Scandal in the news.

Allegedly, photographs were taken at the party showing people engaging in sexual intercourse. Four of the players were charged with misdemeanors related to the events.

spacer.png

Other way around. They switched from the Norse lettering to stencil sometime in the '80s and had switched back by 2004 or 2005.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/6/2024 at 7:13 AM, NH4 said:

About what we expected. Another unnecessary uniform but if they were going to do this, the coloring of the stripes should be flipped but whatever

................................................................................................................................. :censored:! 😡

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

On 6/6/2024 at 3:47 PM, DPHF said:

spacer.png

Who put Aaron Jones' 3s so far apart? In the unveiling videos, it's that way on his back as well. Everyone else's numbers are appropriately spaced, though. 

Anyway, echoing @oldschoolvikings, please don't let this be a precursor to a wordmark change. Their current one is among the best, if not the best, in the league. It has character and fits the team perfectly. They got the wordmark correct at their founding, and seemed to  realize that previously when reverting back to it from their generic nineties stenciled one. 

THAT IS THE STUPIDIST IDEA THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS EVER COME UP WITH!!! WHITE HELMETS WHEN THEIR LOGO IS WHITE?!!!! I AM ABOUT TO DESTROY SOMETHING LOOKING AT THIS GARBAGE! EVEN THE NUMBER TYPEFACE MAKES IT LOOK GOOFY!

I am done! I am absolutely done!

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2

58 minutes ago, PurpleHayes said:

No, you're not. 'Cause this guy says you will keep watching:

spacer.png

...even after Goodell allows teams to have 27+ alternate uniforms!!

Roger Goodell is a pos and I really think he should just go stick his head back in his butt. He is a useless, money grubbing. He is as worse as Jim Herd and Vince Russo. He is another dumb blockhead punk who thinks he knows about football. He only knows the business just like the people WWE has hired now.

I just watch UFL, and I love the UFL too. But the NFL is segregating me into a few teams. Then afterwards, it's done, the classic games are what I watch on YouTube. I am done with the new crap. I am 43 and done with the goofiness of this generation. So, Roger Goodell can shove his marketing ploy up his butt. He is a blockhead from Bedrock.

• LOL 3
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 3

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

Roger Goodell is a pos and I really think he should just go stick his head back in his butt. He is a useless, money grubbing. He is as worse as Jim Herd and Vince Russo. He is another dumb blockhead punk who thinks he knows about football. He only knows the business just like the people WWE has hired now.

I just watch UFL, and I love the UFL too. But the NFL is segregating me into a few teams. Then afterwards, it's done, the classic games are what I watch on YouTube. I am done with the new crap. I am 43 and done with the goofiness of this generation. So, Roger Goodell can shove his marketing ploy up his butt. He is a blockhead from Bedrock.

Bedrock? You sure you’re only 43 with that reference to prehistory?

• LOL 1

6 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

If I recall correctly, the color portion of the sock had dyes that could either (1) run, or (2) be actually hazardous due to the chemicals used in the coloring process. The 'sanitary' sock was just that - something to keep the player 'sanitary'.

Thanks. I wonder now if the dye's safe enough that the socks can just be solid color or made to have the calf portion in the right color. If not, that might explain the white socks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I know in early baseball, it was the dye used being toxic which is why baseball used sanitary white socks with stirrups. Wouldnt be shocked if it was the same for football.

And @rfraser85, comes down to an established football look. The function might not be there anymore, but it's what defines a proper football uniform look. even if a lot of teams arent doing it anymore

• Like 1

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 6/2/2024 at 1:30 PM, Silver_Star said:

Makes lots of sense. They did do that. I always wondered what dark teal and athletic gold would look like together.

It looks fine, definitely evokes like a weird Green Bay redesign.

ejD450D.jpeg

I always thought powder blue would be a nice add if they ever wanted to add an additional color, not that far from Tulane. In their history, in the city flag too like the athletic gold.

O80eVjM.jpeg
This is as it is now with the charcoal, dreary as always

GWnKrqG.jpeg
Though I think whenever they do make a uniform change, it’ll just add little bits of Kelly and drop the charcoal, for like the Nike logos, perhaps as little highlights 

jADS7vU.jpeg
Though think whenever they change the font, the numbers will be bolder sans serif with some silver feathering inside them like the logo/wings. Just seems like a Nike thing of late like the Cardinals, Texans, etc.

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Bedrock? You sure you’re only 43 with that reference to prehistory?

It is better for me to say that instead of how I REALLY feel about him. Because that would of gotten me ban for works and sentences I shouldn't even use.

• LOL 1