2024 NFL Changes

3 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I would welcome stencil numbers if they ditched the wordmark AND the rinky-dink high school girls volleyball jersey number font and went back to the original full block:

CUSVHSL4NANZANAXDQURKQOKYM.JPG

TWSPTWHLZNFONEF7LXYEPOG7VU.jpg

And yes, ditch the Black on the Away jerseys and get back to Gold:

1711693773.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

rjennntgiutrpx7tabwk.jpg

Stencil the Full Block like this and you're completely fine:

455389778.0.jpg

NOTE:  It's a shame they went away from the (Mod Edit) Washington uniform, it really was iconic.  The WFT helmet is what held it back; put the new Commanders helmet on that old uniform and call it a franchise.

I would have agreed on the block stencil but recently I noticed that back in World War II, stenciled lettering was often rounded not block. So I'm willing to roll with it.

Vehicles_4_Jeep.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I would have agreed on the block stencil but recently I noticed that back in World War II, stenciled lettering was often rounded not block. So I'm willing to roll with it.

Vehicles_4_Jeep.jpg

I like that specific Army font.  Also would be an upgrade over their current custom font (which is super similar to the Bengals' font, is it not?)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Personal preference, I find glossy helmet shells highly overrated.   The satin look that the Commanders, Vikings, and Falcons use is far more appealing and using glossy decals provides some finish contrast that to me, works better than "all gloss".   

The Army picture you posted shows just how great glossy/metallic helmets look (and Army should go back to that helmet instead of the current satin/matte)

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

Blame her:

Tanya-Snyder.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

That's Tanya Snyder, former owner Dan's wife, who he allowed to design the uniforms...because she supposedly had a 'background' in fashion...have to wonder what school she went to for that, but I'm guessing they used Crayons.

That Disastrous Car Homer Simpson Designed Was Actually Ahead of Its Time |  WIRED

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • LOL 6

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The Army picture you posted shows just how great glossy/metallic helmets look (and Army should go back to that helmet instead of the current satin/matte)

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I think there's a difference between Glossy and Metallic, and metallic "colors" like Gold or Silver.

First, standard glossy is just Black with a gloss finish.

Glossy Metallic could be Black with Black metallic flakes and a gloss finish.  Different than the above and more or less appealing, subjectively.

Metallic "colors" like Gold or Silver are almost always going to look great with a glossy finish because that's how we often see those metals elsewhere, though matte or satin finishes - like the current matte gold trend in home hardware - can look great also.  But I don't think it's necessarily fair to lump them in with straight glossy colors.

Again, my personal preference is a Matte or Satin solid color finish vs a Glossy solid color any day of the week.  

19 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I think there's a difference between Glossy and Metallic, and metallic "colors" like Gold or Silver.

Glossy Metallic could be Black with Black metallic flakes and a gloss finish.  Different than the above and more or less appealing, subjectively.

Metallic "colors" like Gold or Silver are almost always going to look great with a glossy finish because that's how we often see those metals elsewhere, though matte or satin finishes - like the current matte gold trend in home hardware - can look great also.  But I don't think it's necessarily fair to lump them in with straight glossy colors.

Again, my personal preference is a Matte or Satin solid color finish vs a Glossy solid color any day of the week.  

There are just so many examples of glossy/glossy metallic helmets that looks better than matte/satin though. 

The Chiefs,  Bears, Rams.  Eagles. Ravens, Steelers, Texans, Jets, Jaguars,- just to name a few - all look better with glossy/glossy metallic than they would if they had satin/matte finishes. 

In the College thread you said CU has a great white helmet....that's a metallic pearlescent finish. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

There are just so many examples of glossy/glossy metallic helmets that looks better than matte/satin though. 

The Chiefs,  Bears, Rams.  Eagles. Ravens, Steelers, Texans, Jets, Jaguars,- just to name a few - all look better with glossy/glossy metallic than they would if they had satin/matte finishes. 

In the College thread you said CU has a great white helmet....that's a metallic pearlescent finish. 

Subjective.  I think the Bears, Eagles, Ravens and Jaguars would all look better with a softer (matte or satin) finish.  I think the Chiefs and Steelers are perfect as they are. 

The Texans modified their finish from molded gloss Navy to metallic...it was an upgrade.  Jets look great with their super glossy finish.  It's subjective and its case-by-case.  

As for White helmets, the finish rarely makes a difference there, it's just not discernible enough.   Colorado's white helmet looks great because of the combination of their logo, black facemask, and black hardware, as does any team that uses that combo as their base.  I don't know what year this photo was taken, but this looks like a molded White or even a matte White, not sure what they're using now:

usatsi_9581630.webp

Again, just expressing my opinion, which is most of the time, I think matte/satin looks better.

Denver this year is a great example...they went from a glossy molded Navy to a Satin Navy and it's an upgrade, IMO. 

riddell-denver-broncos-revolution-speed-DenverBroncosRiddellSpeedFlexHelmet-Alte

The Vikings are the best example:

USATSI_6531856_168380616_lowres-1024x683

usa_today_12876176.jpg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Wouldn't you mean color w/gloss finish? Because there are plenty of helmets that come in gloss that are a different color.

For example:

I'd say that this: 

spacer.png

Is better than this:

spacer.png

The matte/satin finish looks off here, considering the circumstances. I will disagree with you on the Denver helmet, as the satin finish I think brings the look down. I much rather the Broncos have done something like this instead:

spacer.png

I believe the Navy on the Broncos new set is darker (it looks that way to me at least) and would say they could have done a darker helmet with a gloss finish. 

In the case of the Vikings, more so it was done to attempt to match the purples more I believe, as the color hue didn't quite match the jerseys at the time.

I do think it is all very subjective, and I agree with the more "nature" materials (I.e. gold, silver, copper) look better with a more metallic finish, but Washington's current helmet could do with it having a glossier finish, I feel like it just looks off. They can keep the decal & stripe and facemask all the colors, but it would benefit from being glossier overall imo. Again, all subjective.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Subjective.  I think the Bears, Eagles, Ravens and Jaguars would all look better with a softer (matte or satin) finish.  I think the Chiefs and Steelers are perfect as they are. 

The Texans modified their finish from molded gloss Navy to metallic...it was an upgrade.  Jets look great with their super glossy finish.  It's subjective and its case-by-case. 

Denver this year is a great example...they went from a glossy molded Navy to a Satin Navy and it's an upgrade, IMO. 

riddell-denver-broncos-revolution-speed-

The Jaguars half matte black helmets/half gold helmets just looked terrible...the matte didn't look good. The high gloss black helmets are an upgrade. The matte black is just so dull (just like the dull red of Iowa State's matte that just looks awful). 

Jacksonville - HELMET HISTORY

And just a semantic point...the 02-23 Texans and 97-23 Broncos helmets always had metallic flakes in them from Day 1.

DenverBroncosRiddellSpeedFlexHelmet01_ab489b4d-fc0f-4b5b-9c65-3b0971c2b5d2_1024x.jpg?v=1716999056

MIAMI GARDENS, FLORIDA - NOVEMBER 07: A detail of a Houston Texans helmet against the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium on November 07, 2021 in Miami Gardens, Florida. (Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images)

The only molded gloss team with no metallic paint is the Steelers (and maybe a couple of throwbacks, like the Giants and Eagles). 

54 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Subjective. 

riddell-denver-broncos-revolution-speed-DenverBroncosRiddellSpeedFlexHelmet-Alte

usa_today_12876176.jpg

Absolutely it's subjective, because both of your arguments above fall totally in the other camp for me.

• Like 5

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, WBeltz said:

In the case of the Vikings, more so it was done to attempt to match the purples more I believe, as the color hue didn't quite match the jerseys at the time.

The Vikings’ glossy purple helmet matched their old (terrible) uniforms just fine:

U6GEhyg.jpg

They switched to matte/satin with the 2013 rebrand, just for the sake of it, but it didn’t match the purple of the jersey (it’s a bit “redder”):

Txq9spc.jpg

They fixed this ahead of the 2019 season (old on right, new on left):

v4TR5nQ.jpg

Personally, I generally prefer matte/satin helmets to gloss, definitely so in the Vikings’ case, as I like it being a more solid color that matches the jersey, instead of there being a shine. Same goes for matte vs. sheen pants.

But there are some colors where gloss works better: I think the Falcons are the only team that looks good with a satin black helmet, otherwise gloss is better, as the Jags’ 2018 redesign showed.

Obviously, metallic colors such as gold & silver are better with a shine, as well.

• Like 6

While I’m here, a few things I wanted to catch up on that I didn’t get to address, now that the season has just started:

• The Jags’ alternate white helmet is simply terrible. Especially when teal was right there (a glossy teal would’ve looked gorgeous). I can’t remember if I commented on the throwbacks, but they look good, besides the gold sleeve stripe which is way  too light, on the retail jerseys & seemingly the in-game ones, as well. It doesn’t even match the gold of the jaguar on the sleeve.
  • The Packers white helmet looks awful, as well. Absolutely nothing redeeming about it. Really baffling that there’s no gold beyond the invisible flecks, resulting in yet another mismatched striping pattern.
  • I’d never liked the idea of the Bengals having orange pants, especially since Cleveland’s look so good, but I might be able to be convinced. The all-orange combo looks surprisingly good so far, the black socks really help with that. I’m still not sure I’d like the orange pants with the black or white jerseys, though.
  • It’s about time Washington brought in gold pants. They still shouldn’t be plain, though, & the jerseys & name still stink. 
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, tBBP said:

I don't know how it took me this long to realize the Commies'  burgundy jerseys' numbers are stenciled while the white jerseys' numbers are not...like what da eff?? 

Also, only because that Army picture is posted: again, further proof that the New Orleans Saitna can opt to color-correct if they so chose...Nuke can obviously pull off the fabric color. (NFL Properties would see to the helmets, with input from the team.)

You mean Nike can pull off the fabric color. Nuke is what should be done to the Commanders’ current set (and their current nickname if we’re being honest). 

• LOL 1

4 hours ago, HOOVER said:

As for White helmets, the finish rarely makes a difference there, it's just not discernible enough.   Colorado's white helmet looks great because of the combination of their logo, black facemask, and black hardware, as does any team that uses that combo as their base.  I don't know what year this photo was taken, but this looks like a molded White or even a matte White, not sure what they're using now:

usatsi_9581630.webp

Again, just expressing my opinion, which is most of the time, I think matte/satin looks better.

usa_today_12876176.jpg

For me it’s kind of a case-by-case thing. I probably like the Vikes’ helmet better with a satin finish but the black facemask makes it a wash, at best, compared to its predecessors. 

Satin finishes can work at times. I’m not sure pure matte finishes ever look good…they look like a car that the factory stopped painting after applying the primer. 

Another poster already said this, but I think the Falcons have the only non-glossy black helmet that I actually like…and it would suck if it were pure matte, but a satin finish paired with that chrome facemask gives it an “iced-out” look that I really dig. 

Metallic-colored helmets need to have metal-flake paint AND glossy finish. Bright, warm-colored helmets (red, orange, yellow) should ALWAYS be glossy - the Browns looked okay with satin finish but better with gloss. Sky blue can be either glossy or satin, but navy blue has to be glossy - Seattle makes satin look okay but it would be better if the helmet were gloss except for the “stripe”. Royal blue I’m kind of undecided on but lean toward gloss. I love the Giants’ metal-flake paint on their regular helmets too. Green helmets shouldn’t be dull - the Eagles and especially Jets do a good job making theirs nice and shiny. White, I agree with you - not much difference either way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

The fact that I can’t really tell from a distance that the Eagles helmets are black is all I need to know about how pointless they are.

Same. If I didn’t know they were black, I could convince myself that they were green and the lighting was weird.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Now this  is the type of “mismatched” uniforms I’d love to see—

GWz-IKbXsAApKOn?format=jpg&name=large
GWz-IKZXsAAPTUI?format=jpg&name=900x900
GWz-IKqWkAAflj1?format=jpg&name=large

Ah...precisely what I was talking about in a prior post. Make that happen, Atlanta.

17 hours ago, MJD7 said:

While I’m here, a few things I wanted to catch up on that I didn’t get to address, now that the season has just started:

• The Jags’ alternate white helmet is simply terrible. Especially when teal was right there (a glossy teal would’ve looked gorgeous). I can’t remember if I commented on the throwbacks, but they look good, besides the gold sleeve stripe which is way  too light, on the retail jerseys & seemingly the in-game ones, as well. It doesn’t even match the gold of the jaguar on the sleeve.

That was touched on pages (and months) ago, as well, but the gold was about that light/washed out on the original uniforms, as well. (Don't ask me why; I have no idea.) I actually had to dig out my '95 Brunell jersey to confirm and sure enough...the gold sleeve trim is just as washed out. One of those head-scratching idiosyncrasies that just make you go, "#WHYTHO?".

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||