2024 NFL Changes

4 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

I just hate these stripeless pants, man. I know it's nitpicky or whatever. Old man yells at cloud stuff. But these ruin the entire uniform for me.  I hope they change again in 5 years. 

spacer.png

“It’s simple…we kill the Blue Pants.” 

This problem goes away if they wear Silver pants like they’re supposed to.

• Like 15

32 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Compare with last year's decals:

0cb0b3dd-7a3b-4e81-86c6-dd53b11652f2-USP

Yeah last year's decals (and prior) are definitely closer to royal, and this year's decals were more of an attempt at Honolulu blue, but they're just a shade or two off for whatever reason.  Could be a material issue (vinyl vs clothing). Almost seems like someone said "Yeah that's close enough" and they stopped testing. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

13 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

“It’s simple…we kill the Blue Pants.” 

This problem goes away if they wear Silver pants like they’re supposed to.

Shocked that everyone is focused on the blue pants, when the white pants are the true villains.

The ideal solution is two sets of blue pants: one with the home jersey striping and the other with the alternate helmet striping… but if that’s asking too much, stripeless blue pants are the best solution.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Yeah I don't really buy that they couldn't get the correct color paint for the facemask in 2024.  And I don't think the decals are "Carolina Blue" either.

I wonder if they're process blue, that is, the shade of blue the Panthers use, which is often incorrectly named Carolina blue.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, GFB said:

Shocked that everyone is focused on the blue pants, when the white pants are the true villains.

The ideal solution is two sets of blue pants: one with the home jersey striping and the other with the alternate helmet striping… but if that’s asking too much, stripeless blue pants are the best solution.

Ideal solution is no blue pants.   Gray pants home & away.  End.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Meh 2
  • Dislike 1

21 hours ago, GFB said:

My biggest annoyance with the new Lions look is that the blue on the helmet decals and facemask is a shade-and-a-half too light and doesn’t match the blue on the uniforms.

74730813007-usatsi-23950724.jpg

74729504007-2165409953.jpg

It’s possible that this is rain-related, but it’s hard not to notice

My biggest gripe is the size of that Detroit. It clearly does not fit in the NFL as they were hastily removed with  Jets and Browns. It ruins this set and the Cardinals set for me. If the Cardinals just had Cardinal versions of their away unis they would be a top 10 set.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I agree that the mismatch is noticeable, certainly. I'd go the other way though: the jersey and pants look too close to royal, and the helmet is actually closer to what I'd think "Honolulu blue" should be.

Oh yeah totally agreed there. I do think the helmet blue is better than the near-royal blue of the jersey/pants, but it's still a liiittle too light, and I don't like any blue on the facemask. Wish they'd find a shade right in between those two. Just...go with the Barry era blue. Or just go back to that set completely.

- Current logo

- Barry Sanders era jersey uniforms. Add a little shine to the stripes or numbers if ya want.

- Thanksgiving throwbacks (with the slightly darker shades of blue and silver)

- If you must do all-black or iCyyY, for the love of god just include pants stripes. Wear it 2x max per season, and never mix those uniform's elements with the main set (Jets).

Boom, done. No need to ever change again. Have some restraint with your alternates, and you can still maintain that revenue stream of new merchandise sales while having a solid and consistent brand. One of the best in the league, at that. 

edit: wait hold up. I just caught up on more pictures from the game, and that helmet blue is just ridiculous. If I had to pick between those two shades, it would be the darker blue on the rest of the uniform. Adding white back into the uniforms was all I ever wanted, but dang this whiff on the blue is a big bummer. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GFB said:

Hard disagreement from me.

1) Practically speaking, the helmet shade is too light to contrast properly with the silver... that's a major problem when those are your only two colors. The 90's jerseys had this same problem; anytime the silver touched the blue directly (like on the number outlines), it blended together:

gettyimages-51616378-e1573136685895.jpg?

45427101081d009002d4cc32555173d9.jpg

It's funny how the helmets used to have royal blue decals much darker than the jerseys, and now that problem is now reversed... anyway, modern recreations of that uniform don't have that problem:

615027804.jpg.jpg

2) The helmet blue is too into the Carolina blue category, which wouldn't be a problem, but considering the Panthers also use silver helmet and a big cat logo, some differentiation between the two teams is good:

usatsi_22201931.jpg

01j4tf66v2wdpnjapcb1.jpg

If I'm going to delineate between NFL blues this is how I would sort them (from lightest to darkest):

Titans

Chargers

Panthers

---

Lions (sweet spot)

---

Rams

Colts

Giants

For those reasons, the uniform shade of blue is nearly perfect for me... Nike should be commended. It's the facemask paint and decal printing that needs to be adjusted.. and luckily, that's possible without altering any parts of the actual uniform as teams swap out decals and facemasks regularly (though they won't).

This is an excellent assessment. I think it's just the way the colors read to my eyes (and it is certainly not based on any brand-defined Pantone colors, etc.), but the blues the Lions have been using have been moving away from the blue used in the 80s and 90s (and, I suppose, before that as well, though I have no firsthand recollections of that because I was born in '85) ever since they added black to their uniforms in 2003. Especially the blue they were using from 2017-2023. That blue seemed far more saturated, and much closer to a "true" blue (i.e. closer to #0000FF than the blue they used in the 90s), where what I think of as Honolulu blue is not really close to that true blue, but something less saturated with a slight lean toward green (e.g. #4477CC or something along those lines).

I think the reason I prefer the blue they're using on the helmet as opposed to the blue on the jersey/pants is just because it's a little further away from that true blue. In my initial post I used the term royal blue as a stand in, though in hindsight, that may not have been the best term to use to convey my point! And I agree that the helmet shade of blue isn't ideal either. Ideally, they'd wear the 80s/90s shade. But given the choice between the two, the helmet shade is the one I like better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, gimmick said:

I thought the Lions Barry Sanders era uniforms were perfect, but I actually didn't mind the set they just changed from.

If they would have stuck with these...spacer.pngspacer.png

This set and the new one need to be combined into one because both have flaws. The numbers on the old one aren't very good, especially the silver numbers on the blue jerseys. And the clear "homage" to the Bears with the WCF initials was just dumb. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1

19 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I agree with this take. The primary blue and white jerseys with only silver pants would be perfect for the Lions. The issue is that there's stripeless blue and white pants that bring the entire thing down (not to mention the BFBS uniform)

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Meh 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Of course Washington hypes up the inclusion of gold pants and chooses not to wear them. The Commanders burgundy over white combo is flat out bad. Plain white pants with burgundy jerseys that have a minimal amount of white is not a good look. I was hoping the white pants would be limited to use with the white jerseys (and burgundy socks) now that the gold pants are in rotation.

• Like 7

Hotter Than July > Thriller

On 8/9/2024 at 4:57 PM, HOOVER said:

I don’t mind the Lions with blue pants. It helps brighten the away set up. If anyone shouldn’t be wearing blue pants it’s the Patriots.

• Like 3

Denver's helmet & numbers are an upgrade, as is the uniform overall, but in totality, it stinks.

The sleeves, collar, and pant stripes are bad.

Throwbacks are the answer.

11 minutes ago, Ark said:

"Modern" uniform designs are too minimalistic. Jaguars exemplify that

You're referencing a design that came out 5ish years ago, when the more recent non-throwbackish designs are the Texans and Broncos, which very few would consider "minimalistic".

Everything goes in cycles, and I think contemporary sports design is past "minimalism", but unfortunately, it may have overcorrected. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

48 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Denver's helmet & numbers are an upgrade, as is the uniform overall, but in totality, it stinks.

The sleeves, collar, and pant stripes are bad.

Throwbacks are the answer.

I definitely like this white look over the previous white look. Overall an upgrade, but could have been way better

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

You're referencing a design that came out 5ish years ago, when the more recent non-throwbackish designs are the Texans and Broncos, which very few would consider "minimalistic".

Everything goes in cycles, and I think contemporary sports design is past "minimalism", but unfortunately, it may have overcorrected. 

Definitely compared to the 90s and 2000s. Design features from that time aren't always good though, such as excessive piping